What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Did a little experiment this morning. I paired a Voskhod with my 37C (a mild blade that is known to be a good match with the slant) and shaved my right side (the easy side). And I paired a Perma-Sharp (3) with my R41 GS and shaved my left side (the tricky side). Not meant to be a fair contest, just curious. The Voskhod/37C felt autopilot safe - no danger of a nick and very comfortable and mowed down the whiskers with a bit of over and over the same spots style of shave. The R41GS/Perma-Sharp side is more similar to a straight razor shave where you feel the blade right on your skin and only go over each patch of skin once.

The R41 side was done after two passes. The 37C side was very nice after 3 passes but I did a quick touch-up with the R41 on the jawline and corner of the mouth to bring the right side up to match the left. It would have been more scientific to have used same blade in the two razors and not touch-up the 37C side with the R41 - but it wasn't trying to do science :letterk1: Both were really enjoyable shaves and no noticeable irritation on either side. Post shave my face feels really good on both sides. I was kind of expecting more irritation on the 37C side because of more contact time of blade to skin. But I got a really comfortable shave with both of them. Could shave in the dark and half asleep with the 37C - the R41 requires some respect and careful attention (and my morning espresso helped too). I sure love shaving with the R41. It is so quick with very little contact time on the skin.

I've got several B&M soaps on the way (was 25% off sale on the 4th). This Paganini's Violin is one I've had for a while but haven't used much. The Omnibus lathers up really easily for me and gives a terrific shave, looking forward to some of the other scents I have coming!
1715183417494.png

May 8, 2024 Wednesday shave

Razor: 1953 Gillette 40's style Super Speed Y2
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Soap: Razorock Caribbean Holiday
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Silvertip badger
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

This would normally be a non-shave day, but I shaved anyway. It was an easy three pass shave, no weepers, etc. and no irritation. I didn't push for the perfect shave, the goal was to enjoy the shave and new soap.

9/10 Very pleasant

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 05_08_24.jpg

Day 8 of all injector month.
EverSharp Hydromagic
New Topco chrome platinum blade
Aveeno
8/10. Perfectly passable.

A little diversion, if you’re bored.
This HydroMagic came to me in damaged condition. The safety bar appeared to be bent and dented, almost as if someone had used it to scrape a cabinet or paint. I did my usual mechanical cleanup, straightened the bar with a vise and some judicial tapping with a hammer and punch, and entered it in the rotation.

The Topco blades I acquired in a famous auction site for about 25 cents per ten. They are the double hole injectors and shave adequately anywhere from 5-10 times.

I really don’t like Aveeno. I like its texture and feel adequately, but somehow the “no scent” formula reminds me of rotten oatmeal. I won’t be using it again.

Carry on!

20240507_083911.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 SS 1.05, Timeless Ti Crown handle
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium
Brush: Trotter Handcrafts Samish Dusk in Manchurian badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Zingari Man Rogue
Aftershave: Zingari Man Rogue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Ten

Pre Shave:Hot water, TOBS Pre-Shave Gel
Razor:Henson AL13 v2 mild
Blade:Tatra Platinum (1)
# Days Growth:2
Soap/Cream:Canada Shaving Soap
Brush:Simpson's Duke 2 Best Badger
Post Shave:Cold water, Thayers, Nivea, Proraso White
Weepers:0
Nicks/cuts:2 (my fault)
Sharpness:10
Comfort:10

Fantastic shave (my errors notwithstanding). This soap provides so much cushion and slickness that I shave closer than usual. The razor just flies over my face!

Photo is of our dear departed Jake (1994-2007).

DSD_5700 from C1.jpg

I have two other RR soaps that I just received, along with the XXX. I haven't tried them, yet.
I have tried the RR New York. I'm terrible at describing scents and fragrances, but the New York has a lemon / floral scent. It struck me as leaning slightly towards the heavy end of the scent spectrum. I didn't like it at first, but after a while the intensity of the scent decreased and now it's one of my favorites. But, as you know, the performance of these soaps is really good, and that is really a bigger factor for me than scent. At $5 per 5 oz. tub, it's a no-brainer to pick up a few!
The key for these soaps is to load enough product. Learned that with my basic TFS "Red Bowl". Once you do that the performance appears to be consistent regardless of the extra ingredients added to the base. I just used my new RR Classic Italian for the second time today and other than the scent difference the lather was just as good as that from my XXX yesterday. These are a bargain at a sale price of $4 -$5 per tub.

Will be curious to see if my new Mudder Focker provides different performance than my other RR soaps beyond scent.

Pre: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap Bar
Razor: Timeless Ti .95SB Matte with Crown handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (1)
Soap: Stirling Sharp-Dressed Man
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft
Bowl: Timeless
Post-Shave: Stirling SDM AS and Cella Bio Balm

What a stellar combination of razor and blade, 10/10. I never fully appreciated the hype surrounding these blades until now, and I'm sad that I neglected to hoard more before they disappeared!

Ti 95SB 5.8.24.jpg

Top Bottom