What's new

Vintage AS bottle find

Found this at my local antique shop today. The AS smelled great, but when I got it home I noticed there was a paper seal in the lid that was degrading and there were some gross particles floating in the liquid. The AS smelled somewhat like Old Spice. Still, I love the bottle and will be decanting into it.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice find. I've been collecting Proraso aftershave bottles in order to put my Pinaud line of fragrances into glass.

That's a great score. Love the graphics. Mad Men on steroids! I am guessing that someone made that AS for Stanley. Wonder who it was.

That's a great score. Love the graphics. Mad Men on steroids! I am guessing that someone made that AS for Stanley. Wonder who it was.
It did smell quite a bit like Old Spice. So, that is my guess.

I love the bottle. I hope I can find a few more that are similar.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I think my buddy [MENTION=102775]mgbbrown[/MENTION] may have this aftershave. Nice Score! It has great graphics.

Cordially,
Adam

KeenDogg

If he does, he will know more. He has some Stan Home items in his collection. He knows a fair amount on the things he has.

Adam

Doug; Adam; Steve WY; I tell you what guys- the site notification system is fantastic! Without Adam's mention- I would have never known about the post here! The Fuller Brush Company and Stanley Home Products were both competing door-to-door catalogue companies that sold, among a host of other household goods- high quality shaving products. Stanley Home Products was started by Stanley Beverage, who is featured below. Here are excerpts that I posted in my article on the early Gillette Super Speed razor and the Post WWII shaving culture in the United States:

Brushes

Generally, shaving brushes were inexpensive items found at the local five-and-dime department store, or available through such mail-order firms as Sears, Montgomery Ward, or door-to-door through Stanley Home Products or the Fuller Brush Company. The array of manufacturers and styles was almost endless. Brush hair was generally boar bristle, as it was the least expensive and available to most shaving brush consumers locally; but badger hair brushes, or brushes containing a mixture of boar and badger hair, were also purchased as an upgrade. Badger hair was imported from Manchuria in northern China, and was not available for export following the Japanese invasion prior to World War II, and throughout the second World War. Horse hair brushes were still common, offering a go-between to the coarser boar hair and silkier feeling badger hair, and like its boar hair counterpart, easily agitated the surface of the soap in a shaving mug to produce a thicker lather, particularly useful when lathering in your palm, a lathering bowl, or a shaving mug. Nylon was used by some companies and seen as a more modern alternative to traditional animal hair offerings. The horse hair example I use was made by Fuller, and is butterscotch Catalin with a stepped motif common during the Art Deco period leading into the Second World War. Fuller brushes were also available by catalogue or most commonly through their famous door-to-door sales force, as were the shaving brushes offered by Stanhome, or Stanley Home Products. Both Stanley and Fuller made exceptional brushes, and had a widespread following; both companies offering a brush stand that could be purchased separately, on which to air-dry the brush upside-down after use. Just as popular then were brushes with a greater loft height. I was able to locate two new-old-stock boar brushes in this particular style; one made by Stanhome and the other by Fuller. Both were a tan or light butterscotch in color; early plastic or Catalin brush handles can be discolored by prolonged nicotine exposure. Nicotine stains can be easily removed with Mother’s Polish or Novus Number 2. Smoking was a widespread practice at the time, and lighting-up during a shave was not uncommon, albeit unsafe. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

and here is more:
Stanley and Fuller, marketing their lines of household wares by using an independent, door-to-door sales force, represented a part of the American culture that was vibrant during this post-war period of economic expansion, and one which made available items not readily found in retail stores. After World War II, Fuller items were sold exclusively house-to-house by a sales force of women, known as"Fullerettes.” Stanley Beveridge, who had left his position as Fuller's sales vice president in 1929, had by 1949, employed women as"dealers" to grow sales at his own company, Stanley Home Products. Both firms gained widespread popularity, with Fuller’s sales force inspiring two comedy films, THE FULLER BRUSH MAN, a 1948 movie starring Red Skelton and Janet Blair, and THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL, a 1950 movie starring Lucille Ball and Eddie Albert. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
attachment.php
attachment.php
More Still:

As I have touched upon earlier in this thread-both the Fuller Brush Company and Stanley Home Products were icons during the early Super Speed period and influenced the shaving culture of the time. A recent acquisition of a Stanhome hostess gift sewing repair kit serves to compliment the collection of their shaving and Dopp kit travel sundries. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Mr. Beverage is the rather forceful looking man at the podium. Chairman aftershave was quite a popular product in period, and competed well against brands available at the drug store or grocery. Nice find! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Chairman After Shave Four Ounce Bottle Stanley Home Products.JPG

Check this one out.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also have a bunch of Big Wheel aftershave bottles which are all from Stanley Home Products.

KeenDogg

Doug; Adam; Steve WY; I tell you what guys- the site notification system is fantastic! Without Adam's mention- I would have never known about the post here! The Fuller Brush Company and Stanley Home Products were both competing door-to-door catalogue companies that sold, among a host of other household goods- high quality shaving products. Stanley Home Products was started by Stanley Beverage, who is featured below. Here are excerpts that I posted in my article on the early Gillette Super Speed razor and the Post WWII shaving culture in the United States:

Brushes

Generally, shaving brushes were inexpensive items found at the local five-and-dime department store, or available through such mail-order firms as Sears, Montgomery Ward, or door-to-door through Stanley Home Products or the Fuller Brush Company. The array of manufacturers and styles was almost endless. Brush hair was generally boar bristle, as it was the least expensive and available to most shaving brush consumers locally; but badger hair brushes, or brushes containing a mixture of boar and badger hair, were also purchased as an upgrade. Badger hair was imported from Manchuria in northern China, and was not available for export following the Japanese invasion prior to World War II, and throughout the second World War. Horse hair brushes were still common, offering a go-between to the coarser boar hair and silkier feeling badger hair, and like its boar hair counterpart, easily agitated the surface of the soap in a shaving mug to produce a thicker lather, particularly useful when lathering in your palm, a lathering bowl, or a shaving mug. Nylon was used by some companies and seen as a more modern alternative to traditional animal hair offerings. The horse hair example I use was made by Fuller, and is butterscotch Catalin with a stepped motif common during the Art Deco period leading into the Second World War. Fuller brushes were also available by catalogue or most commonly through their famous door-to-door sales force, as were the shaving brushes offered by Stanhome, or Stanley Home Products. Both Stanley and Fuller made exceptional brushes, and had a widespread following; both companies offering a brush stand that could be purchased separately, on which to air-dry the brush upside-down after use. Just as popular then were brushes with a greater loft height. I was able to locate two new-old-stock boar brushes in this particular style; one made by Stanhome and the other by Fuller. Both were a tan or light butterscotch in color; early plastic or Catalin brush handles can be discolored by prolonged nicotine exposure. Nicotine stains can be easily removed with Mother’s Polish or Novus Number 2. Smoking was a widespread practice at the time, and lighting-up during a shave was not uncommon, albeit unsafe. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

and here is more:
Stanley and Fuller, marketing their lines of household wares by using an independent, door-to-door sales force, represented a part of the American culture that was vibrant during this post-war period of economic expansion, and one which made available items not readily found in retail stores. After World War II, Fuller items were sold exclusively house-to-house by a sales force of women, known as"Fullerettes.” Stanley Beveridge, who had left his position as Fuller's sales vice president in 1929, had by 1949, employed women as"dealers" to grow sales at his own company, Stanley Home Products. Both firms gained widespread popularity, with Fuller’s sales force inspiring two comedy films, THE FULLER BRUSH MAN, a 1948 movie starring Red Skelton and Janet Blair, and THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL, a 1950 movie starring Lucille Ball and Eddie Albert. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
attachment.php
attachment.php
More Still:

As I have touched upon earlier in this thread-both the Fuller Brush Company and Stanley Home Products were icons during the early Super Speed period and influenced the shaving culture of the time. A recent acquisition of a Stanhome hostess gift sewing repair kit serves to compliment the collection of their shaving and Dopp kit travel sundries. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Mr. Beverage is the rather forceful looking man at the podium. Chairman aftershave was quite a popular product in period, and competed well against brands available at the drug store or grocery. Nice find! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown View attachment 657821

You never cease to amaze me Tony.

Adam

Awe shucks as they say here in the Southland Adam! Glad to help! I was surprised to know that Stanley Home Products was still offering the modern derivative of the Chairman! It is indeed some nice smelling aftershave! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Top Bottom