What's new

Thinking of using coconut oil before my shaving cream

Hey everyone, I wanted to get your opinion and pick at your brain, i'm thinking of rubbing some cocnut oil in my beard before throwing some soap on my face, I feel like this will help with my shaves, what do you guys think? Are there any benefits to using coconut oil?

Bad idea. The oil will prevent water from penetrating your beard. Also its likely to prevent your beard from sticking up so the hairs can be effectively cut. Coconut fat is saturated and thick at room temperature this could be a nightmare.

If you would like a preshave option try Jack Black Beard Lube under lather. I use it solo but many guys used it under lather.

I would instead buy some shaving cream or soap made from coconut oil (aka cocos nucifera oil). Many of the greatest creams and soaps are made from coconut oil:

Acqua di Parma
Martin de Candre (MdC)
Tabac older formula with tallow

If you don't want to break the bank, the RazoRock soft Italian soaps from Italian Barber are a great value. I have The Dead Sea - and Santa Maria Del Fiore gets a lot of love.

You will also see that a lot of creams and soaps are made from coconut acid - a mixture of fatty acids derived from coconut oil.

I wanted to get your opinion and pick at your brain, i'm thinking of rubbing some cocnut oil in my beard before throwing some soap on my face, I feel like this will help with my shaves, what do you guys think?

I would second @SalS above with the Jack Black Beard Lube.
On his recommendations, I got some recently.
It worked well enough as a pre-shave, that I got some of the same JB Triple Cushion Shave Cream on the way
Also, any of the Prorasso Pre-shave cream in the jar. I love the green one.
Those are my two recommendations besides skip the coconut oil.

I agree that coconut oil is a bad idea. IMO pre shave oil in general is not very useful. That said, there are a lot of folks that would disagree.

Try using a soap with glycerin as a pre shave and then lather over it. You can find Pears at Dollar Tree.

You can also try using Cremo as a pre shave - really slick stuff.

It worked well enough as a pre-shave, that I got some of the same JB Triple Cushion Shave Cream on the way
I've also noticed over time, at least for me if I'm honest with myself, I get my most comfortable shaves using Proraso pre-shaves.
Currently have the triplet of red, white and the single blade Cypus Vetyver.
At times I find myself reaching for one of those even when I don't use the accompanying cream and A/S lotion.

• Coconut oil liquefies at around 78°F; it isn't axle grease.
  • The OP could be a straight-razor shaver, nullifying clogging objections.
  • Since coconut oil is a primary ingredient in so many esteemed shaving concoctions, does it seem so wildly implausible it could have some value on its own?

I agree that coconut oil is a bad idea. IMO pre shave oil in general is not very useful. That said, there are a lot of folks that would disagree.

Try using a soap with glycerin as a pre shave and then lather over it. You can find Pears at Dollar Tree.

You can also try using Cremo as a pre shave - really slick stuff.
I have some of that cremo cream at home so I might try that

I've also noticed over time, at least for me if I'm honest with myself, I get my most comfortable shaves using Proraso pre-shaves.
Currently have the triplet of red, white and the single blade Cypus Vetyver.
At times I find myself reaching for one of those even when I don't use the accompanying cream and A/S lotion.
I might try those out thank you very much

The Martin de Candre preshave is just a big tub of coconut oil really and is quite good imo. It certainly won't clog your razor unless you massively overdo it!!
Well I tried coconut anyway to try and experiment and it felt slick, oily face and shaving oil on top. I’m still going to buy a preshave oil but it didn’t feel to vas with the coconut oil but I still have to experiment

• Coconut oil liquefies at around 78°F; it isn't axle grease.
  • The OP could be a straight-razor shaver, nullifying clogging objections.
  • Since coconut oil is a primary ingredient in so many esteemed shaving concoctions, does it seem so wildly implausible it could have some value on its own?
Yes I am a straight razor shaver, I tried it anyway with my straight razor. Oily face with coconut oil and shaving cream in top and it felt slick

I use Jack Black Beard Lube solo but running low and tempted to try the triple shave cream. It has the same base as the Beard Lube.

Hey everyone, I wanted to get your opinion and pick at your brain, i'm thinking of rubbing some cocnut oil in my beard before throwing some soap on my face, I feel like this will help with my shaves, what do you guys think? Are there any benefits to using coconut oil?
It would be like a pre shave oil. Those usually contain 2-3 different oils plus some essential oil for good smells. Try it. It’s cheap and may work great.

I used to use olive oil as a preshave oil applied it on my face before applying the lather. It worked like a charm. I don't have any experience with coconut oil but my guess is it will work. Hey if it works it works despite what others might say.

I used to use olive oil as a preshave oil applied it on my face before applying the lather. It worked like a charm. I don't have any experience with coconut oil but my guess is it will work. Hey if it works it works despite what others might say.
I've been doing it for a couple of months now and as a straight razor shaver it does help a lot.

Top Bottom