What's new

Tip for shaving Under the Nose/Mustache area

This area is and will always be reserved for the back 'touch up' razor on my Mühle Sophist Fusion razor. Nothing beats this for effectiveness and easy of use, I repeat NOTHING BEATS IT !!!!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My "moustache area" shaving is 3-pass: WTG, Blade-NS, Blade 45@degree with top of the head leaning towards my ear.
Works for me.

Okay I think I got it. I was confused and at first thought that you meant the top half of your lip, then the bottom half. Now I kinda hoover? the blade over the hairs cutting away some of the tips. Good method. Now my lip is no longer red and irritated.

Okay I think I got it. I was confused and at first thought that you meant the top half of your lip, then the bottom half. Now I kinda hoover? the blade over the hairs cutting away some of the tips. Good method. Now my lip is no longer red and irritated.

:thumbup1:

I already did this, so I know it works.
Going WTG, XTG. Then a combination of ATG and XTG, going ATG but not straight into them, but up and very sidewards.
Always with no pressure, but much shorter strokes then I normally do.
Instead of 1 inch strokes I'm talking fractions of inches and slowly moving forwards this way.
Still, the skin isvery thin there, so a weeper or small nick can still happen from time to time.
Thank you for sharing.

Shave using the technique where you don't lift up your blade. Leaving it on your upper lip at all times, just move it up and down like a brush. This helped me.

Hi guys. I did the mandatory search and this is what I found. I'm a bare upper lip man and I'm having trouble getting right under the nose with my Weber safety razor. I try everything, I just can't get under there. Last shave I used the top of my Gillette Fusion that I don't use any more. Are there any answers besides getting a straight razor?

Hi guys. I did the mandatory search and this is what I found. I'm a bare upper lip man and I'm having trouble getting right under the nose with my Weber safety razor. I try everything, I just can't get under there. Last shave I used the top of my Gillette Fusion that I don't use any more. Are there any answers besides getting a straight razor?

Did you try the method described in post #1?

As far as I can tell. I don't know all the acronyms but I've tried every angle and direction I could.

The correct sequence described in post # 1 is crucial.

WTG: With the grain of the growth of whiskers.
XTG: Across the grain
ATG: Against the grain

Last edited:
Generally there is room in the head of the razor to push the blade closer to one side. This usually gives you more space to run the razor head perpdicular(sp) to the upper lip. You will find that this allows you to get just a little bit closer with out scaping the side of the exposed blade against your nose.

I only do WTG, and if I can take it, XTG. I can't do ATG really.

I agree with it being minimized, I find that either you can get it down to really what I think my cartridges got it down to, or when I go XTG it's pretty damn good.

The XTG can get some of those hard to spot places since you're going sideways, it's worked pretty well for me, just working on the pressure, usually I at least irritate it if I try for a BBS feel.

So does anyone have a straight razor just for tough areas like this or would that mean buying the strap and everything?

So does anyone have a straight razor just for tough areas like this or would that mean buying the strap and everything?

You don't need a straight razor to shave the mustache area. In my experience any razor will do the job if I follow the method described in post # 1.
If you are interested in trying out straight razors then you would need a Shave Ready straight razor, a leather strop and something to maintain the edge such as CrOx on balsa or a barber's hone. These items appear on BST regularly.

Top Bottom