What's new

Toad in the Hole

This is what I think of when I hear people talking about toad in the hole too
Yes, this is the Toad in the Hole we make every Sunday. Hole in the middle of bread or bread lightly toasted, drop in an egg (either break the yoke or leave intact) and fry until cooked. Just a bit of fun really. Kids like it because its a novelty.

A few years ago I would have agreed with you but I now prefer banana ketchup. To be honest it tastes a lot like tomato ketchup but the anghang version is a little spicy.

View attachment 1781772
My favourite sauce of all is HP sauce but that is never referred to as ketchup but instead as 'brown sauce'. Other brown sauces are available but this is the best.

View attachment 1781773
Banana ketchup has an interesting history. The inventor Maria Orosa is a WW2 war hero. Studied in the US and brought 4-H to the Philippines to teach nutrition and food preservation To women. An amazing person with an amazing story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Mushroom ketchup has been around for a least a couple hundred years.
I cannot recall the spelling, but I under stand some Chinese condiment called kao cheop had fermented fish and was not only a forerunner of ketchup but the source for its name. Of course I may have just imagined that.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I cannot recall the spelling, but I under stand some Chinese condiment called kao cheop had fermented fish and was not only a forerunner of ketchup but the source for its name. Of course I may have just imagined that.

From what I understand, there is some debate of the origin of the name, but that is certainly one of the theories.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Then you should check out the Townsend’s social media pages. The guy that does it deals in late 18th century and early 19th century food trends and cooking techniques. He makes a lot of recipes from that era and one of them is a mushroom ketchup

I find myself watching Townsend's YouTube channel quite often, along with Tasting History with Max Miller.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Then you should check out the Townsend’s social media pages. The guy that does it deals in late 18th century and early 19th century food trends and cooking techniques. He makes a lot of recipes from that era and one of them is a mushroom ketchup
I just checked it out and subscribed. Fun and interesting stuff.
I find myself watching Townsend's YouTube channel quite often, along with Tasting History with Max Miller.
I'll check out "Tasting History" for sure.

Top Bottom