What's new

Vintage Gillette Questions

I'm now thinking that perhaps I should get something a bit less aggressive next. Maybe a old butterfly door (TTO?) or something...

does anybody have any suggestions on a new razor that would be easy to use, relatively cheap, and less aggressive? I have heard great things about Merkers, and I think I still want one, maybe a Merker classic head or a butterfly door (TTO) of some sort?

Probably would suggest a Merkur HD. You could also try one of the open comb Merkurs, they are far less aggressive than the Gillette you are currently using. With the HD though, if you end up not liking it (which is unlikely) you can sell it on the BST relatively easily and get something else.

does anybody have any suggestions on a new razor that would be easy to use, relatively cheap, and less aggressive? I have heard great things about Merkers, and I think I still want one, maybe a Merker classic head or a butterfly door (TTO) of some sort?

Get a 40's style or a 50's style Gillette SuperSpeed.

Or, a Gillette Tech (1938-1973). It's a 3 piece like your Old Type, but updated to the new (by 1938 standards!) safety bar configuration (no open comb). The Tech is a really sweet mild shaver, and is plentiful and downright cheap.

Great Old Type BTW, there are other variants too. The Old Type is my favorite, and gets the majority of face time for me these days.

Priceless? Now them be strong words there... Surely someone can throw out a ballpark figure of some sort, eh?

realistically, if you were to take professional pictures of it and sell all the hype of it being rare, you might get $50-$75 for it on ebay. If you were to sell it with the pictures you showed here, expect to get $30 at most.

realistically, if you were to take professional pictures of it and sell all the hype of it being rare, you might get $50-$75 for it on ebay. If you were to sell it with the pictures you showed here, expect to get $30 at most.

hrmm, I thought the pictures came out quite well... lol. Thanks for the ballpark figure though. To me it is priceless anyways, I was just curious really. Thanks.

I was just looking through the forums and found this great post about gillette old types. I noticed that every razor pictured has a long threaded shaft (name?) used to attatch the head to the handle. Mine is very short. What is the standard? Short like mine, or long? Wont this effect which handles I can use? I was told in a different post that 99% of all old types have the same threads for switching around handles. Does mine fall into that remaining 1%?

Last edited:
I was just looking through the forums and found this great post about gillette old types. I noticed that every razor pictured has a long threaded shaft (name?) used to attatch the head to the handle. Mine is very short. What is the standard? Short like mine, or long? Wont this effect which handles I can use? I was told in a different post that 99% of all old types have the same threads for switching around handles. Does mine fall into that remaining 1%?

The "Pocket Edition" razors (like yours) are different from the "standard" razors that have a long threaded stud. The guard (the piece with the combs) and the cap are not interchangeable, but do share the same head dimensions and geometry. The Pocket Edition Old Types all use the same thread size as the "New" and the "Tech", which gives us the ability to swap handles between those models.

In terms of overall production numbers, the Pocket Edition was produced in greater numbers. From 1921 until the New was introduced in '29 the PE was Gillette's low-priced entry-level razor and sold like the proverbial hotcakes.

Hi! If you look at the fourth picture in that thread you'll see a pocket edition set similar to one yours would have come in. The pocket editions were far and away the most common, in number, of all the Old Types. That said, being so inexpensive they were also virtually disposable and many were tossed when newer models hit the market. Many of the less numerous "top shelf" models were kept even if replaced by a newer model for daily use.

Top Bottom