What's new

What did you hone today?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Classic combo today, Thuri and coti. The results were as expected, the coti wins smoothness, the Thuri wins sharpness. Altogether I preferred the coti edge, but the Thuri edge was also very good.

IMG_0505.jpeg

Water of Ayr Scotch (really should be “Scottish”) hone. Where have you been all of my life?
Amping up the edge on my Dovo Palisander with a Rozsutec Slovakian followed by the recently acquired WoA resulted in an insanely efficient and most comfortable removal of a multi-day growth. Really must think about picking up a Tam O’ Shanter to join the party.
IMG_6267.jpeg

Tula razor honed with Morihei 4k, 9k and 12k.
A small Nakayama mizu asagi with a liberal amount of slurry was used for the finish.
This razor still had the factory bevel the first time i honed it.
My first edge did not hold up to more then a few shaves.
I think these were intended to be maintained and finished with a pasted strop. The factory bevel angle was measured to 15 deg.
So, one layer of tape was used, and the edge was finished with slurry to get a little more meat behind the edge.
I had a really comfortable shave. Hopefully the edge will hold a little better now.
20240328_112415.jpg

Nakayama maruka and tenjou + meirjo after the naniwa 5k. Reset the bevel on my thiers issard and went 2k, 6k, 10k to tomo however the edge wasn't all the way there. Thinking I went from the 6k to 10k to early - might get the shapton Rockstar 3k so that the 6k doesn't have so much work. Komo and tomo will be next when I have more time.

First use of the Ozuku was supposed to be a light touchup of the Koraat 14 2.0, but the best laid plans, etc.

Started with a diamond slurry and, it left a few small chips in the edge. Went back to the Shapton Glass 2k to cut a clean bevel, and then gave the Ozuku a good lapping with a worn diamond plate and then a mikawa nagura. Resumed from there with mikawa slurry and ptrogressed to water before finishing with light laps with a tiny bit of lather. Edge looks great and HHT was solid. Shave in half an hour.

koraat-ozuku.jpg

Eben Stone

Staff member
20240330_120836.jpg

Got a good edge on my Starlet. I'm quite proud of myself, considering the toe has a slight bend to it like it might have been dropped and the sides right above the edge looks wavy. So I just used lots of X strokes with the full length of the blade. I used Shapton HR 1k, 3k, film 4.5k, 6k, 14k, and ended with 14k with paper.

Thanks @H Brad Boonshaft for the suggestion to shave off the 1u film. This edge makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong with the balsa.

I think this is the best edge I've shaved with so far. My shave isn't very close but I didn't notice any resistance shaving mustache ATG.

Honed my Bengal near wedge on Jnat then my Klas Tornblom rattler on Jnat followed by black Ark on oil.
Great HHT from both.
I find the better I get at this the more relaxing it gets.
I’ve been honing my small rotation of razors for about five years now, I wonder is my technique pretty much maxed out yet or am I still capable of big improvements with the stones I have.
I like to think it’s the latter.
IMG_1837.jpeg
IMG_1836.jpeg
IMG_1841.jpeg
IMG_1840.jpeg

I have a Tanifuji that had some tarnish on it. I decided to do some heavy sanding
IMG_8778.jpeg
work, trying to get rid of pitting that had been there all along, but in the process managed to put a chip in the edge. So had to go through an entire progression from SG500 via King 800 and 1200, SP 2000 and 5000, then a coticule and finally a JNat. Treetopping nicely after the strop, will try it out at some point next week.

Honed my Bengal near wedge on Jnat then my Klas Tornblom rattler on Jnat followed by black Ark on oil.
Great HHT from both.
I find the better I get at this the more relaxing it gets.
I’ve been honing my small rotation of razors for about five years now, I wonder is my technique pretty much maxed out yet or am I still capable of big improvements with the stones I have.
I like to think it’s the latter.View attachment 1820908View attachment 1820906View attachment 1820907View attachment 1820909
It's frustrating until you get the hang of it.

Top Bottom