What's new

V-Neck T Shirt Under Dress Shirt/Sweater Questions

Have quite a bit of questions about undershirts in general and wearing it combined with dress shirts/sweaters.

1. Does anyone have recommendation on an undershirt that has a deep enough V where you don't have to worry about it showing whether you are wearing a v neck sweater or a dress shirt button up with 2 buttons unbuttoned? The thing is if its the just top button, many v necks seem to not show but if you take the 2nd button unbuttoned, this would be an issue.

I bought some ralph lauren ones recently and its pretty good for v neck sweaters and button up dress shirts... however, if i unbutton 2 buttons, it will show the undershirt though which is negative. I heard about 2xist, c IN2. Thoughts on these? Also can someone give me a link to those deep vnecks? Seems like many v neck undershirts, either the V is too high where it looks like a crewneck or it isn't deep enough where it would show. Im 5'8 and around 145lbs and wear a small for shirts and dress shirts.Where can one find a deep v neck dress shirt these days?

2. Is it always a horrible idea to not wear anything under a dress shirt button up or a v neck sweater with nothing underneath? Would that be better or worst than wearing a v neck or crew neck that shows the white shirt?

3. Are undershirts all suppose to be long enough where you are suppose to be able to tuck it in? The thing is i do see some deep v neck t shirts where it won't be visible with a button up dress shirt with the top 2 buttons open... however... i believe those are t shirts and not a dress shirt. Could you wear a deep white t shirt under it and that would work? The issue with this though is most of those shirts are pretty short in length... like those t shirts where you just wear them solo without anything on. Would those be fine?

Im sure many of you guys are not a fan of the tight button up dress shirt untucked with jeans look and black loafers for going out. But when i see people doing this, are they wearing undershirts? Are you suppose to wear an undershirt? The thing is if so, wouldn't the undershirt still have to be tucked in the jeans?

4. Is it always best to avoid crew neck t shirts no matter what? I always seem to like v neck t shirts as oppose to crewnecks. It seems crewneck t shirts only good if you wearing a button up dress shirt with a tie.

5. I have a banana republic pima t shirt in small that i love to wear whether its goilng outside or sleeping with it. Its Small size and perfect for me. Thus the length of it is pretty nice in that it fits if you wearing it only by itself. The issue with this though is the V is very high... where it looks like a crewneck t shirt if you get what i mean. But if this V is deep enough, can you wear it as undershirt? Also are t shirts and undershirts different in that undershirts feel a bit lighter? Thus if u wear a deep v neck t shirt and not undershirt and wear a button up with it and then v neck sweater, would it feel too hot compared to the undershirt?

6. I always liked wearing a button up with the button undone and the sleeves rolled up and wearing shorts along with flip flops. Im sure you guys know what type of look im taliking about... like in the summer. However the button up dress shirt would be untucked. I always worn an A undershirt under it and obviosuly A shirts arent that good. I assume wearing a deep v neck undershirt is necessary for it? Also is it suppose to be tucked in if they button up dress shirt obviously isn't tucked in?

7. When people say 1 button or 2 button undone... do they mean the buttons on the chest? Thus when they say 2 buttons undone, do they mean the collar and the 1st button on the chest or the 2 buttons on the chest? Im pretty sure 100 percent when they say 1 button undone, im sure its the chest and when they say 2 button undone, its the chest and the collar isn't involved right? Also if true, isn't unbuttoning just 1 button the chest the best? I tried to do 2 buttons and it looks nothing more than looking for attention.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

2. Is it always a horrible idea to not wear anything under a dress shirt button up or a v neck sweater with nothing underneath? Would that be better or worst than wearing a v neck or crew neck that shows the white shirt?

Depends on how thick/thin the shirt is. If you can make out the nipples & chest hair through the shirt, you need an undershirt (or a better shirt.) If not, it's more of a "personal preference" thing.

3. Are undershirts all suppose to be long enough where you are suppose to be able to tuck it in?

Im sure many of you guys are not a fan of the tight button up dress shirt untucked with jeans look and black loafers for going out. But when i see people doing this, are they wearing undershirts? Are you suppose to wear an undershirt? The thing is if so, wouldn't the undershirt still have to be tucked in the jeans?

Length of the undershirt: it's good to be able to tuck it in, but unless the shirt overtop is so thin that you see where the undershirt ends above the pants, who cares? It's just annoying having an untucked undershirt shifting around.

I probably wouldn't wear an undershirt with that look (untucked dress shirt, jeans, &c) if I wore that look ... but then again I wouldn't wear that look.

:001_rolle

6. I always liked wearing a button up with the button undone and the sleeves rolled up and wearing shorts along with flip flops. Im sure you guys know what type of look im taliking about... like in the summer. However the button up dress shirt would be untucked. I always worn an A undershirt under it and obviosuly A shirts arent that good. I assume wearing a deep v neck undershirt is necessary for it? Also is it suppose to be tucked in if they button up dress shirt obviously isn't tucked in?

Like this?

proxy.php

Or like this?

proxy.php

Top Bottom