What's new

To Saponificio Varesino: "Your Majesty, please accept my apologies"

Well due to this thread, long time of thinking and convincing myself the typical ways of "Yea this will last a long time you won't waste it" even though in my mind I really do have too much, I took the plunge, I bought Desert Veviter, Manna di Sicilia, I couldn't stop there I also got the Desert Veviter Aftershave (as I was convincing myself, its something different to your aftershaves that you do not have, which is true) plus because of the cool looking bottle I got the 70th anniversary aftershave. So thank you for helping me out here, no enablers here at all. 🤣

By the way, I did read all of this thread, really fought hard to not buy anything, for days actually then the gears in my head kept going and yes, here I am. No enablers, this site does not encourage that at all. :nono: :yesnod:

I think I got enough shaving supplies. But you know, I could always have more. Besides, I have a goal to reach 1000 blades by the time the year is over. So I'm working on that.

Shave Soaps

proxy.php

Aftershaves & Menthol

proxy.php

Razor Blades

proxy.php

I got 250 more Wizamets under the sink. If I buy another 250, I'll already have achieved my goal lol.

One thing I've learned since going down the rabbit hole. Even if you manage to end the RAD as I have, the AD for software continues.

It has been said by @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker you can stop RAD (or in my case substantially slow it down to just wait for a few more razors) but other AD's will take over. The soap, blades and aftershave one is easy, "I spend only a bit here, a bit there, no big deal, I won't waste it, it can last years" all true then something else catches your eye and here I am. Here I am. Its been 1 year of wet shaving now. 🎉

🤷‍♂️

Thanks for listening. Btw I know this is really good stuff so I am looking forward to it as its different to what I have.

Last edited:
Thanks for listening. Btw I know this is really good stuff so I am looking forward to it as its different to what I have.

Wait… you didn’t get the Morado also? Good grief…that stuff is beyond fabulous.

I mean, I was all set to stick to PdeP 63 for future sticks (mixed with Mysol shave cream ) but now I’m planning ahead to order more Morado for next visit to Uk or for my sister to bring over for me (and fill up my stock of 63)

Wait… you didn’t get the Morado also? Good grief…that stuff is beyond fabulous.

I mean, I was all set to stick to PdeP 63 for future sticks (mixed with Mysol shave cream ) but now I’m planning ahead to order more Morado for next visit to Uk or for my sister to bring over for me (and fill up my stock of 63)

Rofl 🤣 no I didn't as I figured I can always get that later if I like what I have and use some of what I consider alot stuff currently in stock. There is always time plus imho I really have more than enough stuff so I can put that on my list of things to get later like for the holidays.

If I currently didn't already have so much stuff I'd would get it sooner if not with this order but again I am trying this thing called "restraint" and yea it's not working rofl 🤣.

Not to double post but I seriously went thru the last full page of thread for a minute thinking about this Morado but alas I said "Its ok I can wait" I want some other stuff I have earmarked with others on the way so for once, I say "No its ok I can wait". I was tempted for a minute to try and add to my order but I will wait its why posted. :)

Some questions that came to my mind:

1 - it's the first time using SV. usually loads the other soaps 1 minute. do I keep the same time with SV?

2 - Is it necessary to leave a little warm water on top to soften it before loading?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!

1 - it's the first time using SV. usually loads the other soaps 1 minute. do I keep the same time with SV?

2 - Is it necessary to leave a little warm water on top to soften it before loading?

1 - a minute seems long, but may be fine. You’ll figure it out.

2 - No. Blooming the soap might reduce loading time, but it really doesn’t make much difference with SV.

I count to 20 while I swirl, and end up with enough lather to shave my face, dome, and take a shower
Bloom is not needed

I dont load a minute more like under 30 seconds I think ? But just kinda go by how it feels looks
I do not bloom either
tend to do a damp only less water brush and then bring the water in to the bowl as I do not like it if the brush has to much water and it makes the loading a touch more messy :) but I am kinda a neat freak that way and I just found what worked for me in the end

Up until now my judgement on Saponificio Varesino was just tepid, not warm. Up until now my lathers with SV were just good, not great. Up until now I was just wrong. And this because my lathering technique with this exceptional soap was not correct. Yes, you heard it right: so far my lathering method was a mistake. The Italian Master Barbers' Technique, here improperly known as "Marco (My) Method", with its wet brush approach, simply downgrades the unique qualities of this exceptional soap, not allowing it to fully deliver its true potential.
A few days ago, after many just good results, I wanted to make another attempt. However, in this occasion I tried something new and tested the "Foolproof Lather Method" recently taught us by my dear friend John @JCinPA . BOOM! What an incredible improvement! I am rarely amazed, but this time I was completely impressed! With the FLM the lather gets the thickness of La Toja, has the slickness of Cella and ensures the post shave feel of Mitchell's Wool Fat. The reason? Well, it's quite simple: Saponificio Varesino does require only little water, and John's technique is exactly based on a lightly damp brush (still combined with a heavy loading process).
My final opinion on SV has enormously changed and in the most positive way possible.
It's superb all around, it's superior to anything else, it's in a class of its own.
Saponificio Varesino, please accept my apologies. You are the King of Soaps and the Soap of Kings.
It took considerable time but I had my epiphany moment earlier this week. Up until then I regarded SV as a disappointment. The scent of my Arctic Tundra is amazing but the quality of shave didn't come close to many other soaps that are less expensive. Like Marco I went back to the beginning with the "Foolproof Later Method" by @JCinPA. It became clear that my failing was lack of soap and lack of patience. I am very pleased with the result and very humbled.

Have fun shaving!
Tom

It took considerable time but I had my epiphany moment earlier this week. Up until then I regarded SV as a disappointment. The scent of my Arctic Tundra is amazing but the quality of shave didn't come close to many other soaps that are less expensive. Like Marco I went back to the beginning with the "Foolproof Later Method" by @JCinPA. It became clear that my failing was lack of soap and lack of patience. I am very pleased with the result and very humbled.

Have fun shaving!
Tom
I always recommend trying and trying again before making a judgment on a product
I'm happy for you...I love SV it's in my top 5

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I respect your ranking, but I know and have read that you don't use tallow soaps! In that case it would also be Top 1 for me together with the defunct Nuavia
I stopped using tallow about 2 years ago, but used the finest tallow soaps for 30 years. Tallow for me is simply not a magic ingredient and does not make a soap "better".
SV remains my overall #1 shaving soap, including all the tallow soaps I've used In my career.

I stopped using tallow about 2 years ago, but used the finest tallow soaps for 30 years. Tallow for me is simply not a magic ingredient and does not make a soap "better".
SV remains my overall #1 shaving soap, including all the tallow soaps I've used In my career.
I agree, tallow is not a magic ingredient... but I like to alternate
I also agree on SV
What do you think about Nuavia?

It has been more than a couple of years since I used Nuavia, and I only used it 7 times, but I recall it being top notch in all regards. My memory is not good enough to say whether it is better than SV. I can say for sure that SV is the best of all the soaps currently in my den, and better than everything else I have used in the past that I no longer have. SV is also much harder, thus lasts much longer, than Nuavia, making it substantially less expensive in use.

Have fun shaving!
Tom
Tundra Artica scent is magnificent. At first you don’t know what to make of it, I feel the beauty is in it’s complexity

Top Bottom