What's new

Tritium Light Watch Recommendations for a Damn Near Blind Guy!

Greetings all!

I am in desperate need of a new watch. I rely on it and simply cannot be without.

The semi new tech of the Tritium light tubes in watches has really caught my attention. I'm legally blind, pretty much really blind in the dark, and a highly visible watch appeals to me a great deal.

Since I have little experience with these watches, makes, models, movement, etc, any advice would be very helpful! I want the absolute brightest make, and I really want a black face for better contrast. I don't need a bunch of funky chronograph junk either, just a watch.

I'm excited to hear your suggestions!

I picked up this Ball Fireman II on TZ during the spring for $700. If you can find one they offer outstanding value.
proxy.php

Mike ... that's killer man. Cool timepiece. That's what I would go with.

The marathon SAR is also on your radar.

Mike, that is nice! Hows the glow on that one?
The glow is very good. It doesn't glow like my Omega or Lum Tec after they have been charged,, but it stays bright all night. I'm very impressed with the watch and bracelet. Great package for the price.

Legion

Staff member
Do you want the brightest after charging or the longest lasting?

My understanding is that Tritium will last, but paint will be brighter when charged.

Last edited:
I've worn a Luminox for the last 10 years. I've had no problems telling the time waking up in the middle of the night, even the second hand is clear. Ten years on this watch and all sorts of abuse, still as bright as the day I bought it.

I've worn a traser for a few years now with now problems. The tritium is very visible in dark and is even available in different colors.

It used to be only Luminox and Traser had the vials but now there are many. Vostok makes some, also Marathon makes them and of course Ball. There are others.

Thanks for the suggestions so far all!

I should have specified a bit more, so...

About $350 is my absolute top end budget. I'd be far more comfortable at $200, but it depends on the quality.

I've done some research on types, and it sounds like the Superluminova watches are great at first, but they require the charging and fade fast. Tritium being all the time sounds more to my liking. I'm just concerned with actual brightness.

I like the idea of simple yet classy. I'm really looking hard at this Traser Classic:
proxy.php

But please, keep suggestions coming! I'm looking into all of them!

Mike where did you find such a beautiful watch at that price?

I bought this one off the TimeZone forum. There are at least 1/2 dozen watch forums where sweet deals can be found on preloved watches. My wife believes they are too easily found.

Lume really depends. A watch like a Seiko Diver is very bright and is very readable all night the Lum-tecs are the same and it has nothing to do with price either. The tritium be aware over time fades and after around 15 years is pretty much gone.

You don't need to go big budget. Mondaine do what you're looking for- this model was 155 GBP about 3 years ago. I assume you'll be able to get it for around $200 nowadays.

Attachments

• $A660.30303.14SBB-CB.jpg
    $A660.30303.14SBB-CB.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom