What's new

Tobacquistitions! Post Up Your Brown Leaf Goodies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This certainly is a slippery slope I find myself on.:001_smile

Attachments

• $Cuban.JPG
    $Cuban.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 177
Well, thanks to the advice I received from thubbard, jmallen and jwhite, my Nording estate pipe shown earlier in this thread has now been re-born with an oxidation-free stem. The kicker was jwhite's suggestion to use a length of twine or a bit of steel wool twisted into steel "yarn" (that's what I did) to get down into the contours of the stem. Worked like a charm & now it looks like this:

image00006.jpg

image00005.jpg

image00004.jpg

Thanks guys!! :thumbup1:

Well, thanks to the advice I received from thubbard, jmallen and jwhite, my Nording estate pipe shown earlier in this thread has now been re-born with an oxidation-free stem. The kicker was jwhite's suggestion to use a length of twine or a bit of steel wool twisted into steel "yarn" (that's what I did) to get down into the contours of the stem. Worked like a charm & now it looks like this:

Wow! Beautiful work!

image00006.jpg

Sweet! We've got awesome mods and stewards at B&B. That makes me want to go have a bowl of FVF.

It's never too early to start stashing tobacco to age, right? Especially when you're starting from zero and 4noggins has free shipping on orders over $100, right? Right...right? I'm looking for validation here.:001_unsur

Seriously, just ordered up a pile of stuff to stash, plus a couple fliers that sounded interesting. Photos should be forthcoming by Friday.:w00t:

It's never too early to start stashing tobacco to age, right? Especially when you're starting from zero and 4noggins has free shipping on orders over $100, right? Right...right? I'm looking for validation here.:001_unsur

Seriously, just ordered up a pile of stuff to stash, plus a couple fliers that sounded interesting. Photos should be forthcoming by Friday.:w00t:

Sure... Its not an AD, its just good judgement - prudence is the word gentlemen.....:whistling:

...make sure you post the pics:wink2:

Think of it as an investment. You know you like these tobaccos, you know they will get better with age, you know they won't be any cheaper than they are right now.... It's practically foolhardy not to stockpile. Then there's always the possibility that pipe tobacco will disappear entirely, so hoarding is a must, it could become the new post apocalyptic currency, might save the life of you and your family. Oh yeah, your doing
the right thing:wink2:

Think of it as an investment. You know you like these tobaccos, you know they will get better with age, you know they won't be any cheaper than they are right now.... It's practically foolhardy not to stockpile. Then there's always the possibility that pipe tobacco will disappear entirely, so hoarding is a must, it could become the new post apocalyptic currency, might save the life of you and your family. Oh yeah, your doing
the right thing:wink2:

Thanks guys. That's kinda my line of thinking (well, except for the apocalypse part...that hadn't really entered the equation). Drop a hundo or so every couple months until a suitable reserve is built up, then I can just replace what I use and always be smoking well-aged goodness. Kinda like straight razors - a big initial investment, but minimum outlay in the long run. (Note to self: Do not try to use this comparison when the wife questions the Visa statement - she knows it's utter BS.)

I, for one, can't wait to see everything that you have acquired recently.

And, of course you should get enough to set some aside for aging, especially when there is free shipping involved! :thumbup:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I am all for taking advantage of the free shipping, and stocking up, however, the one issue of the indiscriminate buying of tobacco when you first start is that once you become more in tune with pipe tobacco preferences, your tastes might change In 6 to 12 months from now if Virgina's and VaPer's are all you want, the 6 tins of Presbyterian, and pound of Westminster you bought in the first month may not be as exciting.

I am all for taking advantage of the free shipping, and stocking up, however, the one issue of the indiscriminate buying of tobacco when you first start is that once you become more in tune with pipe tobacco preferences, your tastes might change In 6 to 12 months from now if Virgina's and VaPer's are all you want, the 6 tins of Presbyterian, and pound of Westminster you bought in the first month may not be as exciting.

A fair point, and one that I did consider to some degree. While I did grab a couple odd aroes just to experiment, the only tobaccos I really "stocked up" on (more than a single tin) met both of these criteria:

1. I've tried it and really liked it.
2. At least one seasoned pipe smoker has indicated to me that it is a regular smoke for him.

So I've deliberately tried to eliminate the "indiscriminate" part of the indiscriminate buying. In fact, there were a couple that did meet both criteria that I either did not order (Peterson's Irish Oak) or only ordered a single tin (BCF), although both will be candidates whenever round two rolls around. So I really only "stocked up" on two blends while picking up a couple individual tins of a few more. While I know that is hardly a foolproof plan, my thought is that it should minimize the "outgrowing" factor, and if in fact I find that, a year from now, I no longer care for them, I shouldn't expect too much difficulty trading them out.

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Clearly you need to buy tins so you can find out what you prefer, and unless you only buy just enough to smoke between orders you'll always have some extra. Blends tend to fall into three categories. There are tobacco's that you'll always have a open tin of, and then there are tobacco's that will fall in and out of favor with you, and then there are tobacco's that you used to like and now don't care for. When I first started smoking I thought english tobacco's were good, now that I've smoked a lot more, Virgina's a VaPer's are my preference. I currently have 2 english blends in my possession, one is open and one is not, neither of which I bought for myself. I figure it will be about 2020 before I finish the open tin at the current rate I am smoking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom