What's new

Tip for shaving Under the Nose/Mustache area

I thought about an injector. My father used one. But I don't know enough about injectors. Where can I find a good one and how available are blades?

You should be able to find Injector blades at most supermarkets in the US. As for Injector razors themselves, try the BST here or ebay.

I thought about an injector. My father used one. But I don't know enough about injectors. Where can I find a good one and how available are blades?

You should be able to find Injector blades at most supermarkets in the US. As for Injector razors themselves, try the BST here or ebay.

Agreed: the BST is a great place to find yourself a low-cost starter injector. They're around, just keep trolling until you find one that strikes your fancy. FYI, the older models (Types E and G, for example) tend to be a bit more aggressive than the later ones. If you'd like to know more about injectors, check out our wiki or go here (http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm) and see what's out there. The good news is that injectors are still off of most collector's radar, so prices haven't ballooned yet like DE razors. You can also troll that internet auction site whose name I forgot...:wink2:

As to blades: If you have a Lowe's Foods near you in WA, head over there. I know that every one in my area (NC) carries the Chinese-manufactured Schick blades, which come in a sturdy metal package and are quite good. There are others out there (Personna comes to mind), but they are only available via the internet.

For most of us the whiskers under the nose are very coarse and tough. I used to nick myself all the time but I found a solution a while back. This is what I do:

I shave in three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) plus touch up. On the third pass while shaving under the nose, I lightly go against the grain (at times light blade buffing) shaving the upper half of the whiskers on the mustache area. During touch up I do a normal ATG under the nose.

Again I always used to cut myself under the nose. This will work well with any DE/SE razor including very "aggressive" razor. My daily razor is a Muhle R41 (2011).

Also a general rule is to never hunker down. If at any time I feel the blade flex or pull/tug on the whiskers, I stop and decrease the pressure and resume with a very light touch.
Try diagonals or combo ATG/XTG before you buff ATG.

I acquired a Schick injector from a B&B Blade Brother. I have trouble under the nose because of my tremors. I just tried the injector and it was perfect. Thank you all for your advice.

(Shhhh! Don't tell anyone how great injectors are and how ridiculously easy it is to shave with one or EVERYbody will want one!:lol:)

Today was my first BBS on the upper lip. And I've used a similar process.

Down, Across, then UP lol. Never lift going up and just buff it upward, no sweeping motions. The other poster described it well as an up/down brushing motion without lifting.

Last edited:
For most of us the whiskers under the nose are very coarse and tough. I used to nick myself all the time but I found a solution a while back. This is what I do:

I shave in three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) plus touch up. On the third pass while shaving under the nose, I lightly go against the grain (at times light blade buffing) shaving the upper half of the whiskers on the mustache area. During touch up I do a normal ATG under the nose.

Again I always used to cut myself under the nose. This will work well with any DE/SE razor including very "aggressive" razor. My daily razor is a Muhle R41 (2011).

Also a general rule is to never hunker down. If at any time I feel the blade flex or pull/tug on the whiskers, I stop and decrease the pressure and resume with a very light touch.

One important detail I left out from my original post is "On the third pass while shaving under the nose, I lightly go against the grain (at times light blade buffing) shaving the upper half of the whiskers on the mustache area" I stretch the mustache area by making a face filling my mouth with air so the whiskers stick out.

Top Bottom