What's new

Vintage AS bottle find

Very cool!! I've never seen this AS or heard of that company - we learn something new here every day I love it!

my dad was a fuller brush man for a while. But his life's ambition was to work at the service station in Kearney, Nebraska. Unfortunately, he ended up as a dermatologist.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Awe shucks as they say here in the Southland Adam! Glad to help! I was surprised to know that Stanley Home Products was still offering the modern derivative of the Chairman! It is indeed some nice smelling aftershave! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Someday, I may know the sweet scent of Chairman! Until then, I'll take your word for it. I'm suprised I remembered seeing you have it!

Adam

Adam; it actually has a very refined scent- a post-WWII Chanel for Men to use a modern comparison. The other vintage bottle-Tawn Aftershave that I have from the same early Super Speed period- is more robust- Geoffrey Beane comes to mind. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Tawn Aftershave McKesson & Robbins Inc. New York (590x480).jpg

Someday, I may know the sweet scent of Chairman! Until then, I'll take your word for it. I'm suprised I remembered seeing you have it!

Adam

Chairman has a fabulous scent. The closest thing I can think of is the old formula of Old Spice only Chairman was better. I was heartbroken when I noticed the stuff floating in my bottle. I didn't know what it was, so I wasn't sure it would be safe to use. Pouring it down the drain was hard.

I think I am going to buy a bottle of the new stuff and hope that it is a similar scent.

Maybe I will get lucky and find another bottle of vintage Chairman. *crosses fingers*

I was heartbroken when I noticed the stuff floating in my bottle. I didn't know what it was, so I wasn't sure it would be safe to use. Pouring it down the drain was hard.
:scared::crying: Oh No! Anytime I find stuff in vintage aftershave, I just run it through a coffee filter, wash the bottle out, and put it back in. The alcohol in the AS will take care of any nasties.

:scared::crying: Oh No! Anytime I find stuff in vintage aftershave, I just run it through a coffee filter, wash the bottle out, and put it back in. The alcohol in the AS will take care of any nasties.

Well now I feel really dumb. I wish it had occurred to me to use a coffee filter. *kicks self*

EDIT:
Although, with the condition of the paper seal in the top of the bottlecap, that still may not have been a good idea. It looked like there was something growing on it.

Great thread, thanks for all the information! I can't believe what you are finding in antique stores, really great finds Doug.

EDIT:
Although, with the condition of the paper seal in the top of the bottlecap, that still may not have been a good idea. It looked like there was something growing on it.
I've seen some pretty nasty seals. I try to clean them out and keep them in tact if possible, but sometimes they are deteriorated so badly, I end up scraping them out completely and replacing them with something new or homemade. I doubt anything was growing in there. The headspace will still be filled with alcohol vapor. But depending on what the seal was made of, and what's behind the seal, some stuff will expand as it ages and turn dark from exposure to the alcohol.

When in doubt, take pics and post here before doing anything drastic in the future. Sorry you lost your AS. :sad:

I've seen some pretty nasty seals. I try to clean them out and keep them in tact if possible, but sometimes they are deteriorated so badly, I end up scraping them out completely and replacing them with something new or homemade. I doubt anything was growing in there. The headspace will still be filled with alcohol vapor. But depending on what the seal was made of, and what's behind the seal, some stuff will expand as it ages and turn dark from exposure to the alcohol.

When in doubt, take pics and post here before doing anything drastic in the future. Sorry you lost your AS. :sad:

Yet another newbie error. Oh, well.

The bottle is still awesome. I was thinking I would get a sheet of thin cork to make a new seal for the cap. Then I was going to decant into it. It will be a cool way to store some AS.

And I know to be on the lookout for more bottles of this.

Top Bottom