What's new

To restore or not to restore.that is the question

I'm well on my way to restoring a couple of rubberset and ever-ready brushes... Which seem more or less like slam dunks to restore. However, are there any specific brands or brushes that you should really shy away from restoring due to value/whatever reasons? A perfect example of this question is a butterscotch simpson #2 that I just procured, is it worth keeping original or going down the path of updating?

$image.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool brush. I could go either way with it. If you restore it, it's not really a Simpson, it's not like a Rubberset where the value is in the handle design. But then again it's probably not usable as is. I think if I had one of these and wanted it restored I would spend the money to let Simpson do it or I would just display it as is. Most likely the latter.

A couple pics for size reference of the Simpson 2 I just bought (next to a ever ready 100)
$image.jpg
Appears to have one good crack in it.
$image.jpg
Not sure how old this brush is, but I am guessing 50+ years.

I like it.
And would love to use it.
So, my route would be restore.

Reknotting seems a no regret to me.

Maybe ask simpson for advice about what metrial to use?

Or ask our own Rudy Vey what he can do?

I contacted simpson about a reknot, they have amazing customer service btw, and I think I will have them reknot the brush. Not sure whether to go with best or silvertip though. Anyone with more simpson knowledge have a preference?

My choice would be Silvertip.

To best answer the question, are you a mug lather person or a face lather person? Do you use a hard soap, a soft soap, or cream?

That's certainly a gorgeous brush. Regardless of which knot you choose, I'm eager to see the "after" pics!

Top Bottom