What's new

Vintage Pelikans

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Those of you that collect vintage Pelikan pens, I need some help. I have a 400NN coming to me soon, but I am sure the pen is a bit on the small side. Are there any vintage Pelikans that are about the same size as the modern 800? I prefer the bigger pens to slimline style pens. Doug helped me out a bit in picking the 400NN as it was a bigger model.

Im just trying to diversify :p

Thank you all in advance

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nope, 400NN is the biggest vintage. There are some super hard-to-find Emege "Magnum" 100 or 100N pens, slightly on the larger side for the Portuguese market.

Use it posted, they're pretty big (6 inches) ... I'm used to that 400 size so the M800 is HUGE to me.

The 400NN is from a time when people still wrote with their pens all day. A M800 sized pen would probably have been too tiring after a while.

I was going to say vintage Pelikans can be an expensive rabbit hole but you're already here... ;)

I thought a M200 or a 140 was small but I think they are perfect when posted. Makes me wonder how I would handle a current 800 or 1000!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I usually like to write with a MB 149. I have a 144 which is super tiny in my humble opinion, compared to the 149. I really cant wait to get the 400NN in. It will be my first green stripped Pelikan

The Pelikan M800 is my favorite as well, I do not have a MB 149, but I know that is even bigger. I do not like to write with my pens posted, but when I bought my vintage 100, I got used to the size pretty quickly because of how much I liked the pen!
I do not have a 400nn (yet) so I am not sure of the size comparison. I am sure if you really like the pen, you will learn to like using it.
Congrats, I hope you post pictures when you get it.

from what I've seen .. not posted, the most difference will be the nib size otherwise is about the same length and a bit thinner. Posted the difference is much bigger. I think the 400NN is a bit longer then the M200 (I may be wrong tho :).

$pen.jpg

picture from goulet pen plaza section.

Congrats on the new to you Pelikan! I like large pens, too, but I got used to my 140 and M2XX pens. I'm starting to head down the vintage Pelikan rabbit hole with more gusto. The vintage nibs really are fantastic and a great value, imo. I just want to end up with a nice example of a 140, 400, and 400NN with a semi-flex fine, OF or KF, an OBB (check), and a medium or OM. Then I'm done with Pelikans. Promise.

-Andy

Those of you that collect vintage Pelikan pens, I need some help. I have a 400NN coming to me soon, but I am sure the pen is a bit on the small side. Are there any vintage Pelikans that are about the same size as the modern 800? I prefer the bigger pens to slimline style pens. Doug helped me out a bit in picking the 400NN as it was a bigger model.

Im just trying to diversify :p

Thank you all in advance
I don't post much but thought I could help with this one.
i am fond of the vintage Pelikans and have several; 400(OM), 400nn(F), 140(F), 100n(OF) &. M600(F) & M800(F) moderns plus one MB149.

Not sure how you are defining largest though. The 400nn is the longest of the three vintage pens and probably the longest Pelikan Vintage.
However, the 100n has a larger diameter than the 400nn and is closer to the M600 diameter.

My favorite vintage is the 100n. It has an original OF nib and holds lots of ink. The nib is really nice.
second favorite is the 400
the comparable modern is the M600. The M600 is a little longer.
The M800 is larger than the M600 but the deal killer for me is the weight. The M800 has a brass barrel and is heavier than the resin M600.

The MB149 is huge. I like it but prefer the 100n. The MB149 is actually lighter than the M800 and I like it better.

I hope this helps a bit.
As always, YMMA

I am sure you will enjoy the 400nn. The vintage Pelikan nibs are totally awesome! Love the 400(OM), nothing comparable.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
TY very much. I just took ownership of the 400NN and will try to get some pictures up. Ill have to look into that 100n.

I thought I would take a photo to compare the pens.
From left to right, 140, 400, 400n, 100n, M600, M800' MB149. Sorry about the crummy picture.

I have acquired these over about 15 years. I would limit myself to one nice pen purchase per year and then decide which nib and pen combo I wanted. Usually worked with Rick Propas and was able to get some really nice vintage nibs. I agree with Richard Binder who says;" The heart of the fountain pen is the Nib". There is nothing like a smooth well tuned vintage nib. I find the Sailor modern nibs to be some of the best modern and rank up there, in some cases with the vintage nibs.

My last purchase was the MB149 a couple years ago. i wanted to see what all the passion was about. I like the pen but am very self conscious when I use it in public. The weight and balance is great and the nib and pen are HUGE.

Enjoy your Pelikan. I have never regretted purchasing the ones I have. My collection is small but the nibs, ohhhh the nibs are what make them special to me.

They are kinda like Lay's potatoe chips, one is just not enough.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 73
I thought I would take a photo to compare the pens.
From left to right, 140, 400, 400n, 100n, M600, M800' MB149. .

I'm a noob when it comes to all things nib and vintage Prlikans have piqued my interest. Just so I have a better idea of the sizes, is the order L-R or R-L? The MB looks to me to be on the left but I am looking through my noob filtered lens.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm a noob when it comes to all things nib and vintage Prlikans have piqued my interest. Just so I have a better idea of the sizes, is the order L-R or R-L? The MB looks to me to be on the left but I am looking through my noob filtered lens.

R to L, although #3 is not a 400N, it's a 400NN. Montblanc on the left.

Top Bottom