What's new

Unrefined Shea Butter - post shave

Hi gents,

I gave it a try last Sunday. The smell is (very) unpleasant but the result is suprisingly good. I massage my face and neck and after 2-3 minutes, splash my A/S. Soothing and nourishing without "clogging" my pores....

YMMV but.... have you tried it ? If yes ---> same routine ?

I'll test is as a pre-shave alternative to oil. Any experience to share ?
Tks

I have discovered THE post shave magic. "Neutrogena Razor Defense" lotion. Its expensive and comes in a small 73ml tube, but it takes so little that it lasts for 6 months or more. I can trade out any other part of my shave routine. I have several pre-shaves, dozens and dozens of razors, almost as many soaps & creams and 1/2 dozen after shaves, but this is the only product that's ALLWAYS in my shave. Try it!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I use Unrefined Shea Butter whipped w/coconut and almond oil. The smell to me is mild and pleasant.

Post shave and also in my circle beard and head hair.

I prefer the East African variety.

$nilotica_shea_butter_pic_1.jpg

I have tried the East as well as the West African variety. While the East African Niloteca Shea Butter is easier to spread and has a milder scent than the West African. I found the West African version actually performs better for healing the skin. It's also significantly cheaper since the East African variety tends to be harvested from conflict zones, which drives the price up.

This is the one I use: African Fair Trade Society Organic unrefined pure Shea Butter and though you do have to work it between your hands to warm it up to make it more spreadable, it is easily the best one I have ever tried. The scent is something that though possibly offputting to some at first (my wife and I actually don't mind the scent at all, it's kind of a nutty scent), you really do get used to it after a while and once you put it on it does fade quite quickly.

I'm convinced there is no better natural moisturizer out there. It even repels water off your skin once the skin has absorbed it and the moisturizing abilities don't wash off very easily at all like they do for other moisturizers.

Check out this other thread from another shave forum for further details about it being used post shave. That's the thread that introduced me to it and I've thanked Celestino a few times for introducing me to this wonderful product.

Last edited:

mrlandpirate

I get mine off ebay for 8 to 10 dollars a pound. It make a LOT when whipped and melts in your hands easily. you can add scent if you like.

mrlandpirate

there's vid's on you tube for whipped shea butter, but I melt it in a double boiler add the oil and have at it with the Kitchen Aid but you can use a hand mixer to. Takes around 30 min. or so I'll whip it for 10 min then put it in the freezer for 5 then whip it more till it gets smooth, put it in jars and let it get hard.

there's vid's on you tube for whipped shea butter, but I melt it in a double boiler add the oil and have at it with the Kitchen Aid but you can use a hand mixer to. Takes around 30 min. or so I'll whip it for 10 min then put it in the freezer for 5 then whip it more till it gets smooth, put it in jars and let it get hard.
••••••
Appreciate your help..thks

Funny you should mention it, cause I have tried it, and thought about posting about it. You can get a tub of raw shea butter uptown in Harlem for $3 a tub, and I've been using is as a body moisturizer for quite a while now. Nothing is better in the winter. I goes on rather heavy, and I have oily skin, so I've always avoided my face. BTW, I rather like the smell, kind of earthy and nutty.

Last night I had a particularly rough shave, and my face felt very tight and dry. I rubbed a little dab of it around the shaved area. Initially it felt heavy and greasy, but it did help sooth some of the irritation, and took away the dryness. After a little while, the greasy feeling went away, a bit to my surprise. My skin wasn't particularly oily the next morning. It might be to heavy to use every day, but it seems to help once in a while as needed.

I thought about using it as a preshave. It might help with glide, and it's an ingredient in some shaving soaps, so why not? I might give it a shot.

Top Bottom