What's new

Tobacquisitions for February 2014

My International Pipe Smokers Day acquisitions arrived tonight. A Peterson Dublin 999 and a Dunhill pipe and tobacco pouch. This is my second 999. I prefer a straight stem mostly, but the 999 hangs so well and feels great in the hand. I could not pass up this lovely rendition.

My eye has been on the pouch for months now and I finally ordered one. The leather is soft and I like the color. Best part is its made in Germany, not China or somewhere like that.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 103
I'm weak!

I have my P&C bundle arriving on saturday, but I didn't want to wait so I'm rolling deep!

$t8qugFu.jpg

Bought a $2.00 chinese cob and some Sir Walter Raleigh. Goodness gracious, what a delicious smoke! Now I can't wait to get a proper pipe. Since I really enjoyed the Raleigh, does that mean I might be a burley man? Time to check the burley blend thread.

Last edited:
I'm weak!

I have my P&C bundle arriving on saturday, but I didn't want to wait so I'm rolling deep!

Bought a $2.00 chinese cob and some Sir Walter Raleigh. Goodness gracious, what a delicious smoke! Now I can't wait to get a proper pipe. Since I really enjoyed the Raleigh, does that mean I might be a burley man? Time to check the burley blend thread.

Ain't nothing wrong with a cob brother. I love my cobs. I have only had MMs up until now but I ordered an Old Dominion (new cob company) on IPSD.

Burley is great too. Don't know why they get such a bad rep, as others have said The Rodney Dangerfields of pipe tobacco. Solani Aged Burley flake and GL Pease Barbary coast for teh best burley experience.

Ain't nothing wrong with a cob brother. I love my cobs. I have only had MMs up until now but I ordered an Old Dominion (new cob company) on IPSD.

Burley is great too. Don't know why they get such a bad rep, as others have said The Rodney Dangerfields of pipe tobacco. Solani Aged Burley flake and GL Pease Barbary coast for teh best burley experience.

I liked the cob! I just didn't like that it was a $2 ***. I plan on getting a MM as now I want to try everything.

Thank you for the burley suggestions! I added the Solani, but I'll add Barbary coast to the list as well.

I liked the cob! I just didn't like that it was a $2 ***. I plan on getting a MM as now I want to try everything.

Thank you for the burley suggestions! I added the Solani, but I'll add Barbary coast to the list as well.

If you're looking for cobs, aristocob.com has some of the best selection for some very good prices. Scott, the owner is a pleasure to deal with too! He makes a pipe mud that can be bought for a dollar and will level off the bottom for about 3 pipes to make them smoke a little better.

The Solani is such a nice and pure burley, I love it. Solani is a little expensive but everything I've tried from them has been of the best quality. The Barbary Coast isn't a pure burley but it is a nice all day smoke. It's a cube cut so it's very easy to pack.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Great looking pipe! What's the chamber depth? The picture is hard to tell, looks like a nice deep bowl in a small pipe. Been craving a Cumberland stem, unfortunately they all have had a white spot on them! Out of my price range.

Thanks! It is a generous bowl for a lovat. It's 1 5/8 inches deep.

My International Pipe Smokers Day acquisitions arrived tonight. A Peterson Dublin 999 and a Dunhill pipe and tobacco pouch. This is my second 999. I prefer a straight stem mostly, but the 999 hangs so well and feels great in the hand. I could not pass up this lovely rendition.

My eye has been on the pouch for months now and I finally ordered one. The leather is soft and I like the color. Best part is its made in Germany, not China or somewhere like that.

Very nice Peterson! I'm finding that the 999 is becoming one of my favorite Peterson shapes. Like you said, they hang wonderfully from the jaw and feel great in the hand. I have a feeling it may end up being the first shape that I buy a second of. Congrats!

I'm weak!

I like SWR better than other all-burley or burley-heavy tobaccos I've tried. It could mean you're a burley man but it's no guarantee.

The Chinese cob is a decent pipe, enjoy it.

Thank you for the aristocob.com suggestion! I just got done climbing out of that rabbit hole. If Scott is the guy in the videos, then yeah, I can see how easy he'd be to deal with. I escaped with having spent less than $30 there so I feel it's a success. I appreciate the tip on mudding, too.... had no idea that was a thing. Perhaps my little CCob can be saved with some of that (I can see a pinhole of light at the base of the bowl.

If you're looking for cobs, aristocob.com has some of the best selection for some very good prices. Scott, the owner is a pleasure to deal with too! He makes a pipe mud that can be bought for a dollar and will level off the bottom for about 3 pipes to make them smoke a little better.

The Solani is such a nice and pure burley, I love it. Solani is a little expensive but everything I've tried from them has been of the best quality. The Barbary Coast isn't a pure burley but it is a nice all day smoke. It's a cube cut so it's very easy to pack.

Thank you for the aristocob.com suggestion! I just got done climbing out of that rabbit hole. If Scott is the guy in the videos, then yeah, I can see how easy he'd be to deal with. I escaped with having spent less than $30 there so I feel it's a success. I appreciate the tip on mudding, too.... had no idea that was a thing. Perhaps my little CCob can be saved with some of that (I can see a pinhole of light at the base of the bowl.

Pipe mud is an option, and you can make it yourself with cigar (or even pipe) ash and water.

Another option is a hardwood plug.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Corncob_primer#Modifying_Your_Cobs

Nice goodies this month! My buy was more mundane:

Five O'Clock Shadow is a new blend from C&D - VaPer with Kentucky. To say that I love it would be a major understatement - it's gooooood. The other two are blends I've been wanting to try for a while.

All of this (above) burley talk has me craving some ABF.

Top Bottom