What's new

Traveling Slant - Try Before You Buy

My experiences with the Slant and a Feather were great, and ok. The first shave I went for a 4 pass attempt at a BBS. It did great, got almost all of my trouble spots and gave me the closest thing to a BBS I've gotten, with just a few areas where I could feel whiskers ATG around my adam's apple. I tried to replicate the same results on the 2nd shave and was met with quite a few nicks, a very superficial cut on my chin and a bit of irritation. I tried to keep my technique up through the whole shave but it just didn't go that well, still not the worse shave I've gotten and I ended up with a DFS.

I think the slant is great, and I'll definitely be looking more into them. I like this one very much, but I'm curious if there are any more "aggressive" slants that might be able to knock down those trouble spots a bit easier. I'll definitely be adding a slant into my arsenal.

If you treat the slant like you would any new razor you've never shaved with before, you should be fine. The slower I went, the better the shave.

I cleaned it up and shipped it off so it's now on it's way to CartridgesAreADrag. Should be there around Tuesday.

I will be bowing out of this one for now. My RAD has been temporarily killed by a 2013 Muhle R41.

Thanks again for the chance.

1. Heron[/COLOR]
2. pbdc13
3. CartridgesAreADrag
4. Cacique
5. SyntheticEvil13
6. OKAllen
7. Efaden
8. BubblesTGB
9. Guzziknight
10. Stol3n
11. 76GTFan
12. captaincaveman
13. Shamful7
14. lmill999
15. texasAUtiger
16. Joshf128

Bought a Merkur 37c on the BST so I took myself off the list.

The 37c arrived and finally had enough time this morning to devote a proper shave to the razor. My first impression is that for the flat surfaces if my face the shave is impeccable. The upper lip and chin are really tricky though due to the large head of the razor.

It sounds like it will just take a bit of time to get used to the angles with it. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

It sounds like it will just take a bit of time to get used to the angles with it. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

+1. I wss iffy the first time I saw a slant but, when I saw this thread I just had to try it at least. I do want to thank everyone involved with this passaround. If it wasn't for guys like you many of us would probably never get to try one.

I ended up buying a 37c. I was hesitant because of my first experience, but it is working out. Getting good shaves with none of the irritation I experienced with the traveling slant. I doubt if I would have ever bought one if I hadn't tried it first.

My feeling is that it's really like almost anything else in life, if you want it you'll learn it. I didn't find the slant any more difficult than I found a regular DE as compared to carts. And I suspect that if everyone learned to use a slant as their first DE the learning curve would be about the same as if everyone started with any other reasonably aggressive DE.

The one thing that was the "weird" thing for me at least was discovering how to watch out for the sharp lower corner. But then I also have exactly the same trouble with straights with a sharp rather than rounded toe. So I knew the problem was me, and after paying attention a bit it became easy to avoid nicks.

The 37c arrived and finally had enough time this morning to devote a proper shave to the razor. My first impression is that for the flat surfaces if my face the shave is impeccable. The upper lip and chin are really tricky though due to the large head of the razor.

When I shaved, I would push my nose upwards or push it to one or the other side with my free hand. Maybe that could help a bit.

I would LOVE to try a slant, I've been thinking about buying one for a while now
I'm in!

1. Heron[/COLOR]
2. pbdc13
3. CartridgesAreADrag
4. Cacique
5. SyntheticEvil13
6. OKAllen
7. Efaden
8. BubblesTGB
9. Guzziknight
10. Stol3n
11. 76GTFan
12. captaincaveman
13. Ender78
14. Shamful7
15. lmill999
16. texasAUtiger
17. Joshf128
18. DocRokRx

Hi All. I'm going to take myself off the list for now. Thanks.

1. Heron[/COLOR]
2. pbdc13
3. CartridgesAreADrag
4. Cacique
5. SyntheticEvil13
6. OKAllen
7. Efaden
8. BubblesTGB
10. Stol3n
11. 76GTFan
12. captaincaveman
13. Ender78
14. Shamful7
15. lmill999
16. texasAUtiger
17. Joshf128
18. DocRokRx

I am really glad to see that this is going well. I couldn't care less if someone does or doesn't buy a slant from it. Finding it's "not for you" is just as important as discovering it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Thanks again mrb7! After being up all night not being able to sleep I have deemed myself not fit to shave. Let alone with a style of razor that I've never used before. So I'll post my initial shave review either late tonight or tomorrow. Either way my bed is calling so, gutenacht.

I'm going to take myself off the list for now...

1. Heron
2. pbdc13
3. CartridgesAreADrag
4. Cacique
5. SyntheticEvil13
6. OKAllen
7. REMOVED - Efaden
8. BubblesTGB
10. Stol3n
11. 76GTFan
12. captaincaveman
13. Ender78
14. Shamful7
15. lmill999
16. texasAUtiger
17. Joshf128
18. DocRokRx

Ok, here goes the first shave review.

Setup
Merkur 37c
Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Semogue 620
MWF
FLOÏD masaje genuino suave

I did my usual two pass shave. From the start I could tell that something was different. It didn't feel the same (skin and blade feel not weight and razor feel) and didn't sound the same. I like to shave in complete silence or at least near to it so I can listen to the shave. While I say that's it's different I am not saying that it was bad, just different. I might be able to pin it down better with more shaves. No BBS shave but, not bad. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being my normal shave, I would give this a 8.5-9. Not quite as close but, a good shave none the less. I shave every other day so, I should be able to get a couple more tries before it gets cleaned and passed on down the list. I think I'm going to swap out some things every time to see if anything changes. Like next shave will be with my Synergy Cavendish with Clubman Special Reserve and so on.

Ok, here goes the first shave review.

Setup
Merkur 37c
Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Semogue 620
MWF
FLOÏD masaje genuino suave

I did my usual two pass shave. From the start I could tell that something was different. It didn't feel the same (skin and blade feel not weight and razor feel) and didn't sound the same. I like to shave in complete silence or at least near to it so I can listen to the shave. While I say that's it's different I am not saying that it was bad, just different. I might be able to pin it down better with more shaves. No BBS shave but, not bad. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being my normal shave, I would give this a 8.5-9. Not quite as close but, a good shave none the less. I shave every other day so, I should be able to get a couple more tries before it gets cleaned and passed on down the list. I think I'm going to swap out some things every time to see if anything changes. Like next shave will be with my Synergy Cavendish with Clubman Special Reserve and so on.

What do you normally shave with?

Top Bottom