What's new

Valet Autostrop Pass-Around

I just stumbled across this thread, If it''s not too late I would love to try it out also. Please let me know if I can squeeze in.
Thanks,
Allan

Everyone in my family is on the lookout for the Valet Auto-Strop, even though they have no idea what it is. I hope it arrives tomorrow. Saturday would be a good day to try out the VAS for the first time. I'm looking forward to it!

It might take a couple days, I delayed a few days in sending it out so I could send out some international mail too (P.O. closes before I get off of work so I had to wait for a day off). But I hope it arrives soon.

A good way to despine a blade in my experience is to grab the spine with a pair of pliers then rest the blade on a piece of paper or card so that it is nearly flat. Push down slightly a few times the spine, then you can pull the spine off (it helps to have two pliers one to hold the blade and one to pull the spine).

I've found it is only necessary to trim one side of the back of the blade off - that side will face the open end of the sleeve on the autostrop. You will need two use two pliers for this to prevent bending the blade. One pair to grip the blade and pair to break the end "tab" off.

I am now 2 shaves in to the VAS journey. I'm going to start with shave #1 and then post later about shave #2 because, well, March Madness.

On Friday, I did not have time to de-spine a blade, so I loaded a Feather carbon steel blade. I have used carbon steel SE blades in the past, so I thought it would be no big deal.
Wrong!
The shave was very rough, with a good bit of grabbing and skipping. I managed a SAS, but it came with some irritation. No weepers or anything, but I had redness on my neck that was not calmed by the ASB and lasted pretty much all day.
Needless to say, I was apprehensive about trying the VAS again, but I did ...

I am now 2 shaves in to the VAS journey. I'm going to start with shave #1 and then post later about shave #2 because, well, March Madness.

On Friday, I did not have time to de-spine a blade, so I loaded a Feather carbon steel blade. I have used carbon steel SE blades in the past, so I thought it would be no big deal.
Wrong!
The shave was very rough, with a good bit of grabbing and skipping. I managed a SAS, but it came with some irritation. No weepers or anything, but I had redness on my neck that was not calmed by the ASB and lasted pretty much all day.
GO GATORS!
I'm very curious about your second shave, with much better blades, IMO. I found the carbon steel Feather unusable in SE's, but the stainless steel Feathers are top notch.

Wrong!

I sure hope you second shave goes better!

Very easy to de-spine..........no big deal at all took 10 seconds with pliers and bend back and forth with your fingers......pulls right out. I think I well go with GEMs SS coated blades.............

Now that my Wolverines have taken care of business, I can write up the summary of the second shave. As Bushhippi noted, de-spining the blade was easy. I did not read Mos' post describing part 2 of the blade modification process so I was surprised to find out the blade would not fit. Youtube to the rescue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Bq0nLygEg
The same guy who taught us how to de-spine, has a video for removing the extra bit of metal. Mos said you only need to mod one side, so that is what I did. I used kitchen shears, but I do not recommend following my lead. Instead, watch the video.
The razor came with a blade in it, which I removed and put in the case. It appears to be a vintage Valet blade. It is useful in helping you understand what to remove from the modern SE blade.

OK, so today's shave was great. The VAS seemed a bit milder than, say, a MMOC. It was intuitive and very effective. I consider all SE razors to be aggressive (except injectors) and the VAS is no exception. That said, the VAS seemed pretty smooth and forgiving for an SE.

Mos, do you use vintage blades? If so, how do they shave?
I have a couple valet blades that I picked up somewhere. Should I use one?

I just used my first VALET blade a day ago and it was pretty tuggy, but I have not stropped it yet. It cut a bit better than Feather carbon steel blade, but still nothing like a new Gem blade. I could only manage to get the Feather blade to cut at all after furiously stropping it, if the VALET blade improves as much after stropping as the Feather it may actually provide a decent shaving experience.

Today I tried a vintage Valet blade today. I decided I needed to strop it first, but I don't really know much about how to do that. Anyway, I tried to keep the blade relatively flat and not apply too much pressure, despite my inclination to do exactly the opposite. I did 20+ passes on each side. I don't think I did a very good job. Any stropping tips would be appreciated.
The shave was somewhere between the Feather carbon steel and the modified stainless SE blade (Ted Pella?). It was a bit rough at times, but there was no irritation and the final result was reasonably good.
I plan use the vintage blade again later this week, but I will give it another stropping. Tomorrow, I will go back to the stainless blade. Then, probably Wednesday, the VAS will be put in the mail to joamo.

I came across two VAS razors and bought some feathers for them, but want to know if I can use reg SE blades or de-spined blades with these. Are there markings on the razors that will tell me what version they are?

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

You can use despined blades in the Valets which do not have the cut outs and tabs for the "VALETo" blades. So the first razor you posted will work fine with despined blades, the second one will use Feathers.

Although I pretty much never shave with the same razor four times in a row, I nonetheless put the stainless blade back in the VAS. I am glad I did. Another wonderful shave without a hint of irritation. When loaded with a sharp blade, the VAS really is very smooth.
And now it is time to send it on its way to joamo. I will include three NOS Valet blades that showed up in an eBay purchase a while back. I recommend stropping them before trying to use them.

I feel the same way. One thing that impresses me is that the Model C is both smooth and aggressive when used with a sharp blade. That said my ER 1912 is more convenient, but I've been switching it up lately just for the fun of using one of coolest looking razors from history.

The Auto Strop arrived yesterday and this morning was my chance to try it out.
Last night, I de-spined and notched a Personna SS blade, took a quick measurement, and then used some scrap leather to make a strop to pass along to the next person. I stropped about 50 strokes, then set it aside for the morning shave..

The shave was rough and tuggy and I had problems finding and staying at the optimal angle for this razor. I was left with a razor burned cheek and stubbly jaw line and neck despite 4 passes.
Since DrAwkward had a bad first shave, with improvements on the next ones, I plan to try again with a new un-stropped SS blade; the stropping may have dulled the edge. If that goes well, I’ll try a Feather, un-stropped one day and stropped the next. We’ll see how things go then decide about trying the NOS blades.

It's usually a bad idea to strop stainless blades, at best all you will do is wear down the coating (if they're coated) at worst you can seriously dull them. The carbon steel blades are uncoated and also a lot thicker with a different bevel on the edge.

​Let me see if I'm understanding the part about putting in the notch on one side.

Is it to center the blade more?

Top Bottom