What's new

Vintage washita in 8x3 size?

Has anyone ever seen a vintage 8x3 washita?

I think this is the final stone I want to add to my collection……. In Japan I’ve see a few vintage hard Arks in 8x3 size and I imagine this size was cut for the Japanese market which places an extra value on this size format.

While I have seen some hard Arks cut this way, I’ve never seen a washita in this size.(Actually I’ve never seen a washita for sale here at all.) I would imagine with the high regard / high demand for quality whetstones that this market was attended to in some capacity.

I do have a Dan’s washita in 8x3, which is a great stone in its own right, but I’m in search of the final piece of the puzzle: a high quality vintage 8x3 washita. Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks in advance.

Legion

Staff member
Not me. I’ve had tons of old Washita, various lengths, but all about 2” wide or less.

Seen several but none in a long time though. A couple few 6x3 also. Saw a large square-ish Washita once or twice. I think they were an oddball size like 7 x 7 or maybe 9 x 9.

I've asked them and was told they don't have any for sell at the moment. Asked if I could be notified when they get some available but think I will have to get lucky when checking. Has anyone here got one from them and can share a picture?
I've asked to be put on a wait list a few times but haven't heard back. It's probably been about a year.

I've asked to be put on a wait list a few times but haven't heard back. It's probably been about a year.

I was on the waiting list for 14 months for a 8x3x1.

These are my Dan’s stones. Washita, hard, black, and blue-black. Sorry, it’s not a very good picture.
IMG_6907.jpeg

Last edited:
I've asked them and was told they don't have any for sell at the moment. Asked if I could be notified when they get some available but think I will have to get lucky when checking. Has anyone here got one from them and can share a picture?
The don't come across it often. I would imagine it's a transition layer between the black and translucent but that's pure conjecture.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Surely someone has one of these? @timwcic @David...

View attachment 1739370
Hidden away in someone's garage if it hasn't rusted away by now maybe. And washita's wore out compared to Arkansas. They were not a lifetime stone compared to a soft or hard ark.

Pike / Norton had the best Washita, others that came later were nowhere the quality of the Norton vein. Supposedly they still own it but it's not worth them bothering to go get it for a few woodworkers and shaving enthusiasts. Most have moved onto manufactured abrasives that wear out quicker and from the manufacturer's perspective keep you coming back. Norton didn't get too many repeat customers for a translucent ark.

A couple of years back I found an industrial seller that still listed the wooden box double side version with a medium India and hard ark. Looked like NOS. I contacted them to make sure they had them, but it turns out there were out long ago and just didn't have the inventory updated. I will say it was priced at current prices.

I just checked prices at Dan's and I'm up about $100 on the value of my new in box never used black. It has not seen oil or water. I might keep it that way and sell it when it's worth more. At the rate they are going they are beating my stocks as an investment. About a year ago I picked up one of the last brand new in box Norton translucent in 8x2x3/4. That one is new and unused too but I'm going to bust out some oil and pretty it up.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Not an 8x3 but here’s an 8x2.

View attachment 1739384
One thing I ALWAYS like the Washita for was the looks. Clean or loaded up, they always had character.

These days I generally buy from Dan as I think his stock is the best of the current, but I'd love to go there in person and look at the hards or softs and pick one with the color and pattern I like. I've always gotten pedestrian looking stones from him, but I KNOW there have to be some lookers? Right?

Nice Oak slab that is mounted in too. Oak is cool because if you get some steel filings in it, you can get some cool blue color too.

Here is a master woodcarver sharpening with some oil stones, some are Ark I believe. Looks like he begins with India and then on to a black ark. I sharpen my woodcarving tools like this. It's the old way and it works.

I was taught to carve by this guy and he sharpened virtually the same.

Last edited:
back in the early/mid 2000s I remember many of the long 'IM' stones, Washita included, being sold, new in box.
They're all probably sitting in closets now.

Last edited:
These days I generally buy from Dan as I think his stock is the best of the current, but I'd love to go there in person and look at the hards or softs and pick one with the color and pattern I like. I've always gotten pedestrian looking stones from him, but I KNOW there have to be some lookers? Right?
Yeah I've pondered that as well- would be a hoot to visit and get to pick out some stones. Got really lucky with my True Hard. Some gorgeous stones out there.

Top Bottom