What's new

What are the LEAST favorite soap scents you've tried?

You sure can. Smells like it is made from sheep fat. Which is precisely the case.

As luck would have it, a short time ago I wrote fan-mail to the owner of Stirling praising him for having the courage to release a soap formula that authentically smells of its pure ingredients, unmasked by fragrances, for those of us (few?) who enjoy that sort of thing. It has to be "polarizing," with me in the minority camp (I'm afraid).

There is no denying it carries the aroma of sheep fat. I asked them to promise that they will never stop making it. LOL

Bill (who also enjoys the smell of fine leather, a new boar brush, and meat roasting on the grill)
You might want to try their electric sheep, if you like, lemon, and scented soaps, and with the mutton fat. I have it and the scent does not smell of mutton or wool fat.

But..but..but...I rather enjoy the natural fragrance of mutton fat. LOL

Count me in the minority of enthusiasts who don't mind a soap that smells like its authentic ingredients.

Bill
I think the natural lanolin and fat, makes it a preferable soap, and sterling is pretty reasonable cost, particularly now that Mitchell fat has reformulated. I’ve always liked the scent of natural lemon.

I think the natural lanolin and fat, makes it a preferable soap, and sterling is pretty reasonable cost, particularly now that Mitchell fat has reformulated. I’ve always liked the scent of natural lemon.

The Sheep soap, which I'm just trying for the first time, is making my skin feel remarkably healthful post-shave. I like it.

I also use pure lanolin for uses where others might turn to vaseline or lip balms. Fantastic stuff, assuming one isn't sensitive/allergic to it, which I understand many people are.

I'm sure natural lemon is quite pleasant in the Electric version. And that almost anyone who was asked their preference of the unscented regular Sheep vs the Electric would chose the latter.

I realize my enjoying the "unscented" (except by natural odors) version is "odd." But I'm enjoying a soap whose ingredients are unmasked by fragrances. I dig it.

But there is no denying that the Sheep smells of mutton fat. 100%.

I'm impressed (and surprised) that Stirling would offer such a product to the public, but *I* am definitely their "target audience" for this one.

Bill

I have had several soap samples that I wasn’t fond of, Including MdC.
Geo. F Trumpers Eucris though really had to leave he house.

The Sheep soap, which I'm just trying for the first time, is making my skin feel remarkably healthful post-shave. I like it.

I also use pure lanolin for uses where others might turn to vaseline or lip balms. Fantastic stuff, assuming one isn't sensitive/allergic to it, which I understand many people are.

I'm sure natural lemon is quite pleasant in the Electric version. And that almost anyone who was asked their preference of the unscented regular Sheep vs the Electric would chose the latter.

I realize my enjoying the "unscented" (except by natural odors) version is "odd." But I'm enjoying a soap whose ingredients are unmasked by fragrances. I dig it.

I'm impressed (and surprised) that Stirling would offer such a product to the public, but *I* am definitely their "target audience" for this one.

Bill
You are not alone. I dont mind the smell of Stirlings Sheep at all.
It is a very good soap.

Jay

1. Stirling "Texas on fire" (I'm a big Stirling fan--but what were they thinking?_
  2. Arko. just.... Why?
  3. Tabac. Smells like a snuff dipping granny's butt

Bill
This was my favorite--so much so that I started using their Sheep bath soap. Fantastic stuff. I did develop a sensitivity to lanolin, though. Started breaking out in hives on my cheeks and forehead about twice a week. That stopped after I stopped using it.

I now use their Unscented With Beeswax. Equally great, though the lathering technique is a bit different. But the lather is just as luxurious and also longer lasting (it doesn't dissipate)

B&M’s Night Music. It has a pungent smell and brown lather. It takes several days to wash the smell out of my brush after using it once. Oddly enough, it makes a good deodorizer for a large room.

Bill
Electric Sheep is actually a superb performing soap; I pulled it out again the other day.
If I'm honest with myself I would rank it up there with other soaps that cost $10 or more/tub.
It's a very slick/protective soap with a post shave slickness as good as top tier soaps, and I tend to get my smoothest weeperless shaves each time I use it.

1699100285821.png

This was my favorite--so much so that I started using their Sheep bath soap. Fantastic stuff. I did develop a sensitivity to lanolin, though. Started breaking out in hives on my cheeks and forehead about twice a week. That stopped after I stopped using it.

I now use their Unscented With Beeswax. Equally great, though the lathering technique is a bit different. But the lather is just as luxurious and also longer lasting (it doesn't dissipate)

I‘m consistently hearing good things about the Sterling Unscented with Beeswax.

It ranks highly on soaps to try in the near future. Thanks for the recomendation.

Bill

Re-reading and circling back. Sheep bath soap?! Tell me more.

Bill

Barrister and Mann's War, Lavender, le Grand Chypre, full measure of man, were all ones that I didn't care for. Also Cool,. Spice I tried to love but it was too much. I like Seville, Nordost, and Leviathan. Cheshire is decent too, but smells alot like pepper. Tabac isn't great either, which is too bad because it preforms well. Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash got sold too.

But the king of soaps for bad smells, Midnight Stag. My wife bought a sample for me as a gag. That stuff is something else.
LeGrande Chypre smells quite a bit like Coca-cola to me. I quite enjoy the scent.

As for Cheshire, here is what it smells like... if you have ever purchased a one-lb bag of plain M&Ms, there is a particular smell when you open the bag for the first time. It doesn't smell like chocolate, for some reason. It hits you right in the face the moment you open the bag. Cheshire smells like that. If you know, you know.

Re-reading and circling back. Sheep bath soap?! Tell me more.

Bill
If you can tolerate lanolin you should try it--especially if you like the shaving soap. It's about $5.50 per bar. The lather is also luxurious and seems nourishing. I had to switch to Dove unscented for sensitive skin because of the lanolin. Wish I could still use this.

Scent Description

Our flagship soap. This is the soap that started it all and also our most nourishing soap. Sheep Soap is made with mutton tallow that is rich in fatty acids and nutrients, along with lanolin to lock moisture into your skin. You will have a difficult time finding a soap that is better for your skin.

Ingredients

Mutton Tallow, RSPO (Sustainable) Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Distilled Water, Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Lanolin, Sodium Lactate

Bar Size

~5.5oz

Top Bottom