What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre Shave: Wash face with warm water.
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70.
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue, shave #1.
Soap/Cream: Stirling Island Man shave soap.
Lather Method: Bowl lather.
Brush: Zenith 507 BC bleached boar.
Post Shave: Rinse with warm water, Stirling Boat Drinks post shave balm.
Rating: 9.0/10.

Razorock Mamba was up for a blade change today, so I chose one of my favourites, the Gillette Silver Blue. The Silver Blue is one of those blades which for me, is a sure bet for a superb shave regardless of the brush or soap I select. I ended up choosing the Zenith 507 with bleached boar and paired up with another new soap, the Stirling Island Man. Island man is supposed to be an intoxicating blend of bergamot, lime, mandarin, coconut, jasmine, hibiscus, ylang-ylang, ginger, sugarcane, musk, and rum. I took a single scoop, mashed it into my shave bowl, adding a touch of water allowing it to soften the soap as I had my brush also soaking. After a minutes, I shook the excess water out of the brush and began working a lather. Right off the hop, there was an intense mix of scents coming from the soap. It was strong, powerful, intriguing, yet not something I found quite to my taste. The lather was created and as I was working it over the beard, I found this scent to be too intense for my liking and decided it would be the first and only time using this soap. Sometimes we win some, sometimes we lose some. Today unfortunately was a loss. With the application of the lather complete, I cleared the sideburns and began the shave going with two passes, a WTG and an XTG pass. Regardless of the scent profile and I not getting along, the lather was incredibly slick and provided tonnes of cushion and slickness for the razor to easily do it's job with absolutely no irritation, pulling or discomfort whatsoever. I can at least say every Stirling soap I have tried is slick. I rinsed off the remaining soap and ended up applying Olay moisturizing lotion, as I was not going to use the Island Man aftershave balm. The photo with the Island Man aftershave balm had already been taken, and I was not about to reset everything up for an aftershave balm change.

FullSizeRender 33.jpg

FullSizeRender 35.jpg

Happy Wednesday!

OK - every time I use Ethos soap, I’m like - why don’t I use this every day?? The post-shave experience is just top notch. Frank has this down to a science (literally). This grapefruit version is super-fresh, but adding a few drops of the grapefruit concentrate, put it over-the-top.

Excellent BBS shave today!

Pre: Shower
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Razor: G. Wostenholm & Son Straight
Soap: Ethos Melange d’agrumes
Toner: Thayer‘s - Unscented
Splash: None Today
Serum: Jack Black Protein Serum
Balm: Zingari Man Aftershave Balm - Unscented
EDP: HC&C Citrus Bomb layered with Goldfield & Banks Bohemian Lime

3 Passes
No Knicks, Cuts, Irritation

Shave Rating: 10

IMG_3188.jpeg

Preshave: Glycerine Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Feather Artist Club SR Folding :straight:
Blade : Feather Super Professional (D11)
Brush : Simpsob Chubby 3 in Manchurian Badger
Soap : MdC Rose
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + D R Harris Arlington AS Lotion

Close and comfortable BBS in 3 passes !! :pipe:

Rating : 9.81/10

Feather-Artist-Club-SR-Blue-Folding-Razor.jpgfeather_pro_super11.jpg
MdC_ROSE.jpgChubby3ManchurianBW.jpgDRHarris_Arlington_BW.jpg

Thu 9
Soap & Aftershave Stirling Iced Pineapple
Brush Yaqi 24mm Cavern Lake
Razor Wade & Butcher 7/8 Steamship Wedge
I love this soap & splash set. Super creamy & slick plus a cooling & intoxicating scent...
This razor was also refreshed on the 0.1um diamond balsa followed by the HBA. The resulting edge feels soft, buttery smooth, and comfortably keen...Rating 10!!
20240509_124808.jpg

Date09.05.2024
366 daily shaves
130/366

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 2.0IIGillette Rubie (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (14)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8/10 (Few weepers)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Splendid razor for a heavenly shave this Ascension Day. Could have been closer and smoother. Tomorrow is another day and another shave.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Razor: S. K. Colling 7/8 Abalone scales
Hone: Dan’s Black Ark
Brush: Omega 10049 “Big Red”
Soap: Mike’s Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Ramblin’ Man

I made a comment yesterday that I was going to use Wm. Neumann Shaving Cream today, but I was out. Don’t worry, I already ordered more.

“Big Red” and Mike’s made great lather this morning. I like that giant boar for face lathering.

I love the scent of Mike’s Lemongrass & Eucalyptus. It’s perfect for Spring.

Great WTG/ATG shave this morning. The steel was keen, lather was perfect, and whiskers were swept away. 9.9/10.
IMG_2638.jpeg

GRUME 09 May 2024

Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report

1715252740828.jpeg

TODAY’ SHAVE AND CLEANUP:

Water
Razor(s)
Shaving Blade
Buffing Blade
Prep
Soap
Brushes
Rain (small
container)
Prep Cold Shave Hot​
KCG Shaving
VDH Buffing & tight spots​
Bic Chrome
#55 of 100
Shave #
King C. Gillette
7 of 10
Cube 2.0 Menthol
Left Timeless Blue Bowl​
Noble Otter Lonestar
Right
Timeless Blue Bowl​

Noble Otter​
1 Prep
2 Lathering

Passes
Quality
Rating
Nicks
Weepers
Stubble
2​
DFS+​
10.0​
0​
2​
Moderate​

Comments: A good shave for a day full of errands, and preparing for some potentially severe weather this afternoon.

Cleanup:
  • Rinsed & dried face
  • Witch Hazel Dickinsons f/b buffing
  • A/S Aqua Musk f/b buffing
  • Omega Alum stick
  • Deodorant: Mennen Speed Stick

Morning shave - 5/9/24
Razor: Swing SB
Blade: Derby Premium (5/5) (4)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Pilssoft RR400
Aftershave: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Switched to another Swedish razor in the Swing. Another awesome razor and it did not let down either. Very easy shave albeit with more blade feel than the Matador I used yesterday. Smooth and plenty close.

Day 9 of all injector month.
Christy razor handle
5th shave Topco chrome platinum injector blade
Aveeno
7/10. Adequate, but not outstanding.

I felt me SE’s were lonesome, so I put a 10th shave AccuTec blade in a Gem Featherweight for cleanup. Pretty sure that blade is done as well. Quality of shaves was equal to others this week, but I felt like I was scraping instead of shaving (both blades need to be replaced).

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Sandelholz Rasierseife Beruhigend (tallow formula)
Brush
B&B LE 2014 by Rudy Vey
Bowl
Captains Choice Copper
Razor
Feather AS-D2
Blade
Feather
Aftershave
Thayers WH & TOBS ASB
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
9/10
Comments
This was the seventh and final day I used my Feather AS-D2 razor with a Feather blade. The blade finally started to lose its sharpness and I will go with another razor and blade tomorrow. I was holding the razor with a wet hand and as a result the razor was too loose. The result was a small nick under Today’s brush is the B&B LE brush with a Shavemac knot. The DO-1 two-band knot has quite a bit of backbone. Some find it hard on the face but it works for me. The Haslinger soap was used for the 11th time. This is the old, tallow version of the soap and works best if used daily. Today’s shave was a perfect BBS shave. Have a wonderful day, folks.

Top Bottom