What's new

Turkish Horse

Any vendor who knowingly makes false claims about their products is committing fraud, which is illegal in the US, EU and, I imagine, Turkey -- where, furthermore, from what I hear, they could have an even bigger problem due to using a product much of the Muslim marketplace might find offensive. But, perhaps these brushes are a mix of horse and boar, or are from a swinish breed of Turkish horse.... Can't wait to see what the inevitable scientist has to say upon testing of the hairs. They certainly do look just like the Jaguar boar brushes, now that I've researched it a bit.

According to Jewish law, food must conform to kosher laws (which are fairly voluminous and detailed). While observant Jews may not eat an unkosher animal such as a boar or anything prepared with boar products (such as a whipped cream whipped with a boar brush), they can use a boar brush to brush their hair, or a wear pigskin shoes, or throw a pigskin football, ride a horse, have and dog, etc. There are some who follow a heightened observance, going beyond the letter of Jewish law in an abundance of piety, and avoid non-kosher animals and non-kosher personal care products, especially those which might accidentally get in the mouth, such as shaving soap/cream. I would imagine, therefore, they prefer synthetic hair brushes as well. Since neither horse nor badger is an animal considered kosher for food, and thus, those avoiding boar's bristle shaving brushes for reasons of kosher observance would (I expect) also avoid horse and badger for the same reasons. Then again, women using a shaving brush for shaving their legs, would have virtually no danger of getting shaving cream in their mouth, and thus should have no problem using boar, horse, and badger brushes.

UPDATE: I posed this situation to a Pakistani friend who's a fairly religious Muslim. He says that the Turks' level of Islamic identity and observance are considered light by much of the Islamic world. He feels most Turks wouldn't care all that much about using a boar bristle shaving brush, and those who might probably wouldn't make a big deal about it. It would be Muslims in other countries who might.

Last edited:
I was in Turkey quite a few years ago with the Marine Corps and enjoyed my stay there quite a bit. I learned, however, that many things in Turkey are not as they seem. For example, when you buy a Kukri knife and they say it is made of folded steel what they really mean is that it is made from a Leaf spring, which is made of folded steel....SO...When I read that it was TURKISH horse, I understood that it COULD be horse, or it could be something else. Some words in Turkish do not translate very easily into English, so it could be lost in the translation. All I know is that for $3 it is a great brush...Mine is feather soft, and all the Derby Tiras Kremi I got was worth it in my opinion.

In Ankara you can buy a WHOLE box of 12 Derby creams for what one tube costs here. We would go out for a straight shave and it was $2, $1 more if you wanted a Bath. Not to mention the meat stuffed in the clay pots, and all the wonderful beverages! ...boy I miss Turkey in the mid 90's! :thumbsup:

As much as I hate to do so, I will admit when I was wrong. I've tried a couple times to find this post to correct myself and just managed to get the search engine to read my mind not my words. On November of 2012 I received this brush and in December of 2012 I started this thread. I have re-read it all to make sure I don't have to eat any particularly prickly words, I think I was honest as I knew it at the time. I tried to stay away from rhetoric, at least in describing the brush.

This brush is still in my shave den and travels with me often. In between trips I use it to clean my trimmers and dust other things off. In short it's been broken in. I have also used a Vie-Long and an Omega so I have decent boar and horse with which to compare.

A little while back while examining the splits on my Omega and waxing philosophical about how cool it all was that it "worked", I looked at the BestShave sitting there quietly, not complaining about the written (or physical) thrashing I gave it. I looked at my Omega and looked at it and realized these things do not look alike. Having recently started straights I have a loupe in the bathroom (which is apparently amusing to my friends). I looked at my Omega tips ... like a Disco Queen on a humid day. I look at the BestShave tips and they look pretty much as they did when they were cut .... from a horse. There I said it. I compared the tips to the thicker (I assume tail) hairs on my Vie-Long and they are strangely similar. I sacrificed one hair from each to my trusty microscope (don't even ask - it was made when you could still buy 120 film) and while I am not a biologist I am 99 44/100ths% sure that the BestShave I have in my possession is Horse.

So, roughly estimated I have 45-50 shaves on this. I have also abused it in a manner to which nobody in their right mind would subject their beloved Badger. It's not complained, not shed a whole bunch, and most of all not cried about this thrashing I gave it in which I was wrong.

Top Bottom