What's new

Toad in the Hole

After listening to Paul H mention Yorkshire Pudding over and over I looked it up. One of the simpler related dishes I found was Toad in the Hole.

Today I tried it.

proxy.php

It was surprisingly good. I'm from the US and had never had Yorkshire Pudding before. All very new and interesting.

One of my favourites and Yorkshire puddings are amazing. I like them sopping up gravy, with a bite of mash, and a bit of roast beef! Toad in the Hole needs to go on my list as I haven't made one in a while.

I might try a roast beef in the near future after I'm sure I can make the pudding. I'm not the biggest roast fan, but that may be more a factor of the kinds of roasts I've had (like from a crockpot).

I just had to read this after seeing the title. Surprisingly, I've had something very similar, but didn't know it by this name. My mother made it when I was a child. Good meal.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Bumped from 7+ years ago. I've been reading the "Beans on Toast" thread from time to time. I like beans. I like toast. I hadn't put the two together until recently. It works out just fine, as one would imagine. I did not know there would be so many opinions on which beans to use.

After reading up on the controversies it is now clear as mud. I thought I'd peek inside a different rabbit hole to try and divine what's happening with "Toad in the Hole". Turns out this silly man from the USA was/is clueless. I thought one simply cooked an egg in the middle of a slice of bread. HA!!! Turns out that's not Toad in the Hole at all. Sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter with onion gravy?!?!? YUM!

OK. I'm going to make this. But Mrs. Chef cannot be around. She would not approve based on the caloric value of the dish.

What is an egg cooked in a hole in some bread called? American Wannabe Toad in the Hole? So many dishes, so little time. Bon Appétit!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
"Toad in a hole" is.my house, is completely different. Maybe it's a Canada thing.

View attachment 1781648
I know right! That's Toad in the Hole south of your border as well. It goes right alongside playing hookie and watching "The Price is Right" here in 'Merica. BUT, I think we might be doing it "wrong".

Apparently this;

1000001020.jpg

is "Toad in the Hole" to our brethren on the other side of the Pond.

Granted, they call sausages "bangers", get pissed instead of drunk and ask for tomato ketchup. What other kind of ketchup is there? Apologies, I digress. As far as this dish is concerned, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with an egg cooked in the middle of toast, I think they're doing this better.

The UK version was one of the very few dishes my mother could actually cook. Sadly pork bangers are off the menu these days at Chez Pricey

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
What other kind of ketchup is there?
A few years ago I would have agreed with you but I now prefer banana ketchup. To be honest it tastes a lot like tomato ketchup but the anghang version is a little spicy.

1705570978502.png

My favourite sauce of all is HP sauce but that is never referred to as ketchup but instead as 'brown sauce'. Other brown sauces are available but this is the best.

1705571274712.png

My mum used to make Toad in the Hole with sausages and lambs kidneys. Now we just use lightly seasoned Old English sausages from a nearby butcher. They’re the nearest thing I’ve found to the bangers of old.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
A few years ago I would have agreed with you but I now prefer banana ketchup. To be honest it tastes a lot like tomato ketchup but the anghang version is a little spicy.

View attachment 1781772
My favourite sauce of all is HP sauce but that is never referred to as ketchup but instead as 'brown sauce'. Other brown sauces are available but this is the best.

View attachment 1781773
Banana ketchup. Now you're just pulling my leg.

I jest. If given the opportunity I'll check it out.

Top Bottom