What's new

Underated Guitarists

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Gill is staggeringly talented. Not only his guitar playing, which is Upper Tier, but his voice is amazing. If you want to hear one of the best vocal performances you'll ever hear, look up Brian Wilson's "Surf's Up" performed live about 20 years ago with Gill, David Crosby and Jimmy Webb. Be prepared to have your mind blown.
Have you heard his duet with Ricky Skaggs singing the Merle Travis classic "Dark as a Dungeon" with the Chieftains? Incredible.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Could Vince Gill be considered underrated? I am not a country guy at all, but he is an amazing guitarist.

Roy Clark was another great country guitarist. Maybe not underrated, but wasn’t known predominantly as a guitarist (singer, banjo, etc.).

Agreed on Les Paul, he was incredible. Not underrated though as he was known as a monster player. I regret not seeing him in NYC just before he died. He played in a little club every week and I was “too busy” during a vacation to NY maybe 15 years ago to go see him. 👎

Gill is staggeringly talented. Not only his guitar playing, which is Upper Tier, but his voice is amazing. If you want to hear one of the best vocal performances you'll ever hear, look up Brian Wilson's "Surf's Up" performed live about 20 years ago with Gill, David Crosby and Jimmy Webb. Be prepared to have your mind blown.

Roy Clark was outstanding.

And if we start down the Banjo road, in the first house lives Earl Scruggs.

The kids haven’t heard serious plucks until they’ve savored the Banjo legends. A different church altogether.

If we're going country I'll throw out Don Rich, the lead guitarist for Buck Owen's Buckaroos.

1698698242436.png

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Two of my all time favorites are Richard Thompson and R.L. Burnside

I've not looked at the Rolling Stone list but I'd wager that Thompson is on it. Burnside is probably not.

1698698287660.png
1698698328606.png

I consider myself fortunate to have seen both of them perform live.

Nah. Fahey was a great player and did labor somewhat in obscurity, although influential. I would not have thought of him so much as a slide player. Thanks for the suggestion, though. This is going to drive me crazy trying to think of this guy's name!
I was trying to think of John Campbell. Texas/Louisiana and then NYC, I guess. More late 80s and 90s than 70s, it looks like. Died at 41 from a heart attack in his sleep. I never saw him live. Said to be awesome live. I know someone who did see him on the same bill as Sonny Landref and another famous slide player, who said Campbell blew them off the stage, and they are big Landref fans. This video probably does not do him justice, but gives you an idea.

For that matter, I would say that Little George Sueref is one of the most underrated, or at least appreciated, blues guys, period. Guitar, harp, vocal. Best known for the latter two, but I really like the way he plays guitar.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
And I'll go ahead and throw out husband and wife duo Cary Ann Hearst and Michael Trent aka Shovels & Rope. Two very talented underrated musicians. If you haven't seen them do yourself a favor and do, they tour relentlessly.

1698698818546.png

Big fan of Steve Morse from the Dixie Dregs. I also have always enjoyed Stanley Jordan, although he may not be the greatest guitarist, his shows are incredible. Denny Dias and Jeff Skunk Baxter from their Steely Dan days did some remarkable work. I have a friend back from my school days named Brian Wilkie who always blew me away with his talent. I've lost touch with him, but I understand he's making a living in music, so that's no small feat.
Good picks. I would not have said that Skunk Baxter was underrated. But they did leave him off the list. RS seems to know nothing at all!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Ok I'll throw out one more that I've seen live that's been very impressive and is likely under rated, under everyone's radar. Eugene Edwards, plays lead in Dwight Yoakam's band

1698699115954.png

Have you heard his duet with Ricky Skaggs singing the Merle Travis classic "Dark as a Dungeon" with the Chieftains? Incredible.
I have not! But thanks for the tip. I'll look it up. Thank you. (I'm a huge Skaggs fan as well).
Lots of folks left off the RS 250 list, I suppose! Hard to talk about underrated in a way, because those who know, know! Terry Kath is an example of the latter, I guess. Billy Strings, too. Also, I would not say a player has to be at the very top of guitar players to be underrated.

Martin Barre of Jethro Tull is a great guitar player, one does not hear much about.

Most underrated may be Kenny Wayne Shepard. Sort of SRV and Jim Hendrix combined.

I never hear much about David Rawlings, Gillian Welch's husband. He seems amazing and unique to me.

Glenn Campbell probably does not get recognized for just how great a guitar player he was. Roy Clark, too. Sonny Landref as a slide player. Folks do not seem to talk much about Lowell George these days.

Ron Wood may be underrated. I think everyone is going to hear about Markus King eventually.

Probably everyone who played guitar with the Funk Brothers. I do not like him much, but Danny Gatton. I would say that Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi is underrated. He is a good vocalist, too.

John Cipollina of Quicksilver was on the RS 250 list, and whose name I seem to chronically misspell, but I would say he is underrated.

I think Bob Dylan is underrated as a guitar player, judging by those acoustic albums he did.

No one ever talks about Elvis Costello as a guitarist, but I think he is very good.

Gary Moore was absolutely incredible. Rory Gallagher.

Dickie Betts of the Allmans. Duane said he was better than he was.

Bryan MacLean of Love. When is the last time anyone mentioned Randy California?

Steve Winwood gets more props for keyboards than guitar, but he can really play.

I think Robbie Krieger is underrated.

There is a slide player so obscure, I cannot remember his name, who was as good as the best slide players as far as I am concerned. Send shivers down your spine. I think he had one album and then died young. White guy from NYC, or Brooklyn or something like that. Spent time in Louisiana though. John something maybe. Might have been a junior. I am ashamed not to remember his name. I think he is from the 1970s or so.

Lots and lots of folks playing on YouTube.

Joe Perry of Aerosmith said that Brad Whitford is vastly underrated.
DEFINITELY Martin Barre. I have one of his solo albums. He was such a driving force behind Jethro Tull and was overshadowed by Ian Anderson but a great electric and acoustic guitarist. I follow him on YouTube.
Winwood: When Eric Clapton did the Blind Faith album with Winwood (which in my opinion features some of his best guitar solos), he later commented, "I really had to bring my A game. Stevie pushed me." That speaks volumes.
Glen Campbell: Unquestionably. He was part of the Wrecking Crew that did session work for dozens of artists back in the day. A virtuoso.
All of the ones you mentioned are excellent, although a couple of them I confess I've not heard of. 😆

Skunk might be more famous for his electronics and his muppet influence.
That is funny. He is now a defense contractor, they say. He was with some good groups and did a lot of session work. I would think he would be hard to miss, but I guess I was wrong.

although a couple of them I confess I've not heard of.
I liked everything you said. I am sure some of the folks I mentioned no one here has heard of, althoughfor the most part I tried not to go completely obscure. Little George and J Campbell are obscure though, except apparently not in the NYC and London blues scenes.

Jimmy Thackery, once of the Nighthawks, would be highly underrated too. No doubt he has the skills. I have not loved what he picks to put on records, but he sure has chops.

Eugene Edwards, plays lead in Dwight Yoakam's band
Good pick. I did not know of him, but Dwight Yoakam does a great job. Don Rich, too. I like the Bakersfield sound.

There are likely local people everywhere that are fantastic, especially places that have a great music scene. Can you imagine how many great players there are in Nashville? Mark Banning, recently sadly deceased, was well-known in the Bay area. This is good, and he could play Jeff Beck pretty much as well as Jeff Beck. Nicest guy ever, too.

• Robben Ford
  • Vernon Reid
  • Brian May (reason why I started playing)
  • Richie Sambora
  • Mark Knopfler
There are many more obviously, but these came to mind in addition to the ones mentioned earlier.

Billy Strings. Relatively new, but just an amazing player with a dead-perfect sense of what bluegrass should be.

Glen Campbell. Somehow he got mostly known for his voice, but he played superbly.

I was glad to see Clarence White on the list. He's not often remembered.

I do not think Billy Strings is underrated by anyone who has seen him!

If Clarence White had livec he would have been as famous as any player.

Guitar Player magazine picked Brian May as the number 1 player ever recently.

I realize the scope of the thread is to focus on guitarists who are either left off the list, or who are otherwise far less known than they ought to be; however, in my estimation putting a talent like Jerry Garcia at #34 is a prime example of underrating a musician whose gifts far exceeded most of those who proceed him by ranking on the RS list.

My opinion.

Bill

And there we enter a truly endless rabbit hole, Spy Car! But I would not let that discourage us! We can start with Andy Summer of the Police. at 250. A highly influential player!

Top Bottom