What's new

What am i doing wrong?

Legion

Staff member
I've never used a Feather SR blade, but if they are anything like their DE blades I find them TOO sharp. They glide through hair, but also beat up my skin. I feel the same way about crazy sharp diamond paste edges on traditional SR's.

For me the key is finding the right finishing stone that gives a balance between sharp enough to cut the hairs well (with good technique) and leaving no skin irritation or weepers.

Do you know what the final stone used on your two latest razors were?

Sounds like a plan. I'm going camping 5/31 for a couple of days but otherwise I'll be home. When I hone a razor, I finish it at 200K so it will be really sharp What size are your razors?

Pretty sure it is 5/8. Here's the Ebay pictures:

20230517_082227.jpg
20230517_082152.jpg
20230517_081949.jpg
20230517_082028.jpg

I've never used a Feather SR blade, but if they are anything like their DE blades I find them TOO sharp. They glide through hair, but also beat up my skin. I feel the same way about crazy sharp diamond paste edges on traditional SR's.

For me the key is finding the right finishing stone that gives a balance between sharp enough to cut the hairs well (with good technique) and leaving no skin irritation or weepers.

Do you know what the final stone used on your two latest razors were?

I'm not sure. I asked a lot of questions, just not that one.

I spoke to him on the phone yesterday evening and he told me that he made the razors shaving sharp, and tested, cleaned, touched up and stropped both before shipping.

He also indicated that while the razors were perfectly shave ready, he didn't make the edges "too sharp" (though perfectly capable of shaving) since I'm a new shaver and he wanted to be sure the razors weren't overly sharp causing me trouble and putting me off.

It sounded like he was using his own judgement as to what might work best for me in my situation and experience level. He even asked about the characteristics of my beard.

To all:

I'm very encouraged by your responses, and looking forward to trying again.

After reading your recommendations and watching the video, it looks like my angle of attack is way too steep. I'm going to try flattening the razor to see what happens.

My schedule is every other day, and I'm really excited about tomorrow's shave.

I honestly wish I could help, but it sounds as though you have razors that are shave ready. It's very difficult to say long range, but it could be your technique.

Watch this gentleman shave... He knows what he is doing!

I just watched most of the video, and I am comfortable with most of what he does, just a bit more clumsy and slower.

My typical shave with my Feather or Kai goes like this:

First pass WTG on entire face.

Second pass, XTG on cheeks, upper lip and chin, WTG on neck.

Third pass: ATG on neck, lower lip, and cheeks, XTG on upper lip with touchup at nostrils.

I noticed he never does an ATG pass on his neck. Still, I would be thrilled to achieve his level of skill and comfort handling the razor and his result.

I don't have any skills to impart but I totally agree with @rbscebu and @Herrenberg
I can only share my experience...
My initial 3 straight razors were not shave-ready and it took me 2 years to find a local honemeister. My initial shave with them feels wonderful but the end results were unsatisfactory (20 shaves). The DE shaves gave bbs results 99% of the time. I bought 3 AC shavettes using Feather, Kai, and Proline blades and again it was very easy and the results were waaaay better than the SR.

I bought a few more SRs hoping to get better results but nope...(35 shaves) Read, watch, and follow all tips and advice here and utube. I then set up the diamond balsa with @rbscebu mentoring...it did make a significant difference...but...still unsatisfactory! (50 shaves)

Got me some cheap stones then a Naniwa 12k and a LaLune...still unsatisfactory...(100 shaves)

100 to 220 shaves...up and down results...I now prefer the diamond balsa as it gives me better results but some of my razors retain the honemeister jnat edge. I also now tend to easily get irritations.

From 230 shaves onwards...I suddenly feel most of my razor edges are very good and giving me more enjoyment and better results...all my DEs and Shavettes are hardly being touched...😅 I started bringing my SRs during my work travels.

Today is my 350th shave and for the past few days, I have been reducing my customary/mandatory 3 passes to only 2 because for the last month...after a 3 pass shave...I get worried because there's not much growth even after 24 hours. My findings since...
  1. Persevere...poor results, irritations, and frustrations...all part of it. Just keep at it making minor adjustments
  2. Shaving daily with an SR is truly important but giving my skin a break makes a huge improvement
  3. The razor may be shave-ready but my techniques are not
  4. Find what works best for my whiskers and skin by experimenting
  5. Find what works for the razor edge...not all the same. Mine, some perform better with the diamond balsa and some, natural stones. (Get more razors to experiment...😆)
  6. I find some strop can make a huge difference in my razor's edge
  7. My DEs and Shavettes are now truly ignored because the joy of shaving with an SR is indescribable, my wife still thinks I am ok but friends and neighbors think I am a lunatic...😅😆
You are not doing anything wrong...you are just going uphill on your way to finding out that the peak is not too far away! Best of luck and enjoy the journey...the view from the top is spectacular!!

I don't have any skills to impart but I totally agree with @rbscebu and @Herrenberg
I can only share my experience...
My initial 3 straight razors were not shave-ready and it took me 2 years to find a local honemeister. My initial shave with them feels wonderful but the end results were unsatisfactory (20 shaves). The DE shaves gave bbs results 99% of the time. I bought 3 AC shavettes using Feather, Kai, and Proline blades and again it was very easy and the results were waaaay better than the SR.

I bought a few more SRs hoping to get better results but nope...(35 shaves) Read, watch, and follow all tips and advice here and utube. I then set up the diamond balsa with @rbscebu mentoring...it did make a significant difference...but...still unsatisfactory! (50 shaves)

Got me some cheap stones then a Naniwa 12k and a LaLune...still unsatisfactory...(100 shaves)

100 to 220 shaves...up and down results...I now prefer the diamond balsa as it gives me better results but some of my razors retain the honemeister jnat edge. I also now tend to easily get irritations.

From 230 shaves onwards...I suddenly feel most of my razor edges are very good and giving me more enjoyment and better results...all my DEs and Shavettes are hardly being touched...😅 I started bringing my SRs during my work travels.

Today is my 350th shave and for the past few days, I have been reducing my customary/mandatory 3 passes to only 2 because for the last month...after a 3 pass shave...I get worried because there's not much growth even after 24 hours. My findings since...
  1. Persevere...poor results, irritations, and frustrations...all part of it. Just keep at it making minor adjustments
  2. Shaving daily with an SR is truly important but giving my skin a break makes a huge improvement
  3. The razor may be shave-ready but my techniques are not
  4. Find what works best for my whiskers and skin by experimenting
  5. Find what works for the razor edge...not all the same. Mine, some perform better with the diamond balsa and some, natural stones. (Get more razors to experiment...😆)
  6. I find some strop can make a huge difference in my razor's edge
  7. My DEs and Shavettes are now truly ignored because the joy of shaving with an SR is indescribable, my wife still thinks I am ok but friends and neighbors think I am a lunatic...😅😆
You are not doing anything wrong...you are just going uphill on your way to finding out that the peak is not too far away! Best of luck and enjoy the journey...the view from the top is spectacular!!

Thank you.

I'm going to persist, though I'm not sure I have your tenacity.

Glad to hear that things have improved for you, and very encouraging to know that my situation is not unique.

Do you like a quick shave? Maybe that's the problem.

Yes, I have become accustomed to a "quick", autopilot DE shave as my mechanics have improved greatly, but by no means rushing my shavette shaves or my attempts at SR shaving. I'm just not that good at it...yet. 🙂

I'm completely fine with taking my time to achieve the desired result. Like DE shaving, I view it an indulgence to be enjoyed, not a chore. I'd be ok with my SR shaves initially take an hour if I can figure out my technique.

He doing it wrong !!

I've watched so many old movies and every barber in those old movies holds the razor at a ninety degree angle to the skin, takes one pass up the neck removes the lather hair and all, no grubness left behind at all. :eek2:

Yeah, I love the old moving pictures where they lather up a clean-shaven face (off camera of course) then scrape it clean with a butter-knife edge.

If only it were that easy.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yeah, I love the old moving pictures where they lather up a clean-shaven face (off camera of course) then scrape it clean with a butter-knife edge.

If only it were that easy.
Interesting that this came up. My wife was watching an old Bette Davis movie (1930's) a couple of weeks ago and I happened to catch a scene where a guy was shaving with a straight razor and he was actually shaving and properly skilled at it. I didn't stick around to see if he did a second pass.

To all:

I'm very encouraged by your responses, and looking forward to trying again.

After reading your recommendations and watching the video, it looks like my angle of attack is way too steep. I'm going to try flattening the razor to see what happens.

My schedule is every other day, and I'm really excited about tomorrow's shave.
It's good to see so many forum members offering pointers and advice.

My two cents is to tell you to persevere, it absolutely will get better and not only will the shaves get better but your feeling a sense of accomplishment will be the fuel that keeps you going.

I purchased a shave ready razor from someone who could put an edge on one and then jumped into the rabbit hole I'd been dodging for quite some time. My independent nature made me take on honing and stropping all at once..it was frustrating in the beginning but I'm so happy for sticking it out...reading around B&B helped me tremendously.

No matter what we endeavor in life, quitting is always the easiest thing to do..

It's good to see so many forum members offering pointers and advice.

My two cents is to tell you to persevere, it absolutely will get better and not only will the shaves get better but your feeling a sense of accomplishment will be the fuel that keeps you going.

I purchased a shave ready razor from someone who could put an edge on one and then jumped into the rabbit hole I'd been dodging for quite some time. My independent nature made me take on honing and stropping all at once..it was frustrating in the beginning but I'm so happy for sticking it out...reading around B&B helped me tremendously.

No matter what we endeavor in life, quitting is always the easiest thing to do..

Yes, the response has been more than I could have hoped for. It's very encouraging and another reason to keep going. I have never been a quitter, but if something doesn't work for me, whether it's fishing, shooting, or shaving, I tend to move on quickly and try something else. I guess I try to adapt before I throw in the towel.

Anyway, thank you and all of the other members who have responded and/or reached out to help.

Persistence! It took me a long time to gain consistency. There will probably be ups and downs. Light touch, smooth motion and skin stretching made a difference for me. Keep in mind that the hours you spending now will pay off in the future.

I've got a little different advice to share, though it's likely less helpful right now (for your right now problem, I suspect angle is the biggest part - try starting with edge and spine touching your face, then slightly tilt - just slightly - the spine away)

My advice though is that straight razor shaving is extremely individual to each shaver. There's a lot about how to hold and what strokes for which parts of your face, I found though my shaves improved by leaps and bounds when I learned to trust my own sense on what felt right to me. In that vein, I don't shave ambidextrous, I use a bunch of different strange grips, I make some weird passes from side to side and mix up my WTG and XTG passes. I began adjusting my angle to what seemed to work, and after getting better at thick creamy lather I realized the thinner runnier lather worked better. I never use the standard grip, I occasionally start ATG.

My point is - as you've realized you feel less intimidated like you might cut yourself with the straight razor, you should take that as comfort that you can try what feels right, you don't have to follow a prescription, experiment a little (you're just starting, so emphasis on a little), in time everyone develops their own unique technique with a straight razor because it puts the shaver in complete control. Though right now you need to use all that control to find out how to cut your beard instead of scraping it hej

...I use a bunch of different strange grips, I make some weird passes from side to side and mix up my WTG and XTG passes...

This sounds a bit like me when I'm shaving with my Feather and Kai AC razors. I'm pretty unorthodox with my various grips. I suppose the best way is the way that works best.

But you are right: I need to focus on getting my razor to shave rather than drag, and intend on using a much shallower angle for tomorrow's shave.

I feel like once I nail that, the rest will come with time.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I just noticed you asked about my razors (plural). I only posted the Ebay Boker, since that is the only one which may need work. Here's a pic of my entire family:

View attachment 1655891

The middle razor, an antique store pickup, and the bottom razor were both honed by a member here and I have no reason to suspect that the edge on either is bad.
That is a fine looking lot of razors you picked up already. You are definitely committed now. I'll be happy to do the Boker for you. Just let me know. I'm going to be in the mountains out of range of a cell tower 5/31 - 6/4 but other than that, I'm always at home.

If you are used to Feather blades in your open blade shaver you should be able to handle a straight razor with a sharp edge.
Getting a straight razor as sharp as a Feather blade should not be a problem. You probably don't need that level of sharpness, but that should be up to you to decide, not the person honing the razor.
If you get your razors honed by someone, just ask for them to be finished differently.
Get one high grit synthetic edge, one e.g. jnat edge and maybe a coticule or slate edge. Compare and see what you like.
He should at least have asked how you liked your edge to be finished.

Shavette and straight razor shaving should not be that different if you have a good edge.

@gpjoe I don't have anything to add beyond what's already been said. It's all good advice, and even though it's a lot to take in, after a while it all becomes second nature. Stick with it and figure out which grips/directions/skin stretches, etc. work for you and your face. It will take some time. I started with a shave-ready Titan PIF'd to me by another member and my first bunch of shaves were truly awful. It took around 10 shaves until it actually felt like I had shaved. It wasn't a good shave, but at least I didn't have stubble everywhere any more.

Don't try to force your shave to get BBS right away. Aim for good technique and not a good shave. The good shaves will sneak up on you before you know it.

Top Bottom