What's new

Turned Wood Brush Handles

What's the general consensus here about wood brush handles? Would you buy one if it was well done? Are you afraid of the effects of continuous water day after day? Would you be more apt to buy one that was stabilized in a vacuum chamber?
I'm just curious as I want to start making them for resale.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
With Semogue SOC knots, I like them. The metal cup they use prevents cracking. The handles themselves can be occasionally treated with oil (the kind made for salad bowl and so on) if they lose their finish.

I have one Zenith olive wood that has the knot glued in with no insert I can see. It hasn’t been used frequently, so I can’t comment on how durable it is.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
What's the general consensus here about wood brush handles? Would you buy one if it was well done? Are you afraid of the effects of continuous water day after day? Would you be more apt to buy one that was stabilized in a vacuum chamber?
I'm just curious as I want to start making them for resale.
Please keep us informed of your progress. Some of us are always looking for unique handles. To me, brushes give as much enjoyment as razors.

Test the waters with one or two. If they don't sell, you have one or two handmade items for yourself or to PIF.

Wood handled brushes are not nearly as popular as resin and other materials. I'd say as much as 50:1 or greater. What knot you use and what you charge will go a long way too. It will have to be priced ultra competitive to sway people over an established brush maker or a name branded brush. The only wood handled brush j would consider is a Semogue branded with the metal collared knot.

It will be a hard sell. Keep in mind, you currently do NOT meet the minimum post count criteria to sell here and if you speed post, the mods may catch on and implement a hand slap, penalty or worse.

DSCF1442.jpeg
IMG_2474.jpeg
IMG_2448.jpeg

Here ar some I've turned which I have pictures of. The one in my hand is my personal every day brush It is turned from Cocobola and has an oil finish and has held up well. Cocobola is an oily wood anyway and maybe would be fine unfinished(?)

I have a few wood handled brushes. They are sealed with polyurethane and hold up well to water. As long as they are sealed, you should be fine with them.

I have used wipe on poly on other turnings and like to use it. However I have run across something else I may try. I hope I don't run afoul on here by mentioning products by name but I am going to use Total Boat's penetrating epoxy with a coat of their Gleam varnish over it. The epoxy is what they recommend to repair rotted transoms and water proof them so it seems it would fill the bill to seal shaving brush handles! I just don't want to do stabilization because of all the extra equipment needed.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Here comes part two of the question. I plan on selling them in an Etsy shop to start with. However I don't want to invest in a huge number of knots to put in them. I wouldn't know where to start anyway. I have a "pure badger" knot that I got from Shave forge for a whoppin' big $13.65, and i like it very much. I can't imagine how much better better ones would be. I also have a G5C synthetic that I use a lot more and really like.
I have thought of offering that one or a G5A SHD as the only available knots What are you feelings on these choices? Or should i go with a Mühle extra large STF as the only choice? I do not have any discounts available so I would pretty much have to sell them at my cost with shipping, as I know everyone would know what they cost.

Very nice handles. I suggest you start with good quality Chinese synthetic knots. The ones you will find in Yaqi brushes. Those knots will likely cost only a few dollars to buy.

I would go with Apshaveco. Andrew has some competitively priced synthetic knots you could use including the G5C which I also really like.

I like wooden handles very much. When they are coated you should be fine for years to come. My dad turned a couple on his wood lathe for me.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom