What's new

Weird question about shave soap container labels

I'm just kind of curious about general preference here.

Quick question for y’all. Any thoughts on the side sticker of the soap containers you buy? Brands like PAA have a generic side sticker that goes on the side of every jar, while, brands like Barrister and Mann have a unique matching side sticker. As an outlier Stirling has a very generic side sticker that matches their aesthetic but is still unique enough to say the individual soap on the side.

Thoughts? What is your actual preference? Does it not matter that much to you? Does it matter a whole bunch?

I'm just kind of curious about general preference here.

Quick question for y’all. Any thoughts on the side sticker of the soap containers you buy? Brands like PAA have a generic side sticker that goes on the side of every jar, while, brands like Barrister and Mann have a unique matching side sticker. As an outlier Stirling has a very generic side sticker that matches their aesthetic but is still unique enough to say the individual soap on the side.

Thoughts? What is your actual preference? Does it not matter that much to you? Does it matter a whole bunch?
Not a weird question at all.

There are likely a range of preferences here based on the types of soaps each of us prefers. Not something I really consider in my shaving soap/cream purchases so long as the labeling accurately identifies what is in the container. Logical in that I prefer a range of quality commercial soaps in the $2 - $12 price range like Arko, MWF, What-the-Puck, Tabac, Williams and Cyril R. Salter.

At the more premium/artisan end of the product range spectrum we may have B&Bers who collect soaps in part for the quality of the label art work, for which uniqueness could be a big deal. One piece of evidence for this are stated preferences for waterproof container labels and complaints when the label is not waterproof.

Never paid attention past the fist look, but I also quickly transitioned to refills and putting them in ikea Grundtal containers. Early on I’d slap a label maker label on it for the flavor of that soap. Those wore off or got scrubbed off and I can ID my soaps by color and texture these days. It helps that I’ve maintained a fixed number and type of soaps for years. Most of my one odds have been gifts over the years.

I only care about how the soap or cream works for me. Such as: how easy it is to create lather in a bowl or on my face (both brush and ingredient dependent), slickness, protection, and skin softness (no skin irritants). I could care less about the top or side labels, except to confirm it is the product I ordered. I totally understand those who collect the top labels. That is one of the many obsessions of this crazy hobby.

I'll tell you the label feature I really like. That's when you can remove the label from the original packaging and then re-apply it to your own container. Haslinger, for instance, does this with soaps that are wrapped in shrink-wrap.

+1! And Haslinger soaps perform, which is what I care most about!! :thumbup1:

I have honestly never read a soap label, ever, other than to identify the scent. With Stirling (I have four, which all look the same) I glance at the lid to choose the flavor of the day.

If I had a stack of similar soap containers, it would be great to have the name on the side. I would go as far to say that having the "presentation" label on the side of the dish makes the most logical sense, much like the Tabac ceramic dish is labeled while having a plain lid. But on the whole it is not very important, as I usually keep a few different shaped bowls/containers nearby that are easy enough to tell apart at a glance.

I'll tell you the label feature I really like. That's when you can remove the label from the original packaging and then re-apply it to your own container. Haslinger, for instance, does this with soaps that are wrapped in shrink-wrap.
Same with the labels on Stirling’s refills and samples

Top Bottom