What's new

Want gentle moisturizing, don't want scent.

I've heard a lot of good things about Kanwa (made by Feather). I'm waiting for mine to arrive, but the impression I get on here seems very positive.

Don't use AOS unscented had nice allergic reaction to it! Proraso stuff is great I just hate parabens, proplyn glycol, mineral oil, and sodium lauryl sulfate

More sarcastic than funny. Just making a point. So called moisturizers do not moisterize at all. At best, they keep water from evaporating, but most just grease you up.

Hi all,

What i have found, the most manly moisterizer is Vaseline Petroleum Jelly; No Kidding!

I have used several moisterizers and oils, cause i think even after applying aftershave and all, you need to protect your face from sunlight and other stuff.

I have used Nivea for a while, also a moisterizer from Lush now and then(one that hydrates instead of oiling up the skin); though they are all heavily scentend. Maybe more targeted towards, women, :)

How I came to me to try Vaseline? not sure... from a beauty magazine and or article,...maybe read it on the internet.... anyway.... just by experimenting. I noticed from Vaseline; it has almost no smell, or the smell dissapears quickly, and also if the smell lingers, it smells manly, like...petrol, ;) yeah...

I now use it everyday, do not put on too much, else you will be greasy faced, we want to keep a smooth appearance.

I think you will be surprised how well it works, it will mix with your aftershaves well, and you will smell your aftershave more then the moisterizer, ;)

Regards, Davin

Baxter's of California AS balm. Just tried some...its great. Verrry light citrus fragrance that fades quickly. Lighter than Proraso. It also has a bit of a cooling sensation, as there's a touch of menthol in it. But it is more soothing than bracing.

I despise sticky or greasy balms/lotions, so I was happy to find that after a few minutes Baxter's is dry-smooth, and it does leave my face feeling soothed and moisturized.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of good things about Kanwa (made by Feather). I'm waiting for mine to arrive, but the impression I get on here seems very positive.

I have only one problem with the Kanwa: I can't read the ingredients list! It's all in Japanese, and that is not a language that I know how to read. But it's soothing, moisturizing, non-greasy, and so light on the scent as to be practically literally unscented.

I have only one problem with the Kanwa: I can't read the ingredients list! It's all in Japanese, and that is not a language that I know how to read. But it's soothing, moisturizing, non-greasy, and so light on the scent as to be practically literally unscented.

(taken from WCS) Ingredients: water, butylene, glycol, hammamelis, virginiana (witch hazel) extract, rose water, mentha water, allantoin, polyacrylamide, hydrogenated polyisobutene, laureth-7, alcohol, crithmum martimum extract, (caprylic/capric) triglyceride, methylparaben, propylparaben

There's dozens of choices out there. If you're looking for lower priced local products I always recommend Nivea balms. They're relatively cheap, work great and their scents aren't strong and never last more than a few minutes. Best of all they are easily absorbed and don't leave me feeling greasy. You can always look for unscented ASB's, but remember, unscented doesn't mean no scent only that they don't add ingredients for the purpose of scent.

I wish Feather would re-formulate without the parabens, I'd give it a try.

I don't mean to start anything, but nothing is going to happen to you if you use a product that contains some parabens.

http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productandingredientsafety/selectedcosmeticingredients/ucm128042.htm

As per the OP, I am in a similar boat. So far I've tried Feathers Knawna, and I just bought the Nivea Sensitive Skin AS. The Nivea is certainly more moisturizing, and a bit more "oily" (though not in a bad way). The feather is lighter, and does leave a nice matte finish. Ergo, Nivea for the drier winter, and Feather for the warmer summer.

I don't mean to start anything, but nothing is going to happen to you if you use a product that contains some parabens.

http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productandingredientsafety/selectedcosmeticingredients/ucm128042.htm

I feel so much better now that the US government tells me it's OK to use, since they could never possibly be bought by special interests, especially considering the thousands and thousands of topical products that would have to be re-formulated to eliminate them. ;)

I just happen to prefer to use products that do not contain certain chemicals, and I choose to support products & producers who have worked to eliminate them.

The best moisturizer that I have found is glycerin. I use a 20% glycerin mix with water in a small generic spray bottle. My routine after my shave is apply soothing witch hazel, then I like a menthol aftershave such as Barbisol Pacific Rush for the cooling sensation. After this has evaporated, I spray the glycerin mixture in my palm and apply to my face. This same mixture sprayed on my legs works very well for me in the winter to prevent the dry scaly skin on my legs that use to look like dandruff on my black socks.

So I'm thinking of experimenting with Aftershaves, mostly just because after I splash with cold-water (My current only post-shave step) my skin tightens up quickly. The problem is that I can only stand a few scents, and am keen on even fewer. I don't want my skin to feel like it has had oil rubbed on it, just a gentle softening to counter the tightening that occurs when I'm done, any suggestions?

Additionally, is easy to get samples of aftershaves like it is to get samples of soaps? I wouldn't want to buy a bunch of a product only to find out I can't use it, or hate using; especially since I will be going off to my college in a few weeks and will have less room for shaving stuff :crying:

Consider the Proraso pre/post shave cream (green jar). It has a great cooling effect and can be used after your shave to help condition your face.

Top Bottom