What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

Have gun, will travel so you don't have to pick yours up.

I don't know where in the panhandle you are but I'm just about an hour south of Ft Worth and these are on huntable property about 20 miles from my house.. I can set you up with the guide there. Here's an example most $DSCF1028.jpg$DSCF1032.jpg$DSCF1036.jpgof the blinds. I'ts a 1200 acre honey hole.

After the first three, I think I would have gone to the house for a rifle. The last one looks almost like a muley with those big ears.

To me shooting one with a camera is just as good as shooting one with a gun. We were both there at the same time and I have photographic proof and a witness. That second one and the last one are gonna be blown up and hung on the wall for this season.

Legion

Staff member
A mating pair of wedge-tailed eagles in the western river region of Kangaroo Island. Nothing quite like having a pair of raptors with nearly two metre wing spans (~7 foot) take wing right in front of you when you haven't spotted them in the scrub.

I used to see those things eating road kill by the side of the road. They are so big, from a distance you think they are kangaroos.

I've lived and worked in the bush, so I've seen most animals that Australia has to offer. Echidnas always make me smile. Usually they are the shyest animal in the world, but every now and then you find one that just says "out of my way, I OWN this area" and will just walk right over your boot.

A weasel. I know we have them in our forests, but never seen them. This summer I was cycling on a dust road when I saw something like a stretched-out mouse. On reflection, it was a weasel. Oh and a guy I know saw a dead badger nearby a few days later. I really thought they were extint in Spain.

Some years ago, the wife, the dog and I were traveling down the Alaska Highway in January, a soft snow was falling in the dim winter light when a white wolf crossed our path and just vanished back into the woods.
That, that was something else...

Last edited:
Locally, I have come altogether too close to both a cougar and a wolverine over the past few years...both rarities, but not ones that you want a close encounter with.

A Black Bear when I was much younger in Maine ,on the side of logging road while we were out Moose-Spotting. A Few years ago I also saw a Fisher .

Last edited:
I've seen a few uncommon bird species here in South Texas and Northern Mexico, like an Elegant Trogan, a Great Kiskidee, and a Painted Bunting. I've seen some odd 4 legged creatures as well, including a bobcat that scared a doe I was about to take down. Once the bobcat scared the bejeezus out of the doe, it spotted me in the distance...he's now in my office, so I see him daily.

There have been reports of mountain lions around our ranches (confirmed with game cameras), but I've yet to see one live.

Being a city dweller I don't get the chance to see too many wild animals. Although last summer while playing golf just outside of Houston I saw a pair of Bald Eagles along the Brazos River.

This is mine as well. Now that we live in a more rural area, they're not that uncommon, but they really take your breath away.

When I see one I'm usually fishing in a kayak. Without fail, they show me how it's done.

Top Bottom