What's new

What Are You Reading?

How does For Whom the Bells Toll read?
Interesting framing of the question. It has been a while since I have read much Hemingway. I think Bell reads similarly to Old Man. At the time the latter came out I think it was considered a return to form at to the earlier Hemingway works such as Bell. There seems to be some specific criticism of Bell's dialogue as being an implied translation from Spanish and being a tad awkward for Hemingway. I cannot speak directly to that. I thought I was a fan of Hemingway's style, but the last time I read much of him, his style seemed a bit dated to me. Perhaps a bit self-aware. But many folks love his style and Bell is frequently cited as among his best works, as is Old Man. I have a sense that I like Hemingway's shorter works more than his longer works. But my guess is that if you like Old Man, you will like Bell.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Interesting framing of the question. It has been a while since I have read much Hemingway. I think Bell reads similarly to Old Man. At the time the latter came out I think it was considered a return to form at to the earlier Hemingway works such as Bell. There seems to be some specific criticism of Bell's dialogue as being an implied translation from Spanish and being a tad awkward for Hemingway. I cannot speak directly to that. I thought I was a fan of Hemingway's style, but the last time I read much of him, his style seemed a bit dated to me. Perhaps a bit self-aware. But many folks love his style and Bell is frequently cited as among his best works, as is Old Man. I have a sense that I like Hemingway's shorter works more than his longer works. But my guess is that if you like Old Man, you will like Bell.
Knize:
1709686294222.png
...once you get pass his tendency to write 'in the first person' and 'the prose of the times'...Hemingway (...i.e., "The Sun Also Rises"), is always a good read. :thumbsup:

1709433206625.gif
"There is no friend as loyal as a book". Ernest Hemingway

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
In the spirit of Shōgun...I'm waiting on Mike Richardson's and Stan Sakai's Illustrated "47 Ronin" :thumbsup:

"A classic tale that will captivate lovers of Japan, history, and epic adventure alike. Japan's most celebrated tale of chivalry, loyalty and revenge - and the basis for a Hollywood feature film starring Keanu Reaves - 47 Ronin is the epic tale of a heroic band of Samurai warriors who defy the Japanese Emperor to avenge the honour of their fallen master.

proxy.php
The story begins in 1701 when the noble Lord Asano attacks an official at court. His punishment is swift and harsh - the Emperor orders Lord Asano to commit ritual suicide ( harikiri ).

His lands are confiscated, his family exiled, and his Samurai warrior brigade is disbanded - becoming Ronin or masterless, wandering renegades. While appearing to follow the Emperor's instructions, the 47 Ronin plot in secret for many years, biding their time until the moment to strike is right.

Like the story of the Knights of the Round Table, the Ronin's deeds became legendary, iconic examples of courage, cunning and loyalty in an age when the Samurai were true heroes and honor was something worth dying for".
1709848232877.gif

proxy.php
1709847875226.jpeg
proxy.php
proxy.php
1709849188206.jpeg

reading-jpg.862509
"Reading is to mind what exercise is to the body". Joseph Addison

Last edited:
A Spy Alone, by Charles Beaumont. He is an ex-MI5 operative and this is his first book. Amazon says it is the first in the "Oxford Spies" series. It's pretty good, it follows a guy who was at Oxford, joins MI-5 and then goes freelance (possibly autobiographical?). Initially it's a bit hard to follow as he jumps the narrative from place to place and time periods, so I took it with me when we went away last weekend - wife went shopping for a chunk of time and I could concentrate on it.

If and when there are others they will be on the wish-list.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Found two the, I recall How the West Was Won as a movie, credited to Louis when I was on my first date at the opening of the first movie theatre back home. Despite the date (maybe 1963?) I love Louis Lamour

IMG_0198.jpeg

“A brilliant and poignant history of the friendship between two great war poets, Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen, alongside a narrative investigation of the origins of PTSD and the literary response to World War I”
No matter the quantity or quality of written material or film, I don’t think we can fully grasp the depth of brutality experienced by soldiers in WW1. And we still grapple with the consequences in so many ways - emotional, political, economic to name but a few.

Any success with The Old Man and The Sea, or the short stories book you recently bought?
Thanks for asking. Honestly, the short stories were a no for me. Hemingway so far isn't doing it for me either. I'll see if my interest gets peaked as I get more into the old man's journey. Maybe I'm broke. I'm considering trying a 2nd book by HG Wells . Someone here was reading Invisible Man, so I read and enjoyed that. So I'm considering trying Time Machine. My OCD Tendencies are more comfortable with reading books in the order in which they are written. Once I reawaken my reading persona, I'll latch on and tear through a lot written by 1 author. Once I'm able to train my brain to settle down, I really want to give Gentleman in Moscow a try, it really sounds good. 😊😊

It probably doesn't fit my self image, but, I found Remarkably Bright Creatures a very satisfying read. A gift at Christmas, I didn't pick it up for a while. Once I did, it turned out to be a good read. Twanged some strings for me anyway ..

I really enjoyed that one. A good book is a good book. I think it's worth the wait, for those who are pending the novel.

Top Bottom