What's new

Ultimate blade bank?

If I had room in my medicine cabinet to actually get to a blade slot, I might put one in...
You have no excuse kind sir. I've been seeing blade slots that attach to the wall popping up. They used to be found in train and bus depots, a few homes had them. Now they're available for around 10-20 dollars. All you must do is drill or cut a slot out of the wall and screw the razor slot into the wall.

Anyone make a cool bank out of scratch? I've been thinking of using old coin banks as well, something nice and inconspicuous.

It's also probably a bad idea to have wiring behind a wall...or plumbing under floors...In fact lets just do away with walls and have open plan. Health & Safety solved.

I thought I would toss this in. I can't put a blade slot in the house I'm in (built in 1947), because it's a rental. However, I have, in my shaving supplies box, a steel wall plate with a razor slot cut into it. (the original medicine cabinets are long gone, too)

If you wish to make a _clean_ and nice looking blade bank slot, here's how to do it cheaply. Go to Lowes or Home Depot. Pick up a 'low voltage old gang work box'. It's basically a plastic frame with two screw clamps, on top, one bottom. Also pick up a stainless steel wall plate. Total cost for both should be about $4. use the provided template (or if one isn't provided, turn the work box around and trace with a pencil, then cut out) to cut a hole into the sheetrock. Insert the work box, screw it tight. Make it the same height as the light switch, but on _another_ stud. (or the opposite side of the mirror from the GFCI outlet). Take the metal plate, and if you have one, use a grinding stone to cut a nice slot. For a not so nice slot, set it on top of a piece of 2x4 and whang away with a cold chisel (from the front!) and create a slot. Or, you can do the really poor mans method, and use a nail and a pair of pliers :). Screw that on, and you'll have a nicely placed, shiny plate that can't be hurt by the blade. If you want to make it able to be emptied, get a high voltage old gang work box, and put the slot at the top of the plate. That'll have the blades drop into the box. When you're full, carefully remove the plate and remove the razors.

As for me, I went to Sally's Beauty supply and picked up a sharps container. I did that because my wife was chunking her razor heads straight into a trash can - the ones with 5 bazillion blades. Most of mine end up inserted in the backside of the blade dispenser. (I can fit about 15 blades into a 5 blade dispenser)

I'm sitting at my sister's and just went to use her bathroom and guess what's in the back of her medicine cabinet? That's right, a blade slot. I'm getting the cabinet when they redo their bathroom too lol. Just called dibs on it.

When I renovated the bath in my house, there was nearly 2 feet of used razor blades (the house was built in 1953). I put on some leather glove and scooped them up with a dust pan and disposed them in an old cat food bag to the garbage. I probably would have done something different if I did it all over again.

As mentioned above, It's the brand of the cabinet maker "Miami-Carey." Since the cabinet is reversible to open on either side depending on the orientation, it's impressed upside down on the top side. I have no idea how old it is but I grew up in this house. I am 65 and it's been in that hole as long as I can remember.

The Lavoris bottle is a fake. It used to contain Steen's pure cane syrup. I removed the Steen's label and reproduced an old Lavoris label I found an image of online. It currently contains Scope.
Not long ago a ladyfriend visitor asked "May I use your mouthwash? I said "sure." After she had finished gargling I asked "How was it? Fine she replied." Good it's been in there since 1915 and I always wondered how it was holding up."

That is Great!!!:lol:

This might not be the ultimate blade bank but it works and it comes filled with peanuts!! LOL :lol:

Attachments

• $IMG_4165.jpg
    $IMG_4165.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 25
This might not be the ultimate blade bank but it works and it comes filled with peanuts!! LOL :lol:

This is the best argument yet for cutting a slot in your medicine cabinet.

That may be the ultimate lure to a child. A label promising a tasty treat, rattles when shaken, easy to open, and filled with enticing shiny objects.

Inside the wall is much better because at least some future plumber won't be tempted to put them in his mouth.

That may be the ultimate lure to a child. A label promising a tasty treat, rattles when shaken, easy to open, and filled with enticing shiny objects.

Inside the wall is much better because at least some future plumber won't be tempted to put them in his mouth.
Just wrap it in paper, or duct tape, or paint it red, or glue some caution tape on it. I got a tootsie roll can that came with a slot on it. I just duct taped some paper on it, made it look ugly and marked it DANGER and USED RAZOR BLADES. glueing the lids on helps too.

Just wrap it in paper, or duct tape, or paint it red, or glue some caution tape on it. I got a tootsie roll can that came with a slot on it. I just duct taped some paper on it, made it look ugly and marked it DANGER and USED RAZOR BLADES. glueing the lids on helps too.
The peanut can works great and it's always out of sight behind the aftershaves and soaps, I have a large bathroom and the cabinets are high enough on the wall behind my sink about 8 ft away from it to where the kids can't reach them. It has definitely been glued shut and I still taped the lid to the can, I do need to mark it but it's been there for over a year and never had to worry about anyone getting into it. But I understand the concern.

Last edited:
Top Bottom