What's new

What did you hone today?

Still trying the new coticule. Jointed the edge and set the bevel on a Chosera 3K. From there did a diluticot on the LV.

Shave test next. HHT was good off the stone.

IMG_2523.jpeg
IMG_2525.jpeg

Torrey redone on an old hand-sawn kiita (would love help on the writing if anyone has an idea). I didn’t care for the Lyn idwal edge I made last time.

Geo wolstemholmenshiretopothemorning got the honor of the first pass on the antique coti. Came to me with a passable thuri edge, but took it back to 5 then 8k to make sure it was set up for a new finisher.

IMG_6970.jpeg
IMG_6969.jpeg

Torrey redone on an old hand-sawn kiita (would love help on the writing if anyone has an idea). I didn’t care for the Lyn idwal edge I made last time.

Geo wolstemholmenshiretopothemorning got the honor of the first pass on the antique coti. Came to me with a passable thuri edge, but took it back to 5 then 8k to make sure it was set up for a new finisher.

View attachment 1840697View attachment 1840699
If I had a generic, undeserved pejorative for Jnats and Cotis it would be: Cotis, nice and comfy, thanks buddy, but could you be a little sharper? And Jnats, whoowie that’s a nice, close, brisk shave but could you leave the 3rd-9th layers of my epidermis alone please?

With these two stones it was exactly the opposite. Even the wife nose-nuzzle test said the coti side was closer and smoother, despite giving the Jnat cheek a second ATG pass (coti only got one). I think this one has some promise. The Jnat shave was darn nice as well, not to disparage it. But the coti was so out of character from my normal range of experience. Really a treat.

Just finished polishing the scales and blade of the Filarmónica 14 Doble Temple. Honing:
1. Establish the bevel on Norton 4k. No counting only feeling and TPT.
2. About 75 light passes on the 8k side.
3. Finished with 60 light passes on Chosera 10k

Will test shave later:

DSC_5847.jpeg

Joseph Allen & Sons Medium Size Hollow Ground Etched, Non XXL touched up on my newest Coticle.

Started with light slurry, diluted to clear water, and finished under a trickle of running water.

Very comfortable during the shave. Much to learn about my new Coticle, but so far I’m enjoying discovering it’s nuances and character.

I have been working on this Joseph Rodgers 13/16” Wedge for a few days. It had and has some serious pitting, but I finally found good steel (for now). Would love to know how old it is. I did all the grunt work on 1k & 3k, and there was a lot. Then went coticule Dilucot and finished off on Charnwood and penetrating oil, shave test tonight.

IMG_6039.jpeg

Bit of testing going on. Helje had a great ark edge from thuri to ark. Only had 1 shave so I did another session on the ark today. Probably going to give it another couple of sessions and compare it to an ark edge off 1 session. Just wondering if my edge changes much after crazy long times on the ark.

Cheers

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Second outing for the ‘Death Star’ that arrived Friday, refreshed a Rinnet with a Kouseki 10k (not pictured) with gujyo slurry, the the Death Star with hard kiita slurry. HHT is right where it should be, looking forward to tomorrow’s shave.

IMG_0655.jpeg

GENCO De Roma
Bevel Set through finish on my new Coticle.
I’ve never set a bevel with a Coti before but my enthusiasm for this rock made me go for it.
A little over my skis, but the result was nice and I learned a lot.

I could probably use some more finishing laps to make it a bit sharper, but it was super comfortable and gave an easy DFS shave.
IMG_2618.jpeg

Early morning coffee table honing.
I have slowly put together this set of Mikawa Nagura and I really like it. The set I had before did not give as much noted feedback transition.

2 rounds on Botan and Tenjo, 1 round on Mejiro & Koma, finish on light misty tomo to water. Ready for tonight.

IMG_6070.jpeg

Top Bottom