What's new

(Too) strong fragrance

I use mostly fragrance free products, but lately I decided to test the two "designer" aftershaves (Drakkar Noir and Armani pour homme), that were collecting dust on the bathroom shelf, on my girlfriend. The reaction was quite clear: "That stuff smells good, but too strong. Feel free to wear it, but don't expect me to hug you!". Or, in other words, "No, full stop!".

What about the balms and splashes that I've never seen in the department stores, but that people here seem to like, such as D. R. Harris, Taylor etc? Would they smell as strong?

I could apply less, of course, but I tried to take as little as I could and still cover the entire shaved area of my face.

I think a lot of the english ones will not be as strong. Whether she likes it or not is another matter, but I can't see get that reaction on Harris Arlington. Use less is the obvious answer, but as you say, sometimes not a very good one for aftershaves. If you do want to wear the scent of Mr. T, my suggestion would be to use an unscented balm, and then splash a little of the Drakkar on your chest like a cologne.

Oh, and wait five minutes before the test. You will be pretty strong smelling until the alcohol dries off from the initial application.

-Mo

I use mostly fragrance free products, but lately I decided to test the two "designer" aftershaves (Drakkar Noir and Armani pour homme), that were collecting dust on the bathroom shelf, on my girlfriend. The reaction was quite clear: "That stuff smells good, but too strong. Feel free to wear it, but don't expect me to hug you!". Or, in other words, "No, full stop!".

What about the balms and splashes that I've never seen in the department stores, but that people here seem to like, such as D. R. Harris, Taylor etc? Would they smell as strong?

I could apply less, of course, but I tried to take as little as I could and still cover the entire shaved area of my face.

How about tweaking the way you apply the cologne?

For example, mist in front of you and then walk through it...

Or, spray on your hand and dab a small amount where ever you want it and then wash your hands.

How about tweaking the way you apply the cologne?

His problem is that the ones he has are aftershaves, not colognes. So he is trying to splash them on his face, the way you normally do with an aftershave.... Although your point makes sense, in that he could just apply them as a cologne, and use something else as an aftershave.

-Mo

Thanks for the comments and the welcomes, everone!

I actually binned the Drakkar after trying it (that bottle was old, dusty and nearly empty, probably as much from evaporation as from use...). I suppose I'll just stick to Nivea for now, and perhaps try out one of those English brands if I come across them.

Top Bottom