What's new

Thoughts on Parker 45

So I'm fairly new to FPs. I've had a couple Metropolitans. But the most recent two I had stopped working right shortly after I bought them. I also have a Pelikan M205, which I love but don't carry because I'm afraid to lose an expensive pen.
Now I want something new, probably vintage. I'm still looking around, but really like the looks of some NOS Parker 45s.
I was wondering what ya'll though about these pens? Are they real thin or have some heft?
Is there something else I should be looking at? I'm shooting for affordable but classy, for every day carry. A workhorse.
Thanks in advance for answering a question I know has been asked here a million times.

I have a couple of them. My only objection is that they are prone to section shrink. Otherwise they are nice workhorses.

I was wondering what ya'll though about these pens? Are they real thin or have some heft?
Is there something else I should be looking at? I'm shooting for affordable but classy, for every day carry. A workhorse.
Thanks in advance for answering a question I know has been asked here a million times.
The 45 is on the thin side compared to other Parker pens, but it's still quite comfortable to use. Length is 5.3" (135 mm), which is well in my comfort length for pens. If you can get an original aerometric converter, that's a plus. Very easy to maintain. Different nib widths, and the nibs are replaceable. Very good every day carry pen.

You can see the section problem here (not my picture, lended from the fpgeeks forum)

proxy.php

I think I can see what you mean. Stainless would clearly be prefferable. I'm looking at the NOS ones at Peyton Pens, which list a Flighter cap, but are colored bodies so clearly not stainless steel.
I'm also curious if anyone knows of other good places to get nice inexpensive NOS or close pens.

They are probably by favorite pen and I have a lot of different and nice pens. I've bought almost all of them from Ebay, I've ended up with a few that I had to salvage for parts, but that doesn't really bother me since I know I'll eventually use them to rebuild a few others. They are light and slender and the nibs are usually nail hard. I've bought most of them for less than $15 shipped and the rest for less than $10. I use them for loaners and to let clients sign forms since I can replace the nib in a matter of a few seconds if it becomes damaged.

All sorts of nibs are available most are steel in the common sizes and others are 14k gold in the three standard sizes and other italic and stub grinds. The old squeeze converters are nearly impossible to kill, and I've often bought a pen for the converter and cap if nothing else.

Like the other guys said the section can warp and shrink, I have a few that have a little damage, but the most are free of defects. I think they are more reliable and robust than Parker 21's and I think the nibs feel better on the P45, they are also really easy to clean and swap inks.

If you can find one the last Parker 45's produced were Cedar Blue with a gold nib and stainless cap, they are usually NOS, but often command up to $35 unless you get lucky.

Good luck, they are worth picking up, but may lead to other vintage pens.

I have three P45's - a Flighter with a 14k medium, a Made in Spain burgundy model with fine nib and a desk pen/set. I have been fortunate and none have had section shrinkage. All were purchased on ebay. I paid the most for the desk pen. Nice oak base with multiple compartments that could be used for things like other pens, paper clips etc. My flighter was actually the least expensive.

Top Bottom