What's new

To those who have tried Art of Shaving. Is there anything better?

I have tried a large list of creams and soaps over the last 2 years and I find (art of shaving) cream to be the best. I love the easy-to-work with consistency and most importantly slick feeling when shaving.

I was just wondering, has anyone found anything "better" than art of shaving in the slickness department? Please only respond if you have tried art of shaving before.

I do use the art of shaving preshave oil as well. Before that it was poraso preshave but i like the way the oil makes my face feel afterward more.

Some of English ones are just as good. I like Truefit and Hill as well as the simpsons(got it for $5 when I bought a brush direct from Simpsons). ToBS can be just as good but, you have to add water to the container and make it more creamy.

I hadn’t heard of ‘Art Of Shaving’ for years but I just found their website so it appears they are still going. Wow, they’re selling GilletteLabs cartridge razors for $150 with 2 (two) cartridges included. It has a charger and it heats the cartridges to give “a hot towel feel, like a barbershop shave”. There’s a $200 version with an additional razor stand.

Glad to hear their shaving cream is good.

AOS creams are great; not sure who made them.
Just as good as, or better than, the best Brit creams, IMHO.

aos creams.jpg

I have tried a large list of creams and soaps over the last 2 years and I find (art of shaving) cream to be the best. I love the easy-to-work with consistency and most importantly slick feeling when shaving.

I was just wondering, has anyone found anything "better" than art of shaving in the slickness department? Please only respond if you have tried art of shaving before.

I do use the art of shaving preshave oil as well. Before that it was poraso preshave but i like the way the oil makes my face feel afterward more.

Better is interesting term, that I do not get?

What are you like, what are your dislikes?

Last what improvement in a new super soap would you seek?

I've used some AOS creams. I think they're fine, but not better than many others like TOBS, T&H, Trumpers, and Kiss My Face. I think AOS is priced higher than all of those, so AOS isn't a value. If you prefer AOS, then you should continue using them.

I enjoy Ethos (tallow creme) and Truefitt & Hill - I know they are not inexpensive options but both treat me well.

Side note - the old AOS Sandalwood was a great scent. I miss it.

Their unscented cream and aftershave are amongst the best. And I have tried many. I also previously used their pre-shave oil for many years, but now I just make my own that is a mimic of the AoS oil. I found someone post on here the recipe and it works great.

AOS sandalwood used to be my favorite scent in shaving. The cream is very good but for me it was overpriced compared to some of the British creams. When AOS closed their stores, I never sought them out online.

I hadn’t heard of ‘Art Of Shaving’ for years but I just found their website so it appears they are still going. Wow, they’re selling GilletteLabs cartridge razors for $150 with 2 (two) cartridges included. It has a charger and it heats the cartridges to give “a hot towel feel, like a barbershop shave”. There’s a $200 version with an additional razor stand.

Glad to hear their shaving cream is good.

Yeah, and the carts are only $6.25 each. :oops:

AOS sandalwood used to be my favorite scent in shaving. The cream is very good but for me it was overpriced compared to some of the British creams. When AOS closed their stores, I never sought them out online.
Used to my favorite before they were acquired by P&G and they changed the formula adding parabens.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
D. R. Harris, Truefitt and Hill are as good or better, and of course Santa Maria Novella and Acqua di Parma are better, but if you think AoS is overpriced, don’t even look at those last two, even though either will last close to a year.

I have tried a large list of creams and soaps over the last 2 years and I find (art of shaving) cream to be the best.

The best?

I think not, but I admit that AOS has a knack for finding producers of quality shaving soaps, creams and balms, have them produce shaving soaps and creams for AOS that were then sold with a hefty mark-up in AOS stores or now increasingly in drugstores.
All that pretty retail space in malls they once had needed to be paid for.
They have since changed tack and sell now principally online or through drugstores (e.g. Shoppers Drug Mart chain in Canada).

AOS products are good but overpriced.

I rather buy products that are as good (or maybe even netter), but offer better value for money.

B.

Last edited:
The best?
I think not, but I admit that AOS has a knack for finding producers of quality shaving soaps or creams, have them produce shaving soaps and creams for AOS that are then sold with a hefty mark-up in AOS stores, because all that pretty retail space in malls needs to be paid for.

AOS products are good but overpriced.

I rather by products that are as good (or maybe even netter), but offer better value for money.

B.
Does AOS still have stores? The two in my area closed during the pandemic.

Top Bottom