What's new

What Are You Reading?

Sisingi Kamongo "Shadows in the Sand".
One of a kind book. The most unique war veteran account I have ever read.

Just finished a book on the history of Tobacco called The Smoke of the Gods by Eric Burns last night. He does a fantastic job, but I'm not going to lie: the book was difficult to get through around the 3/4 mark, it slowed down for me after the advent of mass-produced cigarettes.

Tonight I'm starting 1493, Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann then Chivalry by Maurice Keen (if I get to it before it is due back to the library).

Just finished a book on the history of Tobacco called The Smoke of the Gods by Eric Burns last night. He does a fantastic job, but I'm not going to lie: the book was difficult to get through around the 3/4 mark, it slowed down for me after the advent of mass-produced cigarettes.

Tonight I'm starting 1493, Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann then Chivalry by Maurice Keen (if I get to it before it is due back to the library).

Try Tobacco: A Cultural History of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization, by Iain Gately.

I just finished Chinaberry Sidewalks by the terrific singer/songwriter Rodney Crowell, a memoir of his Houston childhood and adolescence. Entertaining and heartbreaking.

"Lawrence of Arabia:The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence" - by Jeremy Wilson. Reading it as prelude to Lawrence's auto-biography "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Finished this morning an excellent read by an author I'd never heard of - a Canadian by the name of Guy Vanderhaeghe. The book was called The Last Crossing .. much more than your standard "oater", this western is perhaps the best tale I've read this year. I already asked the library to find me more of his books, it appears he has at least a Trilogy ..

Set in the 1870's and the Canudian northwest .. felt like Deadwood without Al's constant cussing

Last edited:
"Lawrence of Arabia:The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence" - by Jeremy Wilson. Reading it as prelude to Lawrence's auto-biography "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

Try and get a re-print of the 1922 Oxford text edition of The Seven Pillars if you can, not easy to come by, and not cheap. Failing that, 1935 original editions are fairly easy to come by, it's what I have, but I'm still after an Oxford text edition. When you've read that, try The Mint by 352087 A/c Ross (A.K.A. T. E Lawrence), his memoirs of joining the RAF. Try to get the unedited edition, the normal version has any strong language edited out, though you can guess what they may have said.

Just starting the third book in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series. (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest)

The first book was OK. Unfortunately the last hundred pages hooked me. Loved the second book start to finish. Having a little trouble getting into the third.

Jeff

Top Bottom