What's new

Tobacquisitions for February 2014

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I had "1986 Dunhill" on a saved Ebay search for a few months now. Finally found one for what I was willing to pay (ended up being 200 shipped). It's in really really good condition. Looks like the bowl was only packed half way each time it was smoked (which may have only been a couple of times)
Hell, that would be a high school graduation year pipe for me, you whipper snapper :biggrin:

A new Wessex Classic shape 604 (Cherrywood) arrived today from Iwan Ries, these are made by Chacom for Wessex, this series has hand cut cumberland stems with delrin tenons, the blast isn't spectacular and I have yet to smoke it but seems like a lot of pipe for just over $70...
$P1100535.jpg

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Derrick, I'd love to hear your impression about the Old Boy. Since you didn't pay full price for it and you typically don't hold any punches. Just a little hard for me to see why spending that much on a lighter is justified.

I had been given the opportunity to evaluate one for a few weeks a couple years ago. Since then I've wanted one, it just wasn't a priority, until I came across this one and it was too good to pass up. Whether it is worth the price is subjective to each person. What I can tell you is that they are a quality built tool, and you can feel that when you hold it. It's hefty compared to it's overall size. Since this one was used, there are marks in the matte finish which I assume is just from normal wear and tear, so if that is something that would bother you, you should probably spring for one of the metal finished tanks. When properly adjusted the flame is near perfect. Meaning long enough to reach down into the bottom of a bowl and very thin. The risk of burning the rim goes way down since the flame is so thin, and can actually shoot straight down instead of the J shape of other angled lighters. The built in tamper's pick end can be used to tighten/unscrew the 3 screws on the lighter (flint tube, fill valve cover, flame adjustment). One slightly annoying thing is that the adjustment screw is hyper sensitive. It only takes a fraction of a turn to go from a tiny flame into a flame thrower.
Another odd characteristic is that the lighter is designed for a left handed person. To operate the wheel with your right thumb the flame needs to be pointed to the outside and then once it's lit rotated to the left. If your left handed it's perfect.

You can buy a whole lot of matches for the price of this lighter, but the quality, and convenience factor make up for it. For the price of a lower grade Peterson you can have a lighter that could be one of the two pipe lighters you would ever need. The other being a Zippo since the Old Boy is not windproof.

I would like the chance to try a Xikar Pipeline. At half the price it could be an attractive option, but without the attention to the details it would be just another pipe lighter. I do have a Vertigo Briar pipe lighter, and it's not even in the same league as the old boy, it's one step above a Bic.

Wow thanks for that Derrick!

I like a nice hefty, well built lighter too. It seems that most people who have this comment on its quality. I mostly use my Zippo but it would be nice to have one of these, especially the way you describe the flame and how it's not conducive to burning the rim. I love matches but they tend to get a little wild sometime. The "left handed" design sounds strange but if I can buy this lighter and never worry about it, I may take the plunge (about 80).

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to write that post :)

You're so going to buy one. :)

Go on, join us. Join us on the dark side!

(The review by the way is exactly right in every aspect according to my couple of months of ownership)

Now click that but button! ;-)

You're so going to buy one. :)

Go on, join us. Join us on the dark side!

(The review by the way is exactly right in every aspect according to my couple of months of ownership)

Now click that but button! ;-)

It seemed like half of the sub forum bought one right around X-Mas time.

Wow thanks for that Derrick!

I like a nice hefty, well built lighter too. It seems that most people who have this comment on its quality. I mostly use my Zippo but it would be nice to have one of these, especially the way you describe the flame and how it's not conducive to burning the rim. I love matches but they tend to get a little wild sometime. The "left handed" design sounds strange but if I can buy this lighter and never worry about it, I may take the plunge (about 80).

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to write that post :)

I hadn't thought about the left handed design until Derrick mentioned it. Now that I think about it, he's right, but opening the cap, flicking the wheel, then rotation in my right hand is so natural, it's not an issue.

I've yet to see someone say "I wish I had never spent the money on this thing". It seems like a lot to pay for a lighter, but no one seems to regret it after they do.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I picked up a few things recently and will post more when I have pics. For now, here are two of my recent acquisitions.

A lovely colored CAO meer that's been gent used and is in great shape. This is a large pipe (similar in size to an ODB size Dunhill) and I've been wanting a large Turkish meer for a while. Great smoker.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391708460.636225.jpg

And 5 tins of Tordenskjold Virginia Slices from 2005.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391708508.066953.jpg

I grabbed a couple things off of CigarBid that just came in.

I got a cigar jar, mainly because I was looking at my one humidor that looked nearly empty with 9 Spectre cigars, and my other humidor overflowing with cigars. I kinda realized it was stupid to have an entire box dedicated to a handful of cigars.

Since I was getting charged for shipping anyway, I thought that I might as well pick up an AJ Fernandez sampler. It includes a 5 Vegas Triple A (5 x 56), a Diesel Unholy Cocktail torpedo (5 x 56), a La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuente Toro (6.5 x 50), a Man O' War Ruination Robusto #1 (5.5 x 54), and a Man O' War Virtue Toro (6 x 50).

I should now probably stay as far away from Cigar Bid as possible. Otherwise, I'll quickly need a coolador or wineador.

I just got two forever stems. Churchwarden and 3.5 inch fish tail. They are much much nicer than the MM cheapie plastic versions.

I also got a Spanish Camoy's Cherrywood Poker. It has a script A on the stem and goes good with my name :) I'll post pics later.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
More catch up on my acquisitions.

First up is a birth year Dunhill She'll 4103. It looks barely smoked.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391746896.874936.jpg

Next are a pair of rusticated African meer billiards.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391746935.909405.jpg

Top Bottom