What's new

Tip for shaving Under the Nose/Mustache area

I still have my Gillette Fusion Pro which has the single blade on the back and that's what I use for directly under the nose. Otherwise its WTG, XTG and then touch up ATG. Get some weepers, but that usually happened with a carts so I guess I am just sensitive in that area.

This helped me get BBS on upper lip without a single nick. A good lather was key too. The mantic video on advance techniques shows what DE blade buffing is.

I had trouble at first getting too close on the upper lip area under the nose. I stumbled and found out on my own what is referred to as "blade buffing". This works and with practice I learned how to get a BBS clean close shave on the whole upper lip area right up to under my nose!

I push the razor head slightly into just touching the nose with a buffing brushing type motion (small sections) and the end results are great this way! WARNING!!! This took some practice and I did get nicked a few times learning what not to do!!! I always follow the steps listed at the start of this post and finish up under the nose last.

However at one point, I also thought that I couldn't get any closer and used a throw away razor just for that section for a short time before figuring this all out!

So, You can get a clean ATG shave under the nose area with practice!!! I use a EJ DE89 razor and Souplex blades at this time......still testing many other blades too!

Thanks and happy shaving to all!!!:thumbup:

Since my mustache area hair grows literally right up to the edge of my nostrils, it's really tough to get the blade in there without slicing my skin, even for targeted ultra light shaving! But I'm trying this method and am getting better and better... it's not that I'm suffering nicks any more, I'm just not able to get the uppermost hairs cut really close to the skin... This is, oddly, the only place where a cursed Fusion would be better (it has that single blade for this purpose), but I'm too stubborn to do that.

Try using your free hand to push your nose up and away from the side you are shaving (diagonally). It frees up some room and also pulls the skin taut. For the left side of your lip, push your nose up and right, and inversely push the nose up and left to do the right side.

I push my nose up & away to one side too.
I'm surprised so many people seem to have an ATG pass at all under the nose. It does sound like a recipe for disaster because the area is so sensitive. I'm lucky in that I can get BBS with a WTG/XTG (centre-outer)/XTG (outer-centre). Wouldn't contemplate ATG because of the limited space & general awkwardness of that area.

Pushing my nose up and away works well on the right side of my face-- but when I do that on the left side, my vision gets obscured and I have to reach over my left hand with my right, which makes accuracy a little difficult. I pretty much have to shave AGT for the hairs closest to my nose because the dome of the razor keeps me from seeing where I'm going when I'm shaving those hairs WTG.

It sounds like you might be a candidate for giving an injector a try--at least for around your nose. The injector's low-profile head makes getting those last few pesky hairs right near your nostrils almost ridiculously easy.:thumbup1:

I'm going to give this a try. I have a tough time under the nose, and my tremors, although minor now, make it hard to shave that area with one hand...so holding up the nose doesn't work very well. Thanks.

I have a really deep philtrum. I can stretch it and go ATG there numerous times and it's probably the least sensitive part of my face but I can still never seem to get it BBS.

It sounds like you might be a candidate for giving an injector a try--at least for around your nose. The injector's low-profile head makes getting those last few pesky hairs right near your nostrils almost ridiculously easy.:thumbup1:

Oh my, I did a thorough number under my nose with my E-type today. First time ever getting BBS in that area! :thumbup1:

I took a hole punch and cut piece out of my nose... you know that part that gets in the way. It only hurt for few minutes. The Dr thought it was a strange request but when I explained why.... well he consented.

Why stop there?! After all the famous astronomer Tycho Brahe had a removeable silver nose. Some guys just aren't ready to suffer for their good shaves nearly enough!:lol:

I thought about an injector. My father used one. But I don't know enough about injectors. Where can I find a good one and how available are blades?

Top Bottom