Vintage April, 2024

IMG_0848.jpeg

Tuesday morning final 2024 vintage April shave rated 9.75/10 using:
  • Razor: 1953 Y1 Gillette President
  • Blade: 1970s Personna 74 (4)
  • Brush: Semogue Galahad Horse Hair
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: Cella Almond tallow-based soap
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Cella Extra Extra Bio balm
PXL_20240430_125012145.jpg
Excellent shave with my 1953 President, essentially an Aristocrat with a rhodium plated handle and nickel plated head. The Cella soap gave a well-rounded performance with the Semogue Horse Hair brush, but the Cella didn't stand out in any particular way. The blade still feels quite sharp and smooth.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sunday 20240428
Vintage April 2024
Razor: Personna New Angle 70 (aka: "BBS-0") (RazoRock Ti Halo)
Blade: Kai (3 shaves, 8 passes)

Monday 20240429
Vintage April 2024
Blade: Kai (4 shaves, 10 passes)

Tuesday 20240429
Vintage April 2024
Blade: Kai (5 shaves, 12 passes)
20240430_063131~2.jpg
20240430_063211~2.jpg

Brush: AP Shave Co Lemon Drop (AP Shave Co 24mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: n/a
Lather: ARKO
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

Superb shaves!

Additional notes are in My Journal.

April 30, 2024 Tuesday Vintage shave

Razor: 1953 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (1)
Soap: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Silvertip badger
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Osma alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Fine Snake Bite

Just in time for the end of Vintage April, today's shave featured a lovely Super Speed. I haven't used a vintage razor in quite some time, and found it to be surprisingly mild and pleasant. No weepers, etc. and no irritation.

9.5/10

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 04_30_24.jpg

Monday April - 29th

Razor - Canadian Pre-war Tech
Blade - Gillette Nacet (3)
Brush - Vie-Long Silvertip
Soap - MDC Original
After Shave - B&M Passiflora (the never ending bottle)
After Shave Balm - A&E Post-Shave Serum
Fragrance - B&M Lavender Interrupted EDP
IMG_1110.jpeg

Tuesday April - 30th

Razor - Canadian Pre-war Tech
Blade - Gillette Nacet (4)
Brush - Doug Korn / Shavemac D01 2-Band
Soap - MDC Original
After Shave Balm - Hada Labo Gokujun Premium

Here we are gentlemen, the Final View... This is my very last log-in on the forum. And i decided to post the last picture here, Guido told me that there is no problem.
It is good manners to say hello & introduce yourself after registering, but it is also good manners to say goodbye at the right time.

Saturday morning, April the 27th

• Razor : Gillette UK post-war Tech #24 (full brass head) + aluminium fat handle of the set #14
  • Blade : Big Ben super stainless blue (2) (i forgot to put the pack on the photo :001_005:)
  • Brush : Simpson Colonel X2L sovereign fibre (synthetic)
  • Soap/Cream : Palmolive Classic

Superb shave : the BBS/CEL (= Clean Egg Look :biggrin:) lasted 15 hours or so...

The combination with the aluminium fat handle gives even better results than the aluminium ball-end one. The head-heavy balance works perfectly for me with this strong sandwich clamping razor !

And it looks more like a 40s Tech now with the fat handle, so another cool factor that makes me feel like using it even more.

I wish you guys many happy traditional shaves to come ! Take care. :)

SOTD #final.jpg

donald-curtis-porco-rosso-1992.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I think this one might be vintage. This was my shave yesterday. I am late in posting. But it will definitely be the last shave of Vintage April. I used a gold Single Ring that I had buried in my razor stash. It has straight teeth, and zero cracks in the handle. I may have never used this one. So I threw it in my travel kit. What a great shaver!

2024-04-29 05.11.50.jpg

1967 M-1 Super Speed / Wizamet / RR 400 SE / Brito lime / Faena Esperia / Gabel's lime menthol a/s - Great shave. First time using the Faena, it is excellent. Thanks to @Guido75 for organizing and to everyone that participated. It was great seeing all the vintage razors and gear being used! Maybe there should be more Vintage months in the year.
20240430_145145.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’d like to echo all the Thank You-s from everyone else to Guido @Guido75 for hosting this year’s Vintage April along with his cohost David/ @never-stop-learning . I’ve learned a lot here and seen so many lovely and amazing razors depicted here. I dipped my toes into the creek and added 5 soon to be 6 Vintage razors to the couple I had. I’ll end up with a nice, little family for next year, though because of all of your recommendations, I won’t be waiting for a year to use them. I still have two that arrived this week that I haven’t used but I plan to remedy that in the near future.

Razor: English PAL (Star 100) c.1950's
Soap: HWF No.1
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Wilko Synthetic 'The Night Stalker'
ASB: Nivea Protect & Care
IMG_20240430_211255082.jpg

A very pleasant shave with a smooth and efficient little beauty and a great rival to the Tech back in the day.

This is the English made PAL version of the excellent Star 100 of which many of us are familiar.

A great performer, and easily equal in performance to any post 1950 Tech. It gives a lovely undemanding yet efficient shave, with an understated authority which becomes clear after you do the final rinse.

That beautiful handle, and the simple yet timeless elegance of the design just shines through, as with almost all vintages.

Anyway, a nice three passer sorted an irritating two day growth with efficiency and style.

I should like to thank @Guido75 for so kindly arranging this years' event and the expert advice & guidance of @never-stop-learning and to all the Gentlemen who kindly displayed so many wonderful razors for our enjoyment.

But I would like to thank the true stars of the month, the wonderful immortal vintages which serve us still so faithfully after so many decades and remain at the pinnacle of beauty and industrial design while bringing us such joy.

Cheers to our vintage razors! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Wow! Just like that Vintage April is over. Thanks @Guido75 !
I finished the last three days with two techs, or at least parts of. After sharpening my blade on Sunday, I used the baseplate from my prewar Tech on the handle and cap of my early Postwar Tech. (The threads on the cap of the prewar are damaged and don’t work with the handle.) The specs on the two caps are identical, as near as I can tell. I had to change my technique for this more aggressive razor: no buffing on initial passes and be more careful. I got an 8.9 shave. On returning to the milder postwar on Monday, I got a much better 9.7 shave on Monday. As I’ve mentioned before, with an older blade I always get a much closer shave with a milder razor.

Top Bottom