What's new

What did you hone today?

Stainless Fr

Any tips or insights for getting these somewhat coarse stones to bump up to the next level? I have a couple with similar look, similar story. I'm working on my technique.
I would not say it's a coarser stone, but it feels like a softer stone to the touch and to the blade. I did session with water with drop on stone. Did about 30 laps or more. Then I used a small running water like a light stream/trickle of water on the slightly soapy stone while continuing my strokes and blade starts drag/stick to the stone. I believe that trickling water breaks the tension of the soapy water on the stone and causes blade drag just right on the stone finish the blade. This stainless Dovo 42 is probably my most difficult blade to hone due to the size and shape. It's slightly warped. The finish edge is the best I've been able put this blade which very good on all accounts. I'm starting to understand these coticules more and can eventually skip the soapy water part but I'm quite there yet but I'm getting close. Very comparable to my Old Rock coticule which is harder stone when comes to the keen and comfort. That surprised me and was unexpected in a very good way. My feel in my fingers is also more dialed in than when it comes to using Coticules than in the past.

This time honing uses Taiwan Stone+Mejiro Nagura .
G. JOHNSON & CO. "dart & Pipe" Sheffield Razor 5/8" , lead wedge, 1880~1890.
20240512-1.jpg
20240512-2.jpg
20240512-3.jpg

20240512-4.jpg

Stainless Fr

Any tips or insights for getting these somewhat coarse stones to bump up to the next level? I have a couple with similar look, similar story. I'm working on my technique.
Sorry but it's getting harder to post properly on this site with multiple typos for some reason while using my phone. The first part in my last message was left out was using soap and water on the stone first. Following the rest as explained in my first reply.

Five Star Japanese frameback. Went to a Chosera 3K to Naniwa Pro 5K to the La Verte with slurry diluted down to water. That didn’t give an edge I’d shave with.

Broke out the Suehiro 10K with slurry. Did a few sets of dilutions to water. Went to the La Verte with just water. Did around 100 x strokes. Now that worked and the shave was stellar.

IMG_2630.jpeg
IMG_2627.jpeg

Trying to hit the apex of and find steel free of rot in a super abused Rodgers double thumb notch that had a huge amount of rot, was honed freehand at a crazy angle where the bevel was convex and insanely thick, and whoever decided on that route apparently first tried abusing it flat on the hone but toe heavy so the spine geometry is off wo creative taping.

Can you tell us more about the Taiwan stone? I've never seen one, except for in your posts.
This was half a century ago. My father picked it up in the mountains of Taiwan and took it home to sharpen his knives. Last year I used razor honing. I haven't found anyone selling this kind of stone in Taiwan, and the grain size of the stone is about #10000~#12000, so I often use it. .

1715779033377.png

1715780885463.png

Roughest razor on the site?

(It was already quite worn when it came to me, fwiw.)

Shaved (successfully) with it, pausing wet-faced after three passes to run the razor through a synthetic progression, then shaving some more. Still the least keen of the few shave-ready razors I have, but even with all those shaving passes, there was no irritation. The razor's too dull, yet the good post-shave feel is very good; isn't that odd?

Helje had its third finishing session on the black ark today. Noticed a small improvement but not as large as session two. Will probably give it a shave soon to see how the edge turned out. Was fun to do up until now as a way to clear the mind after work.

Top Bottom