What's new

Tobacquistitions! Post Up Your Brown Leaf Goodies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, that humifridge is outstanding! :w00t:

This week's gathering:
full

• Nording pipe scored from the bay
  • GL Pease Jacknife Plug Sample (gift from B&Ber) - tried it, like it
  • Hal o' the Wind Sample (gift from B&Ber)
  • Solani 656 Sample (gift from B&Ber) - tried it, loved it
  • G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake Sample (gift from B&Ber) - tried it today, also very good
  • Dunhill Early Morning Pipe Sample (gift from B&Ber)
  • Carter & Hall
  • Peterson's Holiday Season 2011
  • Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
  • Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
  • Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

The Nording is in very good condition, but obviously needs some clean up & polishing. And recommendations for taking the oxidation off and polishing the stem and bowl using something that I might already have on hand at the house?

Last edited by a moderator:

This week's gathering:
full

• G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake Sample (gift from B&Ber) - tried it today, also very good
  • Carter & Hall

The Nording is in very good condition, but obviously needs some clean up & polishing. And recommendations for taking the oxidation off and polishing the stem and bowl using something that I might already have on hand at the house?

I've read that a Magic Eraser does wonders on an oxidized stem.

This week's gathering:
full

• Carter & Hall

Great looking pipe, that stem will be tricky with all of the contours on it. You can soak it it bleach overnight, that should remove the oxidation, but will leave it in need of sanding and polishing. I like 600 grit waterproof sandpaper, then 000 steel wool, then apply carnuba with a dremmel polishing wheel, and a final buffing with a flannel buff on my bench grinder. I've also had good luck with Barkeepers Friend, just dab a wet cloth in the powder and get to scrubbing. Do not attempt to clean the tennon, the part that actually fits inside the briar, you could cause it to fit too loose and have another project to deal with. Check the stickies, James has a good one on refurbing some old pipes. There's also a bunch of YouTube videos showing various techniques, they all work to some degree. Good luck!

Those have a military style tapered bit so fitting isn't the problem it would be on a standard tenon, but care does need to be taken so that it does not get out of round. I like using the loose rag wheel on a dremmel to do the final wax and polish on those heavily contoured stems, but be warned. You need a variable speed model on its lowest setting and the loose rag wheel. The solid felt bobs will cut into your stem and to high a speed will melt warp it. Low speed and very light pressure is the key with that tool. Some jute or thick twine/string will help get whatever polishing compound you use into those deep turnings.

I might start with oooo steel wool, followed by a polishing paste like the barkeepers friend or rubbing compound, followed by the magic eraser if I wanted to do all household items and avoid bleaching.

Last edited:
Spent some time on this tonight & got pretty good results. The oxidation is obvious in the pics above, but I took some "before" pics as well.

Hit it with a magic eraser, then a barkeepers friend paste, followed by 0000 steel wool, and finally a rag wheel and polishing compound. It could still use a bit of work, as the oxidation is still lightly visible in the intricacies of the stem. It was truly a PIA to try to get in there, as anticipated by JMAllen above.

I'm pretty happy with it, but not quite satisfied. It still needs some more work, but it looks a LOT better than it did before. Plus, now that the stem looks better, it really shows how badly the briar needs polished up. I guess I need to find some carnuba now?

2011-11-07_00003.jpg

2011-11-07_00004.jpg

2011-11-07_00009.jpg

2011-11-07_00010.jpg

Looking really good, did you try the twine to get in the grooves as James suggested? I thought that was a clever idea, though you'd have to be careful how hard you apply pressure. I've used twine to cut through PVC pipe before. Those big Nordings are nice smokers, great for aromatics on chilly mornings with hot coffee. You can get carnuba from Pimos pipe craft, along with a bunch of other pipe crafting supplies and specialty tools, you know, in case you need another AD.;)

Last edited:
Looking really good, did you try the twine to get in the grooves as James suggested? I thought that was a clever idea, though you'd have to be careful how hard you apply pressure. I've used twine to cut through PVC pipe before. Those big Nordings are nice smokers, great for aromatics on chilly mornings with hot coffee. You can get carnuba from Pimos pipe craft, along with a bunch of other pipe crafting supplies and specialty tools, you know, in case you need another AD.;)

Absolutely true you do have to be gentle also the steel wool will twist into more of a steel yarn to help you along as well. Its looking really good keep it up.

pipe by Golden Child4, on Flickr

Got Frog and Hal O' and Union Square about a week ago. The others arrived this morning.

Took a shot on the two Dunhill's and WO Larsen.

I enjoyed the Larsen just now. Pretty good.

Also got some Capt. Black White, which was surprisingly pleasant.

Absolutely true you do have to be gentle also the steel wool will twist into more of a steel yarn to help you along as well. Its looking really good keep it up.

Didn't see that suggestion until after I was already done working on it, but I am going to hit it again one more time & I think it will look like new again. I'll post up some more pics when I am finished with it. Thanks for the help, guys!!

Well I made a trip to the Tobacconist but he was out of my bundles. So I grabbed a couple CAO La Traviata Toros and a Couple RyJ Habana Reserve Toros.

Edit-Oh, and an extra Ronson Jetlite!

Jay

Last edited:
Went to the Chicago Merz "Great Shave" event last night, and stayed downtown to do some shopping with the wife today. Iwan Ries was literally right around the corner from the hotel, so we stopped in and picked up a few goodies, including a tin of BCF and one of their "house branded" pipes, a cheapie billiard. This is actually my first "new" pipe. I'll post a pic later. Saving up for one single November Tobacquisitions shot to fully detail the ludicrous depth to which I've jumped into this new little hobby.:001_unsur

The wife also insisted I leave the shop while the salesdude helped her pick out a Christmas gift from the Peterson drawer for me as well. :w00t: (So I got that goin' for me... which is nice.)

Oh, and I scored a pipe rack off the bay for the princely sum of $5.99.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom