What's new

Underated Guitarists

In light of the recent thread about RS ranking of 250 greatest guitarists, Ii thought it might be interesting to discuss the most 'underated' guitarists. In this thread, I'm thinking Stevie Ray Vaugh or Pete Townsend etc. don't really belong. I'm talking about players who's names are 'never' brought up as being great, but are amazing. Probably you know names many have never heard, but not a requirement. My #1 would be Eric Stewart of 10CC; another favorite is Lolly Vegas of 'Redbone'. What say you?

Thing is there are lots of people with talent who never make it to big time for many reasons.

Maybe this is reason shows like Americas Got Talent are good. Event those who win the Million Bucks, plus those who don’t.🤧

$1,000,000.00 =‘s only 25k/year over 40 years.

The exposure is good, LOSERS get work, or first break to build off.

Music like acting is tough career to break in too.

In light of the recent thread about RS ranking of 250 greatest guitarists, Ii thought it might be interesting to discuss the most 'underated' guitarists. In this thread, I'm thinking Stevie Ray Vaugh or Pete Townsend etc. don't really belong. I'm talking about players who's names are 'never' brought up as being great, but are amazing. Probably you know names many have never heard, but not a requirement. My #1 would be Eric Stewart of 10CC; another favorite is Lolly Vegas of 'Redbone'. What say you?
I'm a HUGE fan of Eric Stewart and 10cc and would agree with you. He had some nice solos and was always melodic. (Also an incredible singer.)
I think Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull is underrated as an acoustic player. My brother-in-law and I were playing guitars last night and we both commented on how smooth he was with his rapid finger picking.
You'll probably laugh at my next choice but I think George Harrison was underrated. If you listen to his work as a 21-year-old when the Beatles made it big and then a few years later when they were established stars, his improvement is amazing. Very original.
I'm sure I'll think of more and may add them but these are just off the top of my head ...

A more obscure one is Dean DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots. Some of the crazy Jazz chords he uses are real knuckle busters. And STP arrangements can be bonkers (Interstate Love Song is a good example).

Prince, Lindsay Buckingham, Alex Lifeson (Rush), Rik Emmett (Triumph) and Ian Thornley (Big Wreck) also come to mind.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I don't see many people that I know on that list. Then again, I listened to a different time.

But that Chet Atkins is not in the top ten is downright criminal.

And where is Les Paul? The guy who practically invented the electric guitar, and so much more.

These ranking people have obviously never spent much time in the country and western aisles, or heard much old Nashville sound. Amateurs.

A more obscure one is Dean DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots. Some of the crazy Jazz chords he uses are real knuckle busters. And STP arrangements can be bonkers (Interstate Love Song is a good example).

Prince, Lindsay Buckingham, Alex Lifeson (Rush), Rik Emmett (Triumph) and Ian Thornley (Big Wreck) also come to mind.
Agree on all counts.

Could Vince Gill be considered underrated? I am not a country guy at all, but he is an amazing guitarist.

Roy Clark was another great country guitarist. Maybe not underrated, but wasn’t known predominantly as a guitarist (singer, banjo, etc.).

Agreed on Les Paul, he was incredible. Not underrated though as he was known as a monster player. I regret not seeing him in NYC just before he died. He played in a little club every week and I was “too busy” during a vacation to NY maybe 15 years ago to go see him. 👎

Could Vince Gill be considered underrated? I am not a country guy at all, but he is an amazing guitarist.

Roy Clark was another great country guitarist. Maybe not underrated, but wasn’t known predominantly as a guitarist (singer, banjo, etc.).

Agreed on Les Paul, he was incredible. Not underrated though as he Was known as a monster player.
Gill is staggeringly talented. Not only his guitar playing, which is Upper Tier, but his voice is amazing. If you want to hear one of the best vocal performances you'll ever hear, look up Brian Wilson's "Surf's Up" performed live about 20 years ago with Gill, David Crosby and Jimmy Webb. Be prepared to have your mind blown.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Agreed on Les Paul, he was incredible. Not underrated though as he was known as a monster player. I regret not seeing him in NYC just before he died. He played in a little club every week and I was “too busy” during a vacation to NY maybe 15 years ago to go see him. 👎

Roy Clark was outstanding.

And if we start down the Banjo road, in the first house lives Earl Scruggs.

The kids haven’t heard serious plucks until they’ve savored the Banjo legends. A different church altogether.

Hiram Bullock ...!
... specifically as he played on the albums he did with Carla Bley in the 1980s and 90s, e.g. "Heavy Heart" and "Sextet".
Here is just one taster from the latter album ...:

Lots of folks left off the RS 250 list, I suppose! Hard to talk about underrated in a way, because those who know, know! Terry Kath is an example of the latter, I guess. Billy Strings, too. Also, I would not say a player has to be at the very top of guitar players to be underrated.

I think Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull is underrated as an acoustic player.
Martin Barre of Jethro Tull is a great guitar player, one does not hear much about.

Most underrated may be Kenny Wayne Shepard. Sort of SRV and Jim Hendrix combined.

I never hear much about David Rawlings, Gillian Welch's husband. He seems amazing and unique to me.

Glenn Campbell probably does not get recognized for just how great a guitar player he was. Roy Clark, too. Sonny Landref as a slide player. Folks do not seem to talk much about Lowell George these days.

Ron Wood may be underrated. I think everyone is going to hear about Markus King eventually.

Probably everyone who played guitar with the Funk Brothers. I do not like him much, but Danny Gatton. I would say that Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi is underrated. He is a good vocalist, too.

John Cipollina of Quicksilver was on the RS 250 list, and whose name I seem to chronically misspell, but I would say he is underrated.

I think Bob Dylan is underrated as a guitar player, judging by those acoustic albums he did.

No one ever talks about Elvis Costello as a guitarist, but I think he is very good.

Gary Moore was absolutely incredible. Rory Gallagher.

Dickie Betts of the Allmans. Duane said he was better than he was.

Bryan MacLean of Love. When is the last time anyone mentioned Randy California?

Steve Winwood gets more props for keyboards than guitar, but he can really play.

I think Robbie Krieger is underrated.

There is a slide player so obscure, I cannot remember his name, who was as good as the best slide players as far as I am concerned. Send shivers down your spine. I think he had one album and then died young. White guy from NYC, or Brooklyn or something like that. Spent time in Louisiana though. John something maybe. Might have been a junior. I am ashamed not to remember his name. I think he is from the 1970s or so.

Lots and lots of folks playing on YouTube.

Joe Perry of Aerosmith said that Brad Whitford is vastly underrated.

Lots of folks left off the RS 250 list, I suppose! Hard to talk about underrated in a way, because those who know, know! Terry Kath is an example of the latter, I guess. Billy Strings, too. Also, I would not say a player has to be the very top of guitar players to be underrated.

Martin Barre of Jethro Tull is a great guitar player, one does not hear much about.

Most underrated may be Kenny Wayne Shepard. Sort of SRV and Jim Hendrix combined.

I never hear much about David Rawlings, Gillian Welch's husband. He seems amazing and unique to me.

Glenn Campbell probably does not get recognized for just how great a guitar player he was. Roy Clark, too. Sonny Landref as a slide player. Folks do not seem to talk much about Lowell George these days.

Ron Wood may be underrated. I think everyone is going to hear about Markus King eventually.

Probably everyone who played guitar with the Funk Brothers. I do not like him much, but Danny Gatton. I would say that Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi is underrated. He is a good vocalist, too.

John Cipollina of Quicksilver was on the RS 250 list, and whose name I seem to chronically misspell, but I would say he is underrated.

I think Bob Dylan is underrated as a guitar player, judging by those acoustic albums he did.

No one ever talks about Elvis Costello as a guitarist, but I think he is very good.

Steve Winwood gets more props for keyboards than guitar, but he can really play.

There is a slide player so obscure, I cannot remember his name, who was as good as the best slide players as far as I am concerned. Send shivers down your spine. I think he had one album and then died young. White guy from NYC, or Brooklyn or something like that. Spent time in Louisiana though. John something maybe. Might have been a junior. I am ashamed not to remember his name. I think he is from the 1970s or so.

Lots of folks left off the RS 250 list, I suppose! Hard to talk about underrated in a way, because those who know, know! Terry Kath is an example of the latter, I guess. Billy Strings, too. Also, I would not say a player has to be at the very top of guitar players to be underrated.

"There is a slide player so obscure, I cannot remember his name, who was as good as the best slide players as far as I am concerned. Send shivers down your spine. I think he had one album and then died young. White guy from NYC, or Brooklyn or something like that. Spent time in Louisiana though. John something maybe. Might have been a junior. I am ashamed not to remember his name. I think he is from the 1970s or so.". ........Although he made lots of records, I was wondering if you were thinking of John Fahey.

I was wondering if you were thinking of John Fahey.
Nah. Fahey was a great player and did labor somewhat in obscurity, although influential. I would not have thought of him so much as a slide player. Thanks for the suggestion, though. This is going to drive me crazy trying to think of this guy's name!

Big fan of Steve Morse from the Dixie Dregs. I also have always enjoyed Stanley Jordan, although he may not be the greatest guitarist, his shows are incredible. Denny Dias and Jeff Skunk Baxter from their Steely Dan days did some remarkable work. I have a friend back from my school days named Brian Wilkie who always blew me away with his talent. I've lost touch with him, but I understand he's making a living in music, so that's no small feat.

Top Bottom