What's new

To Saponificio Varesino: "Your Majesty, please accept my apologies"

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
On a side note, all SV soaps are now coming with a new improved metal tin that maintains the exact same design, but is more robust and has a screw top lid. The Italian company has decided to satisfy the customers' request for a more sturdy tin. It's great to find a world renowned brand that listens to its loyal clients. :thumbup1:

On a side note, all SV soaps are now coming with a new improved metal tin that maintains the exact same design, but is more robust and has a screw top lid. The Italian company has decided to satisfy the customers' request for a more sturdy tin. It's great to find a world renowned brand that listens to its loyal clients. :thumbup1:
Yes, it's a great thing to change to the screw cap 👌

I love the screw cap design.

I would like to confess to having ordered a puck of Argania already from gifts&care… the scent sounds like it should be great too.
Will be giving it a go as soon as it arrives
Looking forward to reading your initial impressions

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, aka "Baby Foam", is a synthetic anionic surfactant and foaming agent often used in shampoo bars and bath bombs. This may be one of the ingredients that makes people feel "the lather explodes off the brush".

Coco Glucoside is a non-ionic surfactant often seen in shampoos.

Glyceryl Oleate is a synthetic moisturizer and skin conditioner.

I greatly enjoy Saponificio Varesino products, but these statements are troubling.

@Atlantic59

I typically put water on top of the puck, soak badger brush, shower. Then squeeze the brush lightly, give it a gentle shake, set aside. Pour the majority of the bloom water in my hands, rub on face, pour remaining small amount of bloom water into center of badger brush. You want just enough so it doesn’t spill out. Then load the brush, move to face, and build lather. I load heavy. Works a charm. On a separate note, anyone else prefer the old tins (press on) to the screw on ones?

Why are they troubling? Just curious.

It’s the idea that chemical surfactants/foaming agents are possibly the reason why the soap lathers so well that I find troubling. I’m no chemist to be sure, but if the addition of such ingredients (as described above) were responsible for SV’s abundant lathering properties, that would bother me.

It’s the idea that chemical surfactants/foaming agents are possibly the reason why the soap lathers so well that I find troubling. I’m no chemist to be sure, but if the addition of such ingredients (as described above) were responsible for SV’s abundant lathering properties, that would bother me.
I'm not a chemist either so take what I say with a grain of salt, but from a quick search both on search engines and on SV's site you can find that the first two ingredients derive from coconuts and the third one from natural fats and oils like pecan, olive, peanut... And the reason they use them.

Sodium cocoyl isethionate is derived from coconut oil. It is primarily used in soaps, cleansers, shampoos, and cleansing products due to its surfactant abilities.

Coco Glucoside is primarily a surfactant that reduces the tension in the formulations and improves the overall experience. Coco-Glucoside is derived from coconuts. It is made by chemically reacting the non-drying fatty alcohol derivative from coconut oil and sugar glucose.

Glyceryl Oleate, also called, Glyceryl Monooleate, is obtained from naturally occurring oils and fats. Glyceryl Oleate helps to form emulsions by reducing the surface tension of the substances to be emulsified. It also functions as a skin conditioning agent – emollient.

Now I'm not completely against synthetic components, if used with a reason, but these are considered natural ingredients and have a reason to be used. If you want your bread to rise you use a chemical reaction with chemicals that can be either natural occurring like yeast or synthetic like baking soda. If you want your soap to foam and not be like Marseille soap that doesn't really foam, you add ingredients in order to make it foam, in this case they use a mainly coconut derived base because it's foamier.

You'll find most of the vegan soap use coconut oil and potassium stearate (stearic acid + potassium) for these same reasons, but I fail to see how that would be problematic, a soap won't foam if you don't use foaming agents and won't be slick without surfactants.

These are the ingredients present in MdC, which sports a very short list: Stearic Acid, Aqua, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Potassium Hydroxyde, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Parfum

On the other side you'll see, among the others:
Potassium Stearate: potash salt from stearic acid
Stearic Acid: stearic acid (gives the skin a creamy touch)
Glycerin: glycerine (lubricant, moisturizer, emollient)
Sodium Cocoate: sodium salt from coconut oil
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate: sodium salt from coconut fatty acids (gently cleanses giving softness to the skin)
Coco Glucoside: derived from coconut oil
Sucrose Cocoate: mixture of sucrose esters and ester fatty acids from coconut oil (gives the skin a soft and smooth effect)

In tallow soap you'll find, among others "Potassium tallowate", which is a surfactant derived from tallow.

Surfactants and foaming compounds are necessary and not problematic per se, in a shaving soap, what could be problematic is their provenience, like non ethically sourced oils or synthetics with side effects, but SV soap is advertised as 100% vegetable with only food grade vegetable oils and the above are all plant based ingredients.

And of course, being a soap it's only natural that it shares some ingredients with other soaps like shampoos or bath bombs.

Sometimes long lists of ingredients can be used to try to impress, sometimes they can be scary, that's why it's important to try and understand what they actually mean.

I'm not a chemist either so take what I say with a grain of salt, but from a quick search both on search engines and on SV's site you can find that the first two ingredients derive from coconuts and the third one from natural fats and oils like pecan, olive, peanut... And the reason they use them.

Sodium cocoyl isethionate is derived from coconut oil. It is primarily used in soaps, cleansers, shampoos, and cleansing products due to its surfactant abilities.

Coco Glucoside is primarily a surfactant that reduces the tension in the formulations and improves the overall experience. Coco-Glucoside is derived from coconuts. It is made by chemically reacting the non-drying fatty alcohol derivative from coconut oil and sugar glucose.

Glyceryl Oleate, also called, Glyceryl Monooleate, is obtained from naturally occurring oils and fats. Glyceryl Oleate helps to form emulsions by reducing the surface tension of the substances to be emulsified. It also functions as a skin conditioning agent – emollient.

Now I'm not completely against synthetic components, if used with a reason, but these are considered natural ingredients and have a reason to be used. If you want your bread to rise you use a chemical reaction with chemicals that can be either natural occurring like yeast or synthetic like baking soda. If you want your soap to foam and not be like Marseille soap that doesn't really foam, you add ingredients in order to make it foam, in this case they use a mainly coconut derived base because it's foamier.

You'll find most of the vegan soap use coconut oil and potassium stearate (stearic acid + potassium) for these same reasons, but I fail to see how that would be problematic, a soap won't foam if you don't use foaming agents and won't be slick without surfactants.

These are the ingredients present in MdC, which sports a very short list: Stearic Acid, Aqua, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Potassium Hydroxyde, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Parfum

On the other side you'll see, among the others:
Potassium Stearate: potash salt from stearic acid
Stearic Acid: stearic acid (gives the skin a creamy touch)
Glycerin: glycerine (lubricant, moisturizer, emollient)
Sodium Cocoate: sodium salt from coconut oil
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate: sodium salt from coconut fatty acids (gently cleanses giving softness to the skin)
Coco Glucoside: derived from coconut oil
Sucrose Cocoate: mixture of sucrose esters and ester fatty acids from coconut oil (gives the skin a soft and smooth effect)

In tallow soap you'll find, among others "Potassium tallowate", which is a surfactant derived from tallow.

Surfactants and foaming compounds are necessary and not problematic per se, in a shaving soap, what could be problematic is their provenience, like non ethically sourced oils or synthetics with side effects, but SV soap is advertised as 100% vegetable with only food grade vegetable oils and the above are all plant based ingredients.

And of course, being a soap it's only natural that it shares some ingredients with other soaps like shampoos or bath bombs.

Sometimes long lists of ingredients can be used to try to impress, sometimes they can be scary, that's why it's important to try and understand what they actually mean.

Concedo!

Lather is shaving eye candy and nothing more.

Hello,

I would like to try this brand but reading some reviews it seems these soaps tend te be citrusy/cologne. Well I do not like the smell of citrus and I do not like cologne. Are there any soap I could enjoy?

Thank you.

Top Bottom