What's new

Vintage Plisson Replacement knot

Hey Folks

I have a number of NOS vintage Plissons where the brushes are in excellent condition. I have one where the knot really needs to be replaced and i would like the replacement to be as close to the original as possible. It looks to me as if the original knot is a "European Grey" as the base is very dark, and the top part of the knot a distinct dark grey.

However, I have been unable to find a replacement knot that looks the same. The only replacement plissons that I could find were "high mountain white" and the original definitely is not that. Goggle had been unsuccessful.

Does anyone have a link to a source for replacement European Grey knots that are similar to the vintage plissons

Alternatively, I've noticed a few vintage plissons in ebay with the exact same European Grey knot, so i thought that i might be able to buy one of those, and use the knot as a replacement for mine. Has anyone had any success in removing a vintage knot from a plisson. Are they particularly hard to get out in one piece so that they could be successfully used as a replacement for mine? I know some pop out easy but others can I think be pretty tough to get out.

And is there anyone that does this a business ie i send in the brush that needs to have the knot replaced and they source and insert the new knot?

Appreciate the advice. Thank you

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I think the easiest would be to send it to Plisson and have them replace the knot with the same hair, I believe they still offer the European Grey. Not sure how easy a knot can be removed from the handle, but they set their knots in small metallic cups, so if you destroy the old handle you could get the knot out. I have harvested a lot of the synthetic knots that came in the L"Occitane brushes and set into decent resin handles.

Thank you Rudy. That is very helpful. I have sent them a message already. Fingers crossed that they are able to reknot the brush.

Cheers
Rod

I think the easiest would be to send it to Plisson and have them replace the knot with the same hair, I believe they still offer the European Grey.

Well, it wasn't the news that i was going for. I contacted plisson direct on their website and unfortunately they advised that they are unable to replace the knot, stating that "the brush will be damaged if we try anything so we cannot repair"

That's very disappointing. I'm wondering if it's because, as Rudy has said, they place their knots in little metallic cups and removing the cup would damage the plexiglass?

Has anyone tried to replace the knot in a vintage plisson, plexiglass or otherwise?

Well, it wasn't the news that i was going for. I contacted plisson direct on their website and unfortunately they advised that they are unable to replace the knot, stating that "the brush will be damaged if we try anything so we cannot repair"

That's very disappointing. I'm wondering if it's because, as Rudy has said, they place their knots in little metallic cups and removing the cup would damage the plexiglass?

Has anyone tried to replace the knot in a vintage plisson, plexiglass or otherwise?
I believe Plisson sells replacement knots on their website, so you could buy one from them and send it with the brush to someone else for the reknotting. There’s always some risk that the handle can be damaged removing the old knot and that’s probably why Plisson doesn’t wish to offer the service.

Edit: I looked at Plisson’s website and the replacement knots they sell are fixed in a metal base designed for use with handles that have a screw-in assembly. So I guess not what you need.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I believe Plisson sells replacement knots on their website, so you could buy one from them and send it with the brush to someone else for the reknotting. There’s always some risk that the handle can be damaged removing the old knot and that’s probably why Plisson doesn’t wish to offer the service.

Edit: I looked at Plisson’s website and the replacement knots they sell are fixed in a metal base designed for use with handles that have a screw-in assembly. So I guess not what you need.
All (or should I say nearly all) their knots have the metal cup, even the not-screw ins. I saw only one of theirs, the genuine horn where the knot is not set into a metal cup - but for a brush ranging from Euro 400-900 I would not expect this anyway..

Last edited:
Top Bottom