What's new

What are you listening to?

Legion

Staff member
proxy.php

Adele's cover of Robert Smith's "Lovesong." Is that perfection or what?

Also, Teddy Pendergast and Mick Hucknall's version of Gamble and Huff's "If You Don't Know Me By Now." Also perfection, unlike the American Idal version I heard tonight. Not that I do not like the singer, but that was not very good and the judge's seemed screwy tonight.

Also, Teddy Pendergast and Mick Hucknall's version of Gamble and Huff's "If You Don't Know Me By Now." Also perfection, unlike the American Idal version I heard tonight. Not that I do not like the singer, but that was not very good and the judge's seemed screwy tonight.

Have you heard the Watson Twins' cover of Just Like Heaven? It adds a slow, dreamlike dimension to the song that I'm sure would put a smile on Smith's sad panda face.

I've been listening to the Black Keys and the Arctic Monkeys nonstop for the last week or so. I took my daughter to see them in concert and she has monopolized all of our home audio to play their albums every since. I haven't reached the saturation point yet.

I stopped into my local Trader Joe's tonight to do some quick shopping. They were blasting Uriah Heep's Greatest Hits. That was an unexpected surprise.

Legion

Staff member

I just YouTubed it. Nice. I'm not familiar with Adele, but I'm a Cure fan from way back.

Adele reminds me a bit of Sia, who I really like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you heard the Watson Twins' cover of Just Like Heaven? It adds a slow, dreamlike dimension to the song that I'm sure would put a smile on Smith's sad panda face.

I've been listening to the Black Keys and the Arctic Monkeys nonstop for the last week or so. I took my daughter to see them in concert and she has monopolized all of our home audio to play their albums every since. I haven't reached the saturation point yet.

I stopped into my local Trader Joe's tonight to do some quick shopping. They were blasting Uriah Heep's Greatest Hits. That was an unexpected surprise.

Sorry to be late getting back to this thread, Chris and David! I just do not seem to get to as many parts of B&B as I used to nowadays. Thanks for the responses and information, etc. Good stuff.

I did not know the Watson Twins at all. Associated with Jenny Lewis and they chose to do "Powderfinger" on a Neil Young tribute album, which makes them alright in my book. Was not able to find that version of Powderfinger on You Tube though.

My close familiarity with Cure cutes is amazingly narrow given how much I like them, although very deep in that I have listened to some Cure stuff over and over. I have to say that "Lovesong" was not a favorite, but is now.

I know the Black Keys are hot, but did the Artic Monkeys do something important lately? How are the groups to you? With both of my kids having been away at school for a while now, I am not keeping up, except the the electronic type stuff my younger son likes, such as Pretty Lights, and I guess Danger Mouse, etc. I do think some of the stuff is truly great.

Uriah Heap, eh? Been a long time since I have heard them. This is awful, but I cannot even remember whether I liked them, or any songs, or personnel. Just the name!

I just YouTubed it. Nice. I'm not familiar with Adele, but I'm a Cure fan from way back.

Adele reminds me a bit of Sia, who I really like.

Sia seems pretty nice. What is it with Oz that always has these cute but excellent young woman singers.

<I'm not familiar with Adele>

Interesting. Adele seems everywhere in the States. One could say she has been overhyped, but I do not know if that it possible. Writes lots of her own stuff, seems like a deep and wonderful person, and is truly about as good a vocalist in a style a truly love as I have ever heard, or frankly can even imagine hearing. Although, like The Cure, I guess, I have listened to certain Adele songs over and over without getting deeply into her latest album "21" which is by all accounts consistently amazing, much less her first album "19."

If you really have not heard her, check out "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You." Both just fabulous to me and fabulous examples of the kind of music they are. I probably OD'd on "Rolling in the Deep," but I think "Someone Like You" could still tear the heart right out of my chest.

These songs are ones contestents on "American Idol" and "The Voice" chose often, and there were some really good performances, showing just how well-written these songs are. But then when you listen to Adele's versions again--the album versions or the many live versions out there--it highlights just how great and emotive a vocalist performer she is. Words fail me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom