What's new

What did you hone today?

Refinished on Belgian stones from Chosera 10k. Simply to compare. Both were great shaves. 50 in BBW with slurry and 50 on the Coti with water.

IMG_5592.jpeg

Session 2 with the helje on the black ark. Seems like the edge actually got another great bump and is reaching the scary sharp zone. A lot of the thuri scratches appear to be gone now and I don't see any edge damage under the scope. Will probably give it another session before I actually shave with it depending on how the edge changes.

Cheers

Made some time after lunch to hone some UK mail call goodies. I also lapped a stone for @Wid, not sure what it is but it’s hard as woodpecker lips.
Honed both razors on old solid yellow coticule. The Geo Wedge was finished on a Moughton, and as per request the Bizmark went from Coti to Thuringian, then finished on the hard as hell mystery stone.

We will see how they do.
IMG_6132.jpeg

Made some time after lunch to hone some UK mail call goodies. I also lapped a stone for @Wid, not sure what it is but it’s hard as woodpecker lips.
Honed both razors on old solid yellow coticule. The Geo Wedge was finished on a Moughton, and as per request the Bizmark went from Coti to Thuringian, then finished on the hard as hell mystery stone.

We will see how they do.
View attachment 1842489

That is a Penrhiw stone. I got that from @cotedupy along with some other stones . It’s a novaculite from Wales.

After a breake-in period, this 8k dmt has impressed me.
It cuts as fast as a 1k, but leaves allot less damage to clean up.
The bevel was set on the dmt plate after blunting the edge.
It only took a few minutes on a tomo slurry to finish the edge.
There is still deeper striations on the bevel, but I shave with the edge, and don't care how the bevel looks.
20240509_115904.jpg

2024-05-09-11-56-58.png

A touch up on my GENCO Henry X.
Coti with light slurry diluted to clean water, and then the finishing laps were under a trickle of running water.

Great shave with this edge this morning. I’m loving learning the mysteries of honing and different rocks.
IMG_2656.jpeg

IMG_6568.jpeg

New Ralf Aust came with a rather nice bevel and decent edge, however, it needed to “go to eleven”.
Quick trip to a Naniwa 3k SS followed by a session on the Water of Ayr. I do like that stone.
Much better end result. Now if I can only get over those sad scales☹️

I had a nice new coticule arrive a little bit ago, and so I broke out an old Fritz Bracht test razor. This razor only had one use and was last finished on a very very nice JNAT.

This big coticule is super fast on just water, and the striations observed on the bevel near the edge under the loupe are so tight, uniform, and light…I was reminded of ones off of a nice Thuringian!

The HHT was perfection. I will shave test after I crush my seven year old at checkers!

IMG_2596.jpeg
IMG_2597.jpeg
IMG_2598.jpeg
IMG_2599.jpeg
IMG_2601.jpeg

It took me awhile to figure out this coticule. I bought this stone several years ago. The only thing I was able to do was set bevel and get to what I would call 6k edge. Well, it too for some time and developing a feel for this stone. Now I'm to finish a very good finished edge. While not as keen as my Old Rock coticule yet. I'm getting close. It really does a very good job on my stainless razors. I shaved with this Dovo 42 wedge this morning. Amazing shave from a rock that almost threw in towel. I'm very happy I didn't sell it. Was close but decided not to give up. Jnats are still my favorite but these coticules are moving up in the ranks when they were my least favorite stones. Took some time but I've come around.
IMG_20240511_162549576.jpg

Last edited:
Stainless Fr
It took me awhile to figure out this coticule. I bought this stone several years ago. The only thing I was able to do was set bevel and get to what I would call 6k edge. Well, it too for some time and developing a feel for this stone. Now I'm to finish a very good finished edge. While not as keen as my Old Rock coticule yet. I'm getting close. It really does a very good job on my stainless razors. I shaved with this Dovo 42 wedge this morning. Amazing shave from a rock that almost threw in towel. I'm very happy I didn't sell it. Was close but decided not to give up. Jnats are still my favorite but these coticules are moving up in the ranks when they were my least favorite stones. Took some time but I've come around.View attachment 1844605
Any tips or insights for getting these somewhat coarse stones to bump up to the next level? I have a couple with similar look, similar story. I'm working on my technique.

This DD arrived today, and I figured I might as well test the fraternal twin of the one above. The first pic is dry…second pic wet. They both perform similarly and the scratch patterns look the same to my eye under the cheap loupe.

I do think we are going to be okay with this one!

IMG_2679.jpeg
IMG_2680.jpeg
IMG_2681.jpeg

Top Bottom