What's new

Timeless Lather Bowl Mod Made It Better In My Opinion

Why ruin a perfectly nice bowl. These are cheap.

proxy.php

If Timeless made a version identical to yours, just an inch wider, I'd buy one for myself.

I am with ya 100 % Brother,

I totally think that would be an awsome design change for everyone in general that likes bowls for making lather.

I did send some pic's and some suggestions as a customer to Matt at Timeless. He did say they are open to suggestions and changes.

All The Best,
Bill G

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I know a guy that uses a coffee cup.

CLINK-CLINK-CLINK-CLINK-CLINK-CLINK-CLINK-CLINK-CLINK-CLINK.

But he's happy, so.

A bowl needs to be shallow and relatively flat, IMHO.

(below)

My textured, left-hand-hold, UFO-crash-salvage bowl.

AA

I have used the Captain's Choice bowl to make a lot of lather to bowl lather with. I found no problem with it because the sides curve in somewhat to help keep the lather where it belongs. What I didn't like about the Captain's Choice bowl is the ridges are going the wrong way.
They circle the bottom. The ridges should be like the Timeless and the Pereira bowl so they aggerate the soap better.
I got rid of my C.C. bowl and I find the Timeless to far superior to it.

I have used the Captain's Choice bowl to make a lot of lather to bowl lather with. I found no problem with it because the sides curve in somewhat to help keep the lather where it belongs. What I didn't like about the Captain's Choice bowl is the ridges are going the wrong way.
They circle the bottom. The ridges should be like the Timeless and the Pereira bowl so they aggerate the soap better.
I got rid of my C.C. bowl and I find the Timeless to far superior to it.

I never said the Timeless bowl was not a great lather making bowl or that the design was wrong in anyway. I just personally like bowls that are not as deep on the sides to make lather in. A personal choice again not a dig in anyway on the Timeless bowls design.

You got me?? saying the Captains Choice bowls ridges are going the wrong way they go in a circle. If you run the brush accross them in any direction or along with them your getting the agitation needed to help create lather. Like you mentioned I do like like how the side walls curve in on the Captains Choice bowls.

Yes the ridges do cross from the middle to the sides on the Timeless bowl. I suppose one could make the case the Timeless bowl is a more aggressive design for agitating the soap into lather.

I found no issues with either making a great lather. I still prefer the shorter sidewall design of the Captains Choice design and is the main reason I trimmed down my Timeless Blue Lather bowl.

For me I think the Captains Choice bowls are one of the better designed lather bowls available. Again I will state this is a personal choice and my own humble opinion only.

I really like both the bowls in the pic now there great. I also thought the Timeless bowl with the taller sides before I trimmed it was a darn good bowl to.

All The Best,
Bill G

IMG_3748.JPG

Captains Choice circular ridges low side walls .Timeless bowl cut down ridges from the
middle out a tad more aggressive.

Last edited:
I was trying to make the point that the Captain's Choice bowl sides work just fine at their height because the sides curve in somewhat. It's a great bowl but as you say it's a matter of personal preference.
The Fine bowl which is not high either is also a great bowl.

I was trying to make the point that the Captain's Choice bowl sides work just fine at their height because the sides curve in somewhat. It's a great bowl but as you say it's a matter of personal preference.
The Fine bowl which is not high either is also a great bowl.

Yes I totally agree. I did not mean to be long winded or sound like I did not totally get what you were saying. We are on the same page.

You are totally right on about the Fine bowl another great bowl design at a value price.

All The Best,
Bill G

So I finally modded my Proraso bowl. It doesn't look as good as @Earcutter 's but I am satisfied with it. Used a handsaw and got it done. Don't have any sanding paper so it won't be smooth but still "safe" to use.

So I finally modded my Proraso bowl. It doesn't look as good as @Earcutter 's but I am satisfied with it. Used a handsaw and got it done. Don't have any sanding paper so it won't be smooth but still "safe" to use.
Nice. I like mine way better now that it's a bit more shallow. You'll need some seriously fine sandpaper if you want it to be as smooth as new. It's an exercise lol.

I totally get it why you shortened it down. It's too small, essentially a mug without a handle. At least now your brush isn't banging on the walls. To my preference that's a loading bowl because it has no storage capacity. If I made lather in it, it will spill everywhere. But for priming the brush that will do a superb job.

These are proper sized lathering bowls.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
I have looked at that D.R.Harris lather bowl and it looks very nice, but I’ve always wondered if it was worth the $12,000,000 or so they are asking for it. What had been your experience with the DRH lather bowl?

Top Bottom