What's new

Underated Guitarists

Jason Isbell
I know I am not keeping up with music these days. I should know Jason Isbell, but I do not other than to recognize the name.
Tony Rice and Norman Blake
Okay, my knowledge of "new grass" of Americana has been stretched to the breaking point. There are a lot of good players in lots of genres out there.

Greg Koch
Big time teacher and guitar instructional book author. Out of Wisconsin. Has won national guitar playing contests. Yes, lots of excellent players out there. I am officially at sea! The Midwest actually has an impressive blues scene. I wonder if he is a part of that.

If Duane said he was the better guitarist, I'm going with Dickey.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 2.50.18 PM.png

I thought of another name for this thread: Dominic Miller, Sting's guitarist. He's brilliant and nobody has ever heard of him.

A few of my favorites come to mind...

Richard Lloyd (Television, Matthew Sweet, Solo)

Sterling Morrison (The Velvet Underground)

Kid Congo Powers (The Cramps, The Gun Club, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds)

Keith Levene (Public Image Ltd, The Clash)

Billy Zoom (X)

Bernard Sumner (Joy Division/New Order)

A few of my favorites come to mind...

Richard Lloyd (Television, Matthew Sweet, Solo)

Sterling Morrison (The Velvet Underground)

Kid Congo Powers (The Cramps, The Gun Club, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds)

Keith Levene (Public Image Ltd, The Clash)

Billy Zoom (X)

Bernard Sumner (Joy Division/New Order)
very hip list, WM!

My favorite underrated player is Greg Koch. A true master. If you don’t know, watch his YouTube channel.
Why oh why did I not include Greg on my list???
He IS a true master. He can play anything. I've had the pleasure of seeing him play live and meeting him. I've mentioned this story before but when I met him at Sweetwater's Gearfest about 5 years ago, I told him, "Greg, you're an inspiration to me."
"Really?"
"Yes. You've inspired me to quit playing guitar."
He laughed.
Great guy with a fantastic sense of humor.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Man, the number of underrated guitarists it many times longer than the 250 on that Rolling Stones list, but there are some absurd omissions.

Regardless, if I were to make a list of the most overrated anythings, the top several or so would be Rolling Stones "greatest" lists.

Top Bottom