What's new

Thoughts on Shark Super Chrome blades?

Thsi has probably been asked 1000 times before, so let's go for 1001!

What has your experience been with Shark Super Chrome blades? What did you think of them?

I only used them for a single shave. I have nothing bad to say about them. I think they feel a lot like my favorite blade, the Treet Platinum, but maybe slightly less performant.

They are not on the high side of sharp like Nacets and Perma-Sharps, so if you like those, you probably won't like Shark Chrome. On the other hand if you like medium sharpness and you don't always have the best soap (I used Ivory soap handlather lol), you might like these. To give you an idea of where I am coming from, my two favorite blades right now are Treet Platinum and Dorco ST300.

I have a tuck of them in the variety pack I'm working through, and I've been impressed so far. I used them for a couple weeks in my Muhle R41, and they gave the smoothest shaves I've gotten so far with that razor (but not the closest shaves). I'm likely to buy a box of them to use with the Muhle.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I can't use them. I get a really horrible sensation from them.

You know how if you put a drinking glass on a wet glass tabletop/coaster/etc, it will slide freely left to right, but when you try to lift it there's a suction holding it back? I know I probably haven't described that well, but hopefully you catch my gist. Well, that's what I get from these blades.

They cut the hair well enough, but there's a kind of vacuum on each hair shaft as it cuts it, as if each hair is acting like the suckers on an octopuses tentacle, clinging to the blade as it passes. It's truly horrible. Not in terms of discomfort, but the kind of sensation that sets your teeth on edge, like sucking on a wooden lolly stick, or fingernails down a blackboard. Gruesome.

I haven't had that from any other blade, but I now steer well clear of any chromed blades from Egypt.

They cut the hair well enough, but there's a kind of vacuum on each hair shaft as it cuts it, as if each hair is acting like the suckers on an octopuses tentacle, clinging to the blade as it passes. It's truly horrible. Not in terms of discomfort, but the kind of sensation that sets your teeth on edge, like sucking on a wooden lolly stick, or fingernails down a blackboard. Gruesome.
I pictured this as I read your description. LOL

8opnvx5wolt21.jpg

The Shark Super Chrome gave me a horrible first shave with lots of blood (I guess perfect for Shark week!) I ditched it. It was so bad that I was scared to even try a Shark Super Stainless, but I overcame that and tried it. The Shark SS was a much better blade than the SC, not great, but better.

The Shark SC is the only blade that I have tried that I will never ever allow near my face again.

First, as I have said many times, it doesn't matter what we think of them. Blades are absolutely subjective. What is a great blade for one person can be a nightmare for others. Different beards, skin, razors, creams, brushes technique.

The Shark Super Chrome is a blade that on the first shave is in the low sharpness spectrum. If you have very tough whiskers and use a mild razor it will pull and tug very much. Also it is pretty rough. On shave 2 it gets sharper and smoother. On shave 3 even sharper and super smooth.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don’t mind them but they are not one of my favourite blades. I did buy a hundred of them before I tried one. I find the first shave quite harsh but they do mellow out somewhat and I have tried “corking” them before and that didn’t help much either.

If you search for Shark Week, you will find many opinions on these and the other Shark blades.

I want to like them, but in all honesty they are not really sharp enough for me...that said, it's not like I have tried them in many razors to find a perfect match. I am starting to think that blades like this actually go better for me in milder razors with a lower exposure / clamp distance. The reason is that with a high exposure / clamp distance the unsupported blade flexes and chatters because it isn't sharp enough to effortlessly glide through the whiskers. With a lower clamp distance, the edge is better supported, so there is less chatter and I can get away with applying a bit of pressure to get through the hair.

The Shark Super Chrome is a blade that on the first shave is in the low sharpness spectrum. If you have very tough whiskers and use a mild razor it will pull and tug very much. Also it is pretty rough. On shave 2 it gets sharper and smoother. On shave 3 even sharper and super smooth.
It's funny, so many blade reviews talk about how the first shave is rough or lacking but it gets better on the second or later shaves... why would anyone want to subject themselves to a poor shave or two just to get to the sweet spot of a blade for later shaves?🤔 I would rather have a great shave right from the first use and get several more before having to ditch a blade.

It's funny, so many blade reviews talk about how the first shave is rough or lacking but it gets better on the second or later shaves... why would anyone want to subject themselves to a poor shave or two just to get to the sweet spot of a blade for later shaves?🤔 I would rather have a great shave right from the first use and get several more before having to ditch a blade.
Tell me about it.
Won 300 in an auction. They were like 5-6 EUR for 100. :facep:

I don't like blades that change between shaves too.

That is usually indicative of a blade that uses a heavy coating of PTFE. Once that coating smooths out the blades are usually fine. I used to cork/strop some blades because of that.

Top Bottom